U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 PM

212 posts, read 121,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
38th Avenue bus. Splat.
Assume you are joking, but do not do this. Was on a train when someone did that, we were there for three hours. The police investigation probably took 10 seconds, the rest of delay was the lucky people cleaning up the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 11:10 PM

25,020 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Assume you are joking, but do not do this. Was on a train when someone did that, we were there for three hours. The police investigation probably took 10 seconds, the rest of delay was the lucky people cleaning up the mess.
I assume that he was joking. Really, I could never do that to the bus driver.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:10 PM

42 posts, read 9,665 times
Starting from 30,000 feet with my wife in the seat next to me. When the aircraft goes nose first in the ground at 800 knots itíll be over in a flash.

The house will sit for years until the state takes it due to non payment of real property taxes.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM

39,560 posts, read 2,987,493 times
When I am called home, I will go. I would only off myself, if I got a dementia dx.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 AM

64 posts, read 35,511 times
I am not planning on it, however, nobody knows when the end will come.
Three people I knew from work died suddenly with little to no warning, two went to sleep at night and never woke up (42 and 66) and another in his early fifties developed an infection (from what???) and by time they realized what it was it was too late, he was dead in two weeks.
If the day comes that I can no longer take care of myself then I do not want to do this life thing anymore and I will do what is necessary.
Right now it is tough, dealing with anxiety issues everyday, if death brings true peace then bring it on.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 AM

10,521 posts, read 8,762,464 times
I donate plan to die. I plan to keep healthy.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:31 AM

217 posts, read 62,767 times
The fuss about assisted suicide and our lack of ability to do it just shows how the state has insinuated itself everywhere.

You'd think that your own life is the one and only thing that your truly own, but I guess that just isn't in the cards.

A Roman would think we were crazy.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:14 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,346,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Starting from 30,000 feet with my wife in the seat next to me. When the aircraft goes nose first in the ground at 800 knots itíll be over in a flash.

The house will sit for years until the state takes it due to non payment of real property taxes.
So if you start at 30,000 feet, how many minutes of terror will you endure as you plunge to the ground?

Old 03-04-2019, 01:32 PM

25,020 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So if you start at 30,000 feet, how many minutes of terror will you endure as you plunge to the ground?
I never got an A in math.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 PM

42 posts, read 9,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Good question. I can help you out on that a little.

We were at just over 10,000 feet in a Huey. Had just put six guys out the side doors for a demonstration jump for the post commander. We were over 10K because stuff got messed up inside and it took me longer to get the guys sorted out so theyíd exit one by one out each side, that keeps the balance mostly even. In a helicopter you have to be ascending so you donít get them into the tail rotor. We were only cleared to 10K by airport flight control because after that youíre in big aircraft airspace. So, flight control is yelling at us because weíre to high and Iím booting there guys out as fast as I can get them out the door. Out our youíre riding back down with us.

Last row go out, I call all jumpers are clear. Newbie copilot dumps the collective. Engine goes into over speed. Over speed govener activates and the engine, the only one we have, flames out. Rotor speed goes over max allowable. Pilot in command takes over get the rotor speed within tolerance and we enter autorotation. The whole air frame shudders like nothing any of us three have ever experienced before.

Pilots initiated an engine relite. Iím ordered to look back to see if we still have a tail rotor, we do. So for nothing falling off.

I know what the shudder was all about. We had a sudden stoppage on the drivetrain system. This means the drivetrain sort of went backwards for a moment. This can cause catastrophic damage and it could only be a matter of time before we have partial or complete failure. Weíre dropping so fast our ears are popping.

We get a relite and weíre back under power at about 4,000. Head straight to the pad, we did whole the thing above the airfield.

So, back to your question. You donít have time to be terrified when you think youíre about to die. You live in the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or