U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM

1,518 posts, read 974,563 times

Advertisements

I'll let you know when I get there.

I would like to be put on an Indian funeral pyre in front of the Sierra Club's headquarters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 PM

56,083 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't want to be morbid, but if I am ever widowed and alone and feel that I am starting to lose my mental abilities, I plan on putting a lot of sleeping pills in Haagen Dazs chocolate chocolate chip ice cream (my favorite) with the word "poison" on the lid (in case a caregiver or whoever decides to help herself) in the freezer. I figure that if I am ever that demented, I won't be able to understand what 'poison' means and will just reach for the ice cream.

Or I might just to decide to end it all for whatever reason and go out with a smile on my face and chocolate ice cream on my chin!
This is such a great idea. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,904 times
I'm kind of an obsessive planner. I spent about 35 years planning my retirement - going back to school, changing careers, more school, saving and investing..... Now that retirement is here I'm not going to think about it all coming to an end.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 PM

12,255 posts, read 12,503,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Perhaps threads like this discussing what is the best way to off yourself, serious or otherwise have a more appropriate place in the psychology section regardless of how old you are....just saying
This is not about how to commit suicide, it is about planning for death. As retirees, we often think about it, and the older we get the more imminent it becomes.

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned prepaid funerals yet. One fun thing I picked up from reading Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club is a nifty memorial party. I'll be cremated and my ashes divided up into small, sculpted collector boxes. Anyone who wants one can take some of my ashes and do with them what they will. They can sprinkle them where I could be remembered, or someplace that was special to us, or they can flush them down the toilet if they are still mad at me about something. The box gets to be a keepsake. I have keepsakes of friends who have died, and they mean a lot to me.

Your life span after you retire depends on your health, but half of all people who retire at 65 won't make it 20 years. People who retire earlier don't make it that long, but the numbers are skewed by the fact that people often take early retirement because of poor health.

Barring acute health problems, the decade of your 70s is going to be your last active decade. By the time we are in our 80s, time takes its toll. We will face increasing disability, either mental or physical, and perhaps both. Most of us will not make it to 90. It would be nice if all of us drifted dreamily into the hereafter, but for many of us that will not happen. Choosing not to spend our final years in disability and pain is a rational choice. Sadly, dementia and stroke will rob many of us of the ability to make that choice

So how are you going to die? Do you have an Advance Medical Directive if you are unable to express your wishes? Do you have a DNR, or do you want them to put you on life support? A DNR is you volunteering to die, and nobody suggests you need a shrink if you sign one. Every elderly person needs an Advance Medical Directive, witnessed, notarized, and filed with every doctor and hospital you might end up with. If you are not planning for your death, you are screwing up big time.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:40 PM

802 posts, read 772,538 times
There was a time (not too terribly long ago) where I felt it would be proper to be struck by lightning, while out horseback, moving pairs or riding fenceline...but I've heard too many stories of how that tends to kill the horse as well...so I guess I'll have to settle-on either being mashed against a sturdy fence by a pissed-off range-cow or bull (while sorting in an alley) or I'll maybe have a heart-attack while digging-out a feed-truck, stuck in a snow-drift (on my way to or from feeding cows in a blizzard...

...or it'll be a combination of either heat-stroke + a heart-attack while digging post-holes by myself, out on the fenceline, in 100+ degree heat...

...but my money is on my being bit by a 'snattle-rake' (also while out on the fenceline) because I typically have my iPod turned-up loudly (with high-quality ear-buds) and I won't notice the coiled-up snake until it's too late. Heat-exhaustion does that, regardless of how tuff one is, or THINKS one is.

As high-strung/hypertensive as I am, it'll likely be the 'shock' that'll kill me, rather than the neurotoxin in the venom...lol

And that'll be the story of me.

Not worried. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go...and that's all there is to it.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 PM

7,254 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Perhaps threads like this discussing what is the best way to off yourself, serious or otherwise have a more appropriate place in the psychology section regardless of how old you are....just saying

The people over there have enough problems. No need to give them extra pointers on how to off themselves.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My best case, realistic scenario is to die in hospice after getting palliative care.
+1. "Palliative care" is code for good drugs, works for me.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:11 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,166,874 times
For those of you contemplating suicide, just remember that you'll leave behind a wake of horror that words can't describe. And for the loved one that finds you, they'll never be the same again. Never. If you kill yourself (even for a "good" reason), it will introduce an indescribable amount of pain into your family's life from which there is no recovery. NONE.

In a decade or two, your loved one will find some normality again but every time a phone call is not answered or every time a text is ignored, they'll hyperventilate and panic and start to feel nauseous.

Just FYI.

Speaking as a "suicide widow" - all of these points are spot on: 10 Things You Should Know Before You Kill Yourself

Points #2-7, and #10 were the most accurate and the most horrible.

So before you go with the helium and the bag over your head (as another poster said), please think about what you're doing to your loved ones.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:32 AM

7,924 posts, read 5,039,870 times
All 10 points noted in the article linked above, refer to family members... specifically, spouse and/or children. And these are poignantly valid points.

But may I venture to suggest, that the contemplation of the act, by both circumstance and motivation, concerns mainly a person who has no living relatives? No spouse, no kids, no parents, no siblings, no nephews, no aunts, no n-th cousin m-times removed? In retirement, there are no coworkers. One's former mates and comrades have passed on, or grown distant and unresponsive. There is no drama to be courted, no message to be sent, no revenge to be extracted, no imprint to be struck... only the internal ghosts, the cranial ghosts, diaphanous, threadbare, huddling in folds of gray-matter, throbbing.

Who said it first, who said it best; was it Pascal - he, of wager-fame? "Everyone dies alone".

Old 12-14-2018, 03:55 AM

15,164 posts, read 13,429,410 times
Most of the 10 points in that article wouldn't apply to someone who is elderly and compromised physically or someone suffering a terminal illness.

.....and, it isn't a given that you have to commit suicide in your own home. If physically able, you could find a relatively isolated place to do the deed, the woods, an abandoned building, a hotel, etc.

For instance, a man who is found dead in the woods with a handwritten note explaining he killed himself because he had terminal cancer wouldn't have to worry about his home becoming a crime scene or his wife becoming a murder suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or