Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 03:48 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Yikes, I really haven't given it any thought and really don't want to. How about them Bears? They are going all the way this year.

I know what you mean. Such thoughts are unbearable!

I couldn't resist the pun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 03:50 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
i plan on being killed by a jealous husband.
Hahaha! Hope it's quick.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:54 PM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather , not like all those people yelling and screaming on his bus. Ha ha

Old 12-13-2018, 04:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Oh lord I never thought of this subject in my 60's...talk about morbid. Now at 80 it's entered my mind more. Hopefully in sleep.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:13 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Such topics arise frequently. But isn't death the quintessential thing for which it's impossible to plan? Sure, it's tempting to be Armchair Stoic, pronouncing this or that emergency-plan, some remedy to solve Hamlet's dilemma, Brutus falling on his sword, Socrates drinking hemlock, etc., etc. Who realistically as such fortitude?

A close relative of mine died from pancreatic cancer. Said relative was in admirably good health, before the coming of disease. 33 months and ghastly debilitation (from "treatment", as well as the disease), said relative finally died... at home, in bed. Sure, Hospice helps, and they have pain-killers (of uncertain efficacy). But becoming bedridden, incontinent, delirious, exhausted... a process of many weeks, not days, let alone hours... not pleasant.

Birth and death are both in pain. How ought we to justify what's intervening?

Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quickly.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:43 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Planning for old age is one thing; planning one's death is another.

Every year the day of my birth comes around. Every year, that other day comes around, too, but I don't know what it is. I don't want to know, and I don't think I'm supposed to know.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Good tip on the argon. I'm always on the lookout for something like that. If stuff like this was better known, people could make their own informed choices. BUT, you'd have to "go" together, or wouldn't the surviving spouse be held liable/complicit?

No more long-range plans. I'll plant a garden but not a tree, LOL (age 63). Thinking to take trips that require agile mobility sooner rather than later.
Hmm. I am 63, and I will be planting lots of trees next fall.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Years ago, my dad told me he was not making some plans because he wouldn't live long enough for them to play out. Now that I'm moving into my last active decade, I see what he meant. I don't plan for 20 years in the future any more, because I will probably be dead.

One of the plans I have made is to age in place. If things work out, they will haul me out of here with a sheet over my face. With that in mind, we have remodeled one bathroom to be handicapped accessible, refinished interior and exterior with materials that won't need maintenance during our lifetimes, and bought a king sized bed that doubles as an invalid bed, with raising head and foot. We can hire a CNA, or even near full time home care, cheaper than assisted living, much less a skilled nursing facility. Just this morning my wife and I were discussing the possibility of plumbing our house for medical oxygen, so the noisy oxygen concentrator could be in the garage, far from the master bedroom. All it would take is some tubing and connectors.

We don't need any of that stuff right now, and may never need it. It's sort of a situational savings account, setting the house up for our inevitable debilitation and death. And that's the optimistic scenario, peacefully drifting off to the end.

[mod cut - instructions on suicide]

My state has physician assisted suicide, which requires jumping through several hoops. Even if you follow instructions, most hospitals here are run by the Catholic Church, and any doctor who participates in assisted suicide can lose his hospital privileges. They have this fixation with it greasing your skids into Hell. It's better to avoid the religious bureaucracy. It's easy enough to say your last Good Night on your own terms.

Some people are very lucky. My mother's best friend died between one tick of the clock and the next. They found her on the back porch with her boot laces still in her hands. A quick heart attack, massive stroke, or aneurism and you are gone. Unfortunately, you can't plan for that. My dad hoped for a heart attack, but he died of lung cancer. It took agonizing months. My mother just refused to have the battery in her pacemaker replaced, which was a gentler and more graceful way to go.

I see a lot of people here planning and worrying about retirement. Do you ever plan and worry for when retirement inevitably ends?

Have you told other people what those plans are?
I don't "plan" to die any particular way. When my time comes, I accept that. I don't want to suffer or linger if there is no hope for me in a terminal illness. Who does?

If it came to suicide, for whatever reason, I have thought of how I would do it and where.

I am not afraid of death. I have more friends and family, including my spouse, on the other side now than here. Que sera.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 03-07-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 07:16 PM

605 posts, read 335,628 times
I will die of a heart attack.

Or maybe doing something the world deems as heroic

Likely die of a heart attack but maybe cancer or a stroke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement