U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 11:33 PM

11,242 posts, read 11,265,004 times

Advertisements

Alzheimer's is not good but one good thing about it is that when you die you're not cognizant of the fact you're approaching death. You're probably much like a lower animal like a cat. I don't think my cat knew why she was getting skinny and weak. When we took her to the vet she looked up at me so pitifully just as the vet injected the secobarbital and potassium. Suddenly her eyes went blank and she just laid her head down gently and that was it. I''ll never forget that vacant look in her eyes when her heart stopped and her pupils went so wide her eyes turned black. That's how I'd like to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 01:02 AM

7,253 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Alzheimer's is not good but one good thing about it is that when you die you're not cognizant of the fact you're approaching death. You're probably much like a lower animal like a cat. I don't think my cat knew why she was getting skinny and weak. When we took her to the vet she looked up at me so pitifully just as the vet injected the secobarbital and potassium. Suddenly her eyes went blank and she just laid her head down gently and that was it. I''ll never forget that vacant look in her eyes when her heart stopped and her pupils went so wide her eyes turned black. That's how I'd like to go.

Is your vet on board with this?

Old 03-01-2019, 09:34 AM

8,965 posts, read 7,737,941 times
Ones plans may well change when there is only one of you versus a couple. I have told my son that if push comes to shove (I am far from that point) that I would be taking my own life. I told him come the time, we will make a plan.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:06 PM

2,432 posts, read 1,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Ones plans may well change when there is only one of you versus a couple. I have told my son that if push comes to shove (I am far from that point) that I would be taking my own life. I told him come the time, we will make a plan.
I’m reading you told your son, not that you asked him. You may want to rethink your approach and give him a choice in this.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:12 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,003,535 times
Nope, because when you're dead, you're dead. It's a very binary thing. And I won't care one way or another what happens after that.

No es mi problema.

@silibran - In Japan, there are so many elderly people living (and dying) alone that they have an actual word for it. Someone will have to "discover" the body whether you fell over dead of a stroke or decided to try breathing argon. I'm not going to feel bad about it either way. In point of fact, as you noted, I won't be feeling ANYTHING (nor care) because I will be dead.

Like I said. No es mi problema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Is your vet on board with this?
If he is, can I get his contact information?

Old 03-01-2019, 05:16 PM

3,985 posts, read 2,540,487 times
I let my much loved dog die naturally. I'm certain he knew he was dying. He was in a spot he liked to lie in.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:15 AM

39,257 posts, read 20,356,214 times
Comfort measures in the hospital --> morpheme. It seems they love to give that where you go to sleep and don't wake up. I don't care really, just so it's quick or not going down in a plane. Why do they insist on telling us how high up we are? I really don't want to know.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:08 AM

8,965 posts, read 7,737,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Iím reading you told your son, not that you asked him. You may want to rethink your approach and give him a choice in this.
It will be my decision, not his.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:21 PM

5,655 posts, read 4,881,665 times
I have already outlived my expectations.
God has intervened several times only behalf and I believe that I will exist for as long as God has determined .
I do not live carelessly ,but I am not a hypochondriac either .
I have hurt my self and have been healed , stepped off a roof and pushed back on again , had fires in confined spaces and fought fire as well.
I am not special , but my God is.
How I go doesn't matter ,
how I lived till then is all that matters .

Old 03-02-2019, 01:49 PM

10,332 posts, read 9,379,305 times
I plan to die during sleep. Wouldn't that be the perfect way? It would for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or