U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 10:44 AM

146 posts, read 67,369 times

Advertisements

I want to die just like my dog, he just looked over at me with this stupid look on his face tried to walk across the floor and just hit the linoleum, minutes later he was gone, gone, gone. I am glad it was quick for him and I was glad I was there for him. That is how I want it, nice and quick.

But we do not get to make that decision, stuff like that just happens.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 AM

31,717 posts, read 20,001,474 times
I don't have a plan, I have no idea how I will die. We are going to draw up our wills and include some info on right to die plans.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-27-2019, 10:59 AM

4,140 posts, read 2,587,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I want to die just like my dog, he just looked over at me with this stupid look on his face tried to walk across the floor and just hit the linoleum, minutes later he was gone, gone, gone. I am glad it was quick for him and I was glad I was there for him. That is how I want it, nice and quick.
Yes, similar for my dog. He loved chasing a tennis ball and one day I threw it for him, he ran, got it, brought it back and fell over dead. He was 11. Sounds like a good ending for me, but doubt I will be so lucky.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:00 AM

My first husband died from a heart attack, doctor said he was probably dead before he hit the ground.

That sounds good.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:20 PM

17,417 posts, read 21,259,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Every so often is a news item about someone who botched a suicide attempt and blew his jaw off, or the side of his face. And then there is the mess you leave behind for someone to clean up. I think gun is a bad choice.
Having worked in a LTC/Rehab facility for 17 years, 3 came into the facility, over that time span, with botched suicide attempts via guns. One 48YO man was left a vegetable, brain dead, hooked up to tubes. If creative, I'm sure you can find more sure-fire methods of ending your life.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times
I plan to die quick, easy and painless, just like i did the first time

All i have to is take something im *deathly* allergic to and I'll die quickly of anaphylactic shock like i did the first time. My heart just stopped and i dropped and was dead. Only this time i wont be at work, so no one to call 911 to revive me.

Simple really.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:41 PM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My first husband died from a heart attack, doctor said he was probably dead before he hit the ground.

That sounds good.
Yup thats about it. As per my previous post, my heart just stopped while standing there at work, and i knew nothing of it. Was dead before i hit the floor, HARD im sure, lol.

Ill die that way again, thankyou.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yup thats about it. As per my previous post, my heart just stopped while standing there at work, and i knew nothing of it. Was dead before i hit the floor, HARD im sure, lol.

Ill die that way again, thankyou.
As morbid as it sounds, I would think it kind of reassuring to have a guaranteed out like that.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:11 PM

226 posts, read 64,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Reminds me of something a friend once said.

If you get Alzheimers better make sure you kill yourself before you forget you wanted to kill yourself.
I'm working on designing a Rubik's Cube with a bomb in it.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:06 PM

21,917 posts, read 14,406,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Years ago, my dad told me he was not making some plans because he wouldn't live long enough for them to play out. Now that I'm moving into my last active decade, I see what he meant. I don't plan for 20 years in the future any more, because I will probably be dead.

One of the plans I have made is to age in place. If things work out, they will haul me out of here with a sheet over my face. With that in mind, we have remodeled one bathroom to be handicapped accessible, refinished interior and exterior with materials that won't need maintenance during our lifetimes, and bought a king sized bed that doubles as an invalid bed, with raising head and foot. We can hire a CNA, or even near full time home care, cheaper than assisted living, much less a skilled nursing facility. Just this morning my wife and I were discussing the possibility of plumbing our house for medical oxygen, so the noisy oxygen concentrator could be in the garage, far from the master bedroom. All it would take is some tubing and connectors.

We don't need any of that stuff right now, and may never need it. It's sort of a situational savings account, setting the house up for our inevitable debilitation and death. And that's the optimistic scenario, peacefully drifting off to the end.

[mod cut - instructions on suicide]

My state has physician assisted suicide, which requires jumping through several hoops. Even if you follow instructions, most hospitals here are run by the Catholic Church, and any doctor who participates in assisted suicide can lose his hospital privileges. They have this fixation with it greasing your skids into Hell. It's better to avoid the religious bureaucracy. It's easy enough to say your last Good Night on your own terms.

Some people are very lucky. My mother's best friend died between one tick of the clock and the next. They found her on the back porch with her boot laces still in her hands. A quick heart attack, massive stroke, or aneurism and you are gone. Unfortunately, you can't plan for that. My dad hoped for a heart attack, but he died of lung cancer. It took agonizing months. My mother just refused to have the battery in her pacemaker replaced, which was a gentler and more graceful way to go.

I see a lot of people here planning and worrying about retirement. Do you ever plan and worry for when retirement inevitably ends?

Have you told other people what those plans are?
And you have a plan for your nearest and dearest when they discover your body? Or are you going to off yourself in a vacant lot somewhere, and be found months later? Whoever discovers your body will be traumatized. Of course you'll be dead and won't care.

We hope to age in place, but who knows what will happen? We are all one catastrophe away from death or disability. The most sensible things to do your house is bathroom remodeling, as you plan to do, eliminating throw rugs as your legs become less reliable, putting rails up on porches and in other areas of your house, and possibly putting ramps into the house. If you live in a two story house, you need to downsize to a one story. Laundry should be on the main level, not in a basement. It is stuff like that that keep you safely in a house.

One good thing to do is to add a doorknob that unlocks with a punch code. That way, you can't ever be locked out. Otherwise, get a rescue key hidden around the outside of your house.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 03-07-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or