U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 08:56 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,540,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There's a couple of guys in our part of town that have big, strong pit bulls. They use them on leashes to tow them on either their bicycles or skateboards. It's amazing how fast and far those dogs can go. They obviously love it, just like sled dogs. And they are very careful to keep themselves from getting tangled and never go on the opposite side of a mailbox post, from the riders.
Holy Cow! That reminds me of those Scandinavians who have horses pull them on skis. J-something. Can't look it up 'cause I can't spell it!

I tried that once with a Russian Wolfhound and a skateboard. It did not end well!

Young and stupid!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 09:00 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,540,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
A few years ago, I got back into cycling after a number of years. Unfortunately, due to a neck injury, I couldnít ride a diamond-framed bike more than 35 miles without severe neck pain. Since I had signed up for Ragbrai, I had to find a solution or forget about it.

I purchased a recumbent.

Ragbrai was fun and the 60 mile average days, pretty easy despite the hills of southern Iowa. During Ragbrai, I got the itch to ďgo furtherĒ and stumbled into the world of brevet rides. Those are timed events where the only thing you race is the clock. You literally have to document via time-stamped receipts or volunteers that you were at the proper place by a certain time or youíre disqualified.

That first full year, I did rides of 200-, 300-, 400- and 600-km. If you finish that series, youíre allowed to attempt a 1200-km. Thatís 750 miles in 90 hours. The clock never stops. For the math-challenged, 90 hours is 3.75 days. A 1200 is typically about 230-250 miles on day one, 215 on day 2, just under 200 on day 3 and 100-150 on the last day.

I finished my first 1200 in 85.5 hours and decided I had to ride another one to prove that the first one wasnít a fluke. The next year, I rode a 1200 in Texas in 88 hours. I was 55 at the time.

Since Iím a bit slow on the hills, these 1200s tend to become exercises in sleep-deprivation so I decided that two 1200ís were good enough for me. The first one was from the Denver area to half way across Kansas...and back. The second, from Waxahachie (spelling?) outside of Dallas to Marble Falls and then towards Houston before heading back north towards Wax.

Iíve ridden Ragbrai again and still do Saturday rides and yes, I still ride a recumbent although now, itís a fairly light, carbonfiber one with 700c wheels. Itís damn fast. On the flats around here, I can keep up with most pace lines and drop them on any slight decline. Itís the aero-advantage and not the rider. Our streets are wide enough that itís reasonably safe. Knock on wood.
VERY IMPRESSIVE! Good for you!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:13 AM

4,301 posts, read 2,097,991 times
I'm 54 and I ride my bike to work almost every day. It's only a mile each way.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:04 AM

5,581 posts, read 4,352,009 times
I just purchased this;
https://www.r-m.de/en-us/models/nevo...#F00160_050107

Itís an electric assisted pedal bike. Itís very stable, quick, and fun to ride. It has a step through frame and can reach 28mph. I took it for a test ride and felt extremely confident on it in city traffic.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:58 PM

5,453 posts, read 2,840,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Holy Cow! That reminds me of those Scandinavians who have horses pull them on skis. J-something. Can't look it up 'cause I can't spell it!

I tried that once with a Russian Wolfhound and a skateboard. It did not end well!

Young and stupid!
Skijoring.

It is performed at several ski resorts in the Rockies.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:27 PM

2,255 posts, read 2,376,752 times
I grew up riding my bike in NYC where near death occurrences are a daily thing. Now I live in San Diego.....so much better. The first few days after several years of not biking were brutal on my body. So much so that I sold my new bike. Bought another one months later and now down 2/3 pant sizes.

Living is risky ! Talk to a doctor. Biking seems to be the IT form of burning calories for older people.....50 and counting

Old 12-16-2018, 06:14 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,512,142 times
Anyone who doesn't know about this organization needs to get familiar. Support miles of car free cycling adventures all over the US:

Rails to Trails Conservancy

They turn old railroad beds into cycling pathways. Fantastic routes and scenery in beautiful natural. and historic areas.

Also the Adventure Cycling Association for route maps and gear

Great organizations to support cyclists and cycling.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 12-16-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 AM

3,498 posts, read 1,923,300 times
I have a mountain bike and road bike which don't see a lot of action-but then they never really have.

A couple 60 and over friends of mine have had mountain bike accidents on trails around here in the last year, but then they're a bit hard core in their riding habits. One guy put a stick through his face into the gums, requiring oral surgery, and the other guy ran into a tree and suffered a concussion.

I plan to do more biking when I can't-or don't want to-run anymore. No real steep descents on the mountain bike for me though, just too risky IMO. Plus, I'm not technically skilled on them and have never had the desire to attain these skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement