U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 02:27 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Be careful are about these senior communities. I found that cliques to be the norm. Gossip and petty competitions are commonplace. Drinking alcohol, political/HOA discussions, and talk about people's sick care issues are the norm. People seem to make friends who came from the same state or same country. A lot of bragging about stuff they buy or cruise ship travels they went on. I found that it was like high school, but worse.
Please tell us where you "found" this and where your stats are coming from showing it's the norm for senior housing. These things are pretty much human nature at any age anywhere.

College dorms, apartment complexes that cater to young people of a certain social standing and social groups have similar situations. Heck, I've even seen gossip, petty talk and political discussions go in volunteer groups I've been in.

If you want to escape these things, go live on a deserted island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 02:36 PM

14,028 posts, read 20,336,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Drinking alcohol, political/HOA discussions, and talk about people's sick care issues are the norm
I am OK with 3/3.
We do that on our patio with our neighbors now. (Well, not the HOA part as we don't have one. We just decided to increase alcohol intake to make up for the lack of an HOA.)

Old 12-22-2018, 04:27 PM

6,643 posts, read 1,966,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Thanks, that was an interesting article. It seems to me that, faced with an unprecedented demographic change, it's going to take creative experimentation to figure out the approaches that will work best to make the "golden years" as happy as possible. But "You don't want to see your future" is something that will have to change if our society is going to handle aging more gracefully.
I'm guessing that by "demographic change," maybe you're referring to Baby Boomers? But this would be an increasing problem anyway, just in terms of longer lifespans in. say, the 1950s. I agree, an interesting article, but I just don't know if there's a happy solution.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 AM

256 posts, read 154,139 times
Some of these assisted living places charge for every single thing they do for you, such as a wakeup call or any delivery to your room or helping put your socks on.

As an individualist all my life, I would not fit in well. I have very particular interests beyond the norm that others would not understand or care about in the slightest.In short, I would be very bored, even with their bingo, classes, films, etc.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:08 AM

1,345 posts, read 469,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
An analytical look at retirement communities:

The Long Last Act: The Future of Aging
By Kim Tingley

All brands cultivate their image, but building communities for seniors typically requires a special degree of staging. “Architects are basically set designers,” David Dillard, the president of D2 Architecture, a senior-housing firm, told me. “We fight to diminish any icons of this being a senior place. We literally hide things. Inside the community — this is part of our struggle — you don’t want to see your future.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ritaville.html
Makes sense. My grandfather managed a nursing home when I was a young boy. The place depressed me even then, not because it was not well kept, or dark and gloomy (it wasnt).

The accommodations of old age were everywhere (wheel chairs, walkers, hand rails, and the smells of old age).

Who wants to move into that, knowing that is your future, in your face?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or