U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:44 PM

71,700 posts, read 71,801,099 times

Advertisements

you should be.. just curious why you let him save nothing ? my wife would have set me straight if i neglected things like savings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 03:49 PM

15,030 posts, read 21,753,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you should be.. just curious why you let him save nothing ? my wife would have set me straight if i neglected things like savings
I didnít let him do anything. I told him time and time again to open one up. He wouldnít. I canít force him to, heís a grown man.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:53 PM

71,700 posts, read 71,801,099 times
well i don't get involved in the relationships of others , but in my case , oh yeah she would have put her foot down and made me lay out a plan . she is very keen on her security after losing her first husband at a young age .

in fact i consider myself pretty savvy financially but i don't make a move without bringing her in to the loop and making sure she agrees with what i do .

she was financially ignorant and it burned her once already . as they say " never again "

Old 12-14-2018, 04:43 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,073,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesmarcelina158 View Post
The gentleman portrayed in the story is over 80 years old. When I was a teenager, over 50 years ago, I knew a lot of working class individuals just like this. Most never graduated from high school, and if they did, it was considered a big deal. Quite a few of my friends parents never graduated from high school, and if they did it, was considered a big deal. The father of my boyfriend when I was 16 years old worked in a sheet metal factory in Baltimore and had only in eighth grade education, like many of his coworkers. He was able to support a stay at home wife and 4 children, not lavishly, but adequately. They owned their own home and had one car. Vacations were visiting family a few hours away. Back in those days, not a lot of people had a college education and it was not expected that you needed one in order to get a job that could support a family. Now days you need a minimum of a college degree just to work at McDonaldís
I did not know that.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:05 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,345,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I didn’t let him do anything. I told him time and time again to open one up. He wouldn’t. I can’t force him to, he’s a grown man.
He maybe, but he’s married to you and that means you will be affected. I do our taxes so I put some money into Roth IRA or TIRA. I wouldn’t sign the tax form if I were you.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:48 PM

2,917 posts, read 1,591,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And there is also no explanation about why he would still be paying a mortgage now, 24 years after losing his job, after having a good job for 29 years.

Probably for the same reason my 92yo mother would still be paying one before we got her a reverse mortgage 5-6 years ago - several years of medical expenses piling up & refinancing the mortgage a few times to lower rates to free up some cash flow for immediate needs.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 PM

21,179 posts, read 11,803,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Probably for the same reason my 92yo mother would still be paying one before we got her a reverse mortgage 5-6 years ago - several years of medical expenses piling up & refinancing the mortgage a few times to lower rates to free up some cash flow for immediate needs.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Poor journalism means we are left to speculate about what should have been a very obvious question

Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 PM

227 posts, read 102,411 times
Quote:
I donít think hubby and I will ever be able to retire. I am terrified, we have hardly anything saved, and have gotten deep in debt. My husband lost his job two years ago and we have had a hard time getting back in our feet. To top it off he refuses to put anything into a 401k.

He has 9 years until he is 65. I am absolutely terrified.

Are you working veuvegirl and contributing to a 401k yourself? If not, can you? They say the best course of action for worry is action. You will feel better if you can at least take care of yourself and have your own work retirement plan. You probably have 10+ years until 65?
Can you ask him to explain his plan for income for retirement? Insist that he think about it and explain it to you!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:57 PM

15,030 posts, read 21,753,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
Are you working veuvegirl and contributing to a 401k yourself? If not, can you? They say the best course of action for worry is action. You will feel better if you can at least take care of yourself and have your own work retirement plan. You probably have 10+ years until 65?
Can you ask him to explain his plan for income for retirement? Insist that he think about it and explain it to you!
Yes, I have my own 401K and am putting as much away as I can. He just opened one up this year. So at least itís something. I just hate where we are, but know we are not alone.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 PM

227 posts, read 102,411 times
Quote:
Yes, I have my own 401K and am putting as much away as I can. He just opened one up this year. So at least itís something. I just hate where we are, but know we are not alone.

Good luck.
Be stern with him and take care of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or