Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 01:14 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I hope to die in my home. As I have said many times, I honestly would prefer to die alone after suffering for days than to wind up in a depressing nursing home and be forced to live there for months or even years; and I am not the type to live in any kind of formalized 55+ community.

(Btw, in all likelihood, I will be an elderly shut-in in a rural location after my husband dies IF he dies before me, because I am a contented introvert without any close relatives or friends, or even any social acquaintances, and I don't see this changing. Of course, I have been wrong more times than I could possibly count, so I am not taking any bets!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 01:48 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
I expect my cancer will take me, and I hope for that to be soon after real deterioration sets in. I'd like to be home but don't want that burden on anyone else but paid medical professionals. No treatment to prolong life at that point, please. I have this in writing. All set ... except for the great unknown that may come my way tomorrow!

Old 02-26-2019, 01:55 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
How do I plan to die? It seems I made precious few plans on how to live, much less die. One day seemed to flow seamlessly into the next. I'm 66 now - hardly ancient, and yet I think, how did I get here? Or is that my own version of, where did the time go?

Well, when it's my time to go, I hope it's quick. I hope to have spent some time with my family, but also time by myself, to think, and to remember. I hope that my death is not a burden to others; that if people remember me at all, the memories are good ones that make them smile. I hope to have touched some lives along the way, so that, after I'm gone, some people might think of me from time to time, and that those thoughts are pleasant ones.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:56 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I shot my first pistol, a Smith & Wesson .38, about 20 years ago, and I was shocked at the pullback, which I wasn't anticipating, I didn't realize you had to grip the gun very tightly. For those that haven't ever fired a gun, this may prove unsuccessful.
Every so often is a news item about someone who botched a suicide attempt and blew his jaw off, or the side of his face. And then there is the mess you leave behind for someone to clean up. I think gun is a bad choice.

Last edited by TwoByFour; 02-26-2019 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 06:23 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Wow! Technology is great! We can now plan how to die?

Old 02-26-2019, 07:21 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
I’m always amazed at how disillusioned people on this board are about their longevity and their quality of life to the end....it usually becomes apparent in the SS at 62 or not discussions.

I’m not crazy. I’m probably going out due to a cardiac event, like the majority of Americans. I hope it happens before age 80, where something far worse probably awaits me.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
How do I plan to die? Well, we all know what Robert Burns wrote in "To a Mouse"...

Quote:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
For promis’d joy!
In any case, my daughter has instructions that when the time comes, she is to help me launch my kayak into the ocean with two-weeks supply of food and wave as I paddle off into the setting sun.

Realistically, I would be mightily blessed to pass unexpectedly and peacefully as I sleep some night in the far distant future.

Either that or I'll be clobbered some day by some inattentive driver while out riding my bicycle.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-27-2019, 05:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I plan on going after a night of partying, fooling around and finally dropping after sex with a beautiful woman.....hopefully she dresses me and leaves before my wife comes home.
All heart...and I'm sure you mean to be funny - but maybe you should divorce the woman that you don't want to spend your last moments with - she'll end up appreciating it.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:15 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
All heart...and I'm sure you mean to be funny - but maybe you should divorce the woman that you don't want to spend your last moments with - she'll end up appreciating it.
Lighten up. It was a joke.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:18 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
In a blaze of glory! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement