Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Now this is my kind of thread. Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I'm taking notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 01:11 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
The problem with this sort of planning... what if I spend all day today working out lengthy details for how I plan to die at 87--but then tomorrow I'm hit by a bus?

Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Now this is my kind of thread. Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I'm taking notes.
There is a good book that is a discussion not only of the topic in an overview manner, but also discusses the very practical drawbacks or pluses of various means that can be used. One section that anyone considering this ought to read is the "Risky Drugs" drugs chapter.

The idea of a handful of pills may a poor blanket idea, even if the pills under consideration are narcotic. And if your stomach has been chronically stressed, you want to be sure that you don't just barf up your pills.

The book is Final Exit, Derek Humphry, Delta publishers.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:34 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
The problem with this sort of planning... what if I spend all day today working out lengthy details for how I plan to die at 87--but then tomorrow I'm hit by a bus?
So? What if you don’t get hit by a bus? I personally think it’s better to have a death plan regardless, just like we plan for everything else. I’m in my 30s, but I still think about how I want to die in the future. But if you’d just rather deal with whatever death is in store for you without making an attempt to die on your own terms, that’s certainly your choice to do so.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:16 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,200 times
This Thread reminded me of the poem about the Cowboy's Last Wishes. I present it here, without further comment......

There's two things in life
that I really love
that's wimmen and horses—
of this I'm sure of.

So when I die,
please tan my hide
and tool me into
a saddle so fine,
and give me to a cowgirl
who likes to ride.

So that in the hereafter
I may rest
between the two things
that I love best.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:43 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,079 times
I just want to ask (and I don't have bad intention just out of curiosity and I just wanna hear different perspectives from senior people):

1. How do you feel that you will be gone soon? Scared? Sad? Happy because you're tired of living?
2. If given a chance, do you prefer to live longer like 50 more years?
3. Are you prepared? did you serve your purpose well? What purpose is that?

I'm in my mid 30's and death scares me a lot. Probably because I still have young kids depending on me. I travel for work and I always get anxiety every single flight knowing that anytime the plane would crash and what's gonna happen to my kids?

If I'm alone in life, I probably wouldn't care of death.

My mom in law is 75 and she's still scared of death. I feel that she still haven't served her purpose in life. One of her sons is still unstable in life and she's the only one really cares for him while others ignored him for a long time.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:00 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Imagine how you would sound on 911 if you change your mind?
That made me laugh out loud!

Yes, I do think about the end. I am eight years younger than my husband and in much better health, so I am expecting to outlive him. We have no children, grandchildren or other close relatives. That means I'll be on my own. If I should lose my ability to care for myself and a long, slow decline seems inevitable, I would choose to go out on my own terms when I'm still compos mentis. Either a tank of helium or a pint of coffee ice cream would do, though I would prefer the former. With the latter, there might be a chance that you would choke on your own vomit. Not a pretty idea. I would prefer to either die in my sleep or go quickly with a heart attack or aneurysm.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:03 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I wouldn’t do that to my kids, the long term effect is really harsh, I don’t want to screw them up forever. No way. I love my kids too much.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:05 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Don't have a plan, but if I am on life support.. I'd want my next of kin to unplug me....and then plug me back in and see if that works.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Don't have a plan, but if I am on life support.. I'd want my next of kin to unplug me....and then plug me back in and see if that works.
I told my kids, to keep us on for 100 days on life support(I believe that’s the number of days Medicare would pay) if there are no sign, just unplug it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement