U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 02:35 PM

292 posts, read 172,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I just read that the state of MD's House of Delegates just passed a bill that would allow a Doctor to provide the means to take your own life. Has to get past the State Senate, and the Governor, so it probably won't make it to law. I think it should. They seem to have safeguards built into it. Prior to this, it would never get out of committee.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...301-story.html
A few people on the news said even if it makes it Gov Hogan will probably not pass it because it could hurt him politically in the future. I know many who are watching this closely and were encouraged it passed one step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 11:09 AM

13,753 posts, read 12,718,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I understand your position, but I spent 5 years working the phones at a suicide prevention hotline. Nobody ever killed themselves because of talking about it. The ones who die are the ones who never say anything.

The means are all around us.
I don't. I mean, the post above yours mentions a gun. I think we all know that we could potentially use a gun to end our lives, so is that considered "detailed instructions" on how to commit suicide? Meanwhile, other posts were deleted that mentioned potential methods that I think people would be far less likely to try.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:06 PM

1,696 posts, read 610,929 times
I would like to die very healthy in my sleep. One theory of aging/death of the old age is that some aspects of your respiratory function normally eventually drop below your basic metabolic oxygen consumption, and you just get extinguished like a candle.

If it has to involve pain and suffering, I want a sufficient dose of morphine to abolish pain and suffering, and if that dose also abolishes breathing, so be it. I don't think I'll ever be actively suicidal, but I wouldn't mind accidental death while in pursuit of relief of suffering.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:09 PM

4,817 posts, read 1,832,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I understand your position, but I spent 5 years working the phones at a suicide prevention hotline. Nobody ever killed themselves because of talking about it. The ones who die are the ones who never say anything.

The means are all around us.
How could you possibly know who dies and who doesn't from working phone lines?

Old 03-13-2019, 01:27 PM

494 posts, read 948,994 times
Plan 'A' is to live forever!

next best would be to get 'caught up in the air' with Jesus while I'm out hunting in the woods or fishing on my kayak.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:30 PM

15,159 posts, read 13,423,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Plan 'A' is to live forever!

next best would be to get 'caught up in the air' with Jesus while I'm out hunting in the woods or fishing on my kayak.
Be careful what you wish for.

Your last years could be spent sitting in a wheelchair, parked in a hallway somewhere, wearing dirty diapers and slobbering all over yourself all day long.

If you are lucky, your mind will be so far gone you won't realize it.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:26 PM

12,233 posts, read 12,495,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How could you possibly know who dies and who doesn't from working phone lines?
It wasn't Alcoholics Anonymous. We knew their names, their phone number, where they lived, what their family was like, what they did for a living (or not) and many other details of their lives. Death notices, of course, are published.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:08 PM

110 posts, read 20,898 times
Default Practicality, choces

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Perhaps threads like this discussing what is the best way to off yourself, serious or otherwise have a more appropriate place in the psychology section regardless of how old you are....just saying
I think there’s a difference between being suicidal and wanting control of how one’s life ends, no?

I have thought about this a lot. I barely have 6 years of resources, I’m in poor health and I’m a dacde too young for SS. I never earned much. Medicaid in my state is not useful.

If I develop a more severe health issue, I can either spend what little I have, hoping it’ll be cured, sunshine and roses. OR I can make my own choices, enjoy whatever I have left and leave whatever I have left for my kids.

If I get ill, I’d rather have palliative meds than lose every asset I could give my kids to pay down their college debts and give them a better chance for their future.

If I had more funds, it sure would be different. I love my humble, frugal life. I’m terrified of death. But I don’t want to outlive what I have, suffer, give nothing to my kids. I’d love to have more money and good health care. I don’t.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 PM

110 posts, read 20,898 times
I’d like to avoid long term suffering that costs a bunch of money.

Last edited by paperwing; 03-13-2019 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: I was off topic before

Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 PM

12,233 posts, read 12,495,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
I think thereís a difference between being suicidal and wanting control of how oneís life ends, no?

I have thought about this a lot. I barely have 6 years of resources, Iím in poor health and Iím a dacde too young for SS. I never earned much. Medicaid in my state is not useful.

If I develop a more severe health issue, I can either spend what little I have, hoping itíll be cured, sunshine and roses. OR I can make my own choices, enjoy whatever I have left and leave whatever I have left for my kids.

If I get ill, Iíd rather have palliative meds than lose every asset I could give my kids to pay down their college debts and give them a better chance for their future.

If I had more funds, it sure would be different. I love my humble, frugal life. Iím terrified of death. But I donít want to outlive what I have, suffer, give nothing to my kids. Iíd love to have more money and good health care. I donít.
The people who were taking a rational approach to suicide were very interesting. They called in because they were exploring all their alternatives. I remember a guy named Mike who was a 30 year old epileptic. He was on heavy drugs that turned him into a zombie, but still not controlling his seizures. He couldn't hold a job, had no relationships or contact with humans, and didn't see things getting better. He made perfect sense, and was just looking for an alternative before he took the final step. I recruited him as a volunteer, and also got him an appointment with a really good psychiatrist who could adjust his meds.

Since those days, they have discovered new meds and developed electronic brain implants that will stop a seizure. I don't know how things worked out for him, but I hope he went on to have a good life.

We all die. I hope everyone in this forum has come to terms with that. Even if you are determined to leave hand prints in the headstone, you need to have a will and a financial statement. You need to have a designated executor, and if there are no family members to handle the job, hire a law firm to do the work. It can be a huge job. Don't dump it on a kid with no legal experience unless they are the sole heir.

When you die, somebody will have to clean up your mess. If you want a funeral, pay for it yourself, either through burial insurance or a pre-paid funeral plot, headstone, etc. If you haven't done that, it becomes obvious why your kids ended up a bunch of bums. Die with pride and dignity. After the heart attack, stroke, or in the middle of chemo and radiation is too late. You will be drugged out of your mind or dead. Do it now. Talk to an attorney and an estate planner. If you are old enough to retire, you are old enough to get your affairs in order.

Suicide is a basic human right that no government has ever been able to block, but very few of us will actually do it. Still, it's a consideration. If you are past retirement age, you are 50% more likely to commit suicide than other age groups. In most cases, quality of life deteriorates below what is tolerable. You could end up like Mike, making a rational choice that you are the end of your life. Do what Mike did. Look for options. If nothing else, Hospice is designed to let you die comfortably. Let your loved ones know that Hospice is there because you are dying soon. If necessary, they will grease the skids with a fentanyl patch and you will die without recovering consciousness.

If you decide to off yourself, please do not use a gun. If you use a gun, go outside to do it. I have helped a daughter clean the bed and bedroom of her father after he ate a bullet. It was ugly. You would not believe the mess. Have a little pride. 2/3 of all gun deaths are suicides, and they need to find a neater way to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or