U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 PM
 
2,443 posts, read 2,069,466 times
Reputation: 5690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
A benefit of the ETF is they trade like stocks which let you set the price you want to buy or sell at. In a mutual fund you have to buy and sell on the day you place the order and at the closing price.
So if I move some money to buy into a mutual fund at the end of the day after the market closes, do I buy in the next morning at previous day closing price or current day closing price?

Might be a stupid question so be gentle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2018, 02:32 PM
 
71,492 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Reputation: 49074
open ended mutual funds only trade once a day .as long as you get your order in with an open ended mutual fund , while the market is open you get the closing price that day . etf's can be bought all day long until the close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
1,362 posts, read 765,336 times
Reputation: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Fidelity and Vanguard both have some good growth funds that you should look at even at a slight fee. I really don't mind paying for that active management when I'm getting at least at least 3% above index performance year after year. If you have low returns you are not really protecting your assets.
Yes, I have some FBGRX and also some Select Funds, but the major part of Stock Allocation is in the wider index funds......I'm just a little risk averse at this stage.....CD Ladder acts as a sort of shock absorber.

I like the idea of the ETF's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Houston/Brenham
4,121 posts, read 4,693,633 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I know I am an outlier with this opinion, but why buy an Index Fund which is so broad that it includes guaranteed losers? The S&P 500 currently includes companies which have seen a 40% decrease in their stock prices this year.


I prefer other Mutual funds where the Managers are attempting to outperform rather than match the market, and where data is available which indicates their past success at achieving this feat.
Umm, maybe because past history has shown that none of these "outperformers" can outperform on a regular long-term basis? And the ones that do were not predictable, IOW, they weren't regularly beating the market before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 AM
 
71,492 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Reputation: 49074
really , none can outperform ? you may want to look up funds like fidelity contra , fidelity blue chip growth , fidelity growth co , etc ,etc and i only follow fidelity funds.

in fact a morningstar study shows if you simply pick from the top 20% mega size funds odds are the reverse . 80% of them will beat their index .

the problem is not stock picking . managers have no problem stock picking , the issues are most funds are to small in size . the fixed expenses eat up any alpha they get .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top