U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 05:13 PM

579 posts, read 375,076 times

Advertisements

How do i plan to die?
Hopefully, with a hooker and a speed ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 05:21 PM

13,761 posts, read 12,732,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
There is a good book that is a discussion not only of the topic in an overview manner, but also discusses the very practical drawbacks or pluses of various means that can be used. One section that anyone considering this ought to read is the "Risky Drugs" drugs chapter.

The idea of a handful of pills may a poor blanket idea, even if the pills under consideration are narcotic. And if your stomach has been chronically stressed, you want to be sure that you don't just barf up your pills.

The book is Final Exit, Derek Humphry, Delta publishers.
Thanks! I just watched a video online where the author talks about the methods detailed in the book. His demonstration of the helium tank method seemed pretty quick and easy. Supposedly you would go into a coma within seconds and die within 3 to 5 minutes, so that sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully itís not too easy to mess up and just end up brain damaged but still alive. Iíll have to research it more.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:04 PM

12,268 posts, read 12,511,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
The problem with this sort of planning... what if I spend all day today working out lengthy details for how I plan to die at 87--but then tomorrow I'm hit by a bus?
Don't put off until tomorrow what you can avoid completely? Just make plans with no expiration date. You have to update your will and financial statement regularly anyway. Anyone with relatives should have those things on file, no matter what age you are.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
modcut - deleted post
I'm sorry that you were traumatized by your husband's death. It sounds like he was thoughtless. At the very least he should have put his affairs in order. Much of your financial difficulty could have been avoided by simple measures like giving you signature authority on all accounts, making you joint owner of vehicles and your home, etc.

I'm not advocating that anyone kill themselves, but the cold fact is that suicides in men spike after age 75. The planning for intentional death is the same as planning for an unintentional death. Dumping all your problems on survivors is cruel and unnecessary. Who knows? If you clean your life up and get your affairs in order, maybe suicide won't look so attractive.

FYI, I have already discussed with my wife the conditions that would lead to my voluntary exit from life. She knows I won't leave a mess. I know exactly how tough it can be on survivors, because our 19 year old son killed himself 31 years ago. I still have unresolved anger about that. If I could dig him out of the grave, I would strangle him with my bare hands. Even so, it was his choice, not mine. Dealing with that anger when your heart has been ripped out may be the hardest thing you ever do, but you have to deal with it or it will ruin the rest of your life.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 12-15-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-14-2018, 06:30 PM

673 posts, read 2,029,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You go first, let us know how it goes, for me I’m too chicken.
That’s where Jack Daniels enters the picture.

Note:
Somebody just played it out on the Carnival Victory - searching for the overboard passenger now. Near the Florida Keys.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:44 PM

13,236 posts, read 6,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Thatís where Jack Daniels enters the picture.

Note:
Somebody just played it out on the Carnival Victory - searching for the overboard passenger now. Near the Florida Keys.
I know, I donít have to search. This is why I donít do cruises.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:27 PM

15,164 posts, read 13,435,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I wouldnít do that to my kids, the long term effect is really harsh, I donít want to screw them up forever. No way. I love my kids too much.
A friend of mine just watched her father die of cancer, writhing and moaning in agony for days before his doctor worked his way up to an effective pain medication at a high enough dose to relieve her father's pain. {Did the doctor take baby steps due to the current anti-opiod hysteria sweeping the country? Perhaps.}

All of the hours and days she spent next to his bed watching him suffer needlessly were really harsh and are going to negatively effect her forever too.

To top it all off, 7 days after her father died her 2 year old dog stood up, took a few steps and literally dropped dead. A necropsy could find no obvious cause of death.

All of this with Thanksgiving right in the middle.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 934,183 times
Iím leaving this life exactly how the good Lord intends for me to go. Why should I spend any time fretting or even thinking about it?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,937,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
mod cut - deleted post

Once you're dead you're dead. Survivors will mean nothing to you. Nothing will mean anything - except maybe your last thought - and that's just maybe.

Japanese have been suiciding themselves since time immemorial. They don't look particularly stressed or eviscerated to me.

I was born with dignity, lived my life with dignity, I wanna die with dignity. So, I draw the line at dementia or a nursing home existence. Not interested. DNR

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 12-15-2018 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Iím leaving this life exactly how the good Lord intends for me to go. Why should I spend any time fretting or even thinking about it?
It's always nice to meet a Christian. Sell all you own, give the money to the poor, and wait to die. It's not my cup of tea, but good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or