U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:21 PM

495 posts, read 381,978 times

Advertisements

Absolutely!
Just added a second bicycle to the stable this past June!
Attached Thumbnails
Are you still bicycling?-01-pennyfarthing.jpg   Are you still bicycling?-20180630-qu-ax-penny-farthing.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:33 PM

12,295 posts, read 15,187,836 times
Still riding, but I am only 63.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:58 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
Absolutely. One of my passions. I have a cruiser/comfort bike and a hybrid. I just put a flat bar road bike on layaway for my birthday in a few months.

I prefer to ride the local railtrails away from traffic, though I have ridden some out the door to the grocery down the street and around the residential areas for fitness.

This and walking are my thing. I need to do more of both. Kinda slacked off here of late.

I am 63. Been riding since age 5.

🚴

Old 12-13-2018, 07:07 PM

31,628 posts, read 19,947,296 times
We sure do, we use them on multiple surfaces. Plus they are great for taking the dogs on a run.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 12-13-2018, 07:19 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,136,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We sure do, we use them on multiple surfaces. Plus they are great for taking the dogs on a run.
Yikes! I had two friends have serious crashes cycleing due their dogs crossing in front of their bikes. I hope you are not using a lease while riding

I mountain bike. Much safer than road biking. I custom built both of my bikes as well as Mrs5150’s Hardtail. We are fortunate to have a dirt trail a 100 yards from our house.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yikes! I had two friends have serious crashes cycleing due their dogs crossing in front of their bikes. I hope you are not using a lease while riding

I mountain bike. Much safer than road biking. I custom built both of my bikes as well as Mrs5150ís Hardtail. We are fortunate to have a dirt trail a 100 yards from our house.
They are on a leash, and have a healthy respect not to cross the wheel.

We tried a lease, but our attorneys said it is not valid.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 PM

221 posts, read 115,909 times
Unless one is on private property, riding a bike with a tethered dog is unsafe as irresponsible.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Unless one is on private property, riding a bike with a tethered dog is unsafe as irresponsible.
Yay! Our neighborhood is private property.

Not sure how that makes or disputes the safety issue.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 PM

25,976 posts, read 32,978,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I just got back on one for the first time in years, being overly timid after my artificial hip dislocation.

But only on the hard beach sand---no pavement for me (and the crazy drivers here). I think the sand is a better work-out, since I'm pretty worn-out afterwards, compared to walking. My theory is if I fall, the sand might "save me" from further injury.

Or have you given up this possibly-risky sport?

(Mathjak, I know you race competitively, but we know you and the missus are outliers! )
I've never stopped. I'm 63. BF does serious single-track MTB racing, but I just do recreational riding. 10-20 miles is what we usually do when we ride together (he does much longer mileage for a race). I had a pretty good crash last year, but just a gash on my leg - took forever to heal but all good now. Have a gravel bike and a mb, enjoy both as often as I can. I don't try to do anything that is really risky - I leave the rocky trails and tree roots to him and his race buddies.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 12-13-2018 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 PM

83 posts, read 64,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Absolutely!
Just added a second bicycle to the stable this past June!
GuyInSD, that's an awesome bike! The light on it is fantastic, like a work of art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement