U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What age group are you?
20's 3 1.03%
30's 8 2.74%
40's 8 2.74%
50's 75 25.68%
60's 138 47.26%
70's 53 18.15%
80's 7 2.40%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 752,972 times

Advertisements

Over 70, retired at 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 PM

1,815 posts, read 2,242,977 times
Age is just a number and mine is unlisted

Old 12-15-2018, 09:41 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
74 and dh is 78.

When I first came to this forum about 10 years ago, I thought it was for retirees. Surprised to see so many younger peole. It was/is such a popular and crowded forum that I asked the admin if they could divide it up into Retirees and Retirement Planning. Put it all under Retirement. Nope.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:24 PM

9,371 posts, read 6,257,903 times
Old enough to retire

Old 12-16-2018, 01:45 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,442,342 times
67 - Stay up most of the night, playing music really loud and dancing around. Had a great visit tonight with a "friend" who said no one could put up with my ways. Good thing I am single, living alone in the country with my 2 old dobermans. So when you talk about how old we are..... that is highly amusing to me. I seem to be this unusual person who is particularly vigorous - and sadly, can't connect to other 'retirees' or whatever, who are in bed by 9. Come on folks, it isn't like we have a lot of year remaining. So it seems to me... it is serious party time because like I always say "you can sleep when you're dead."

Old 12-16-2018, 09:19 AM

1,766 posts, read 566,969 times
I’m 70, just shy of 71, retired in 2012.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 AM

9,809 posts, read 5,482,793 times
50's and not only am I not retired but when my boss or my broker ask that question, it's.....

"RETIREMENT?????? That's for old people!"

Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 AM

7,917 posts, read 5,037,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
No idea of your age, but get back to me when you are 81 or so and let me know how fast you aged. Time doesn't seem to be linear from about 70 on.
You may be right. I’m yet far distant from that age, and can’t yet fathom such viewpoint or experiences.

Lately I’ve been spending more time at our local college campus. I’m presently at what’s probably the age of parents of college freshmen, though I have no children of my own. Far from feeling “old” or a relic of bygone times, as compared to the kids going to and from class, I’m struck by realization of how little has changed, since I was a student. When some particularly bumbling and clueless fellow blurts out some dumb remark in class, I am struck by realization, that were it not for the difference in our respective roles, I’d do the same. And apart from gray hair and a slight stoop, I physically much resemble these students, at least at modicum of distance. Yet every year, their lives change so much; just one semester’s course-load so advances their knowledge and familiarity. In 4 years, they will have gone from fledgling escapees from the parental nest, to “young professionals”. In 4 years, barring some calamity, I’ll be essentially the same… and 4 years after that, and so forth.

Like most teenagers, I wanted a fast and responsive sports-car. I still do… and 30 years of efforts in that direction have been met with uncertain and dubious reward. Likewise with so many of life’s aspirations – professional, personal, social… tastes, mores and values have little changed, and little progress has been made. “Maturity” has meant a reckoning with one’s limitations, a blunting of appetite in the face of beholding risks, reversals, threats, costs, nasty surprises. But the appetite still lurks below. The lessons-learned were those of circumspection, rather than accumulated knowledge for how to actually get things done.

But most importantly, the pace of life has slowed. Seasons come and seasons go; the view outside of the home-office window changes, depending on the height of the grass, and whether I’ve mowed it. Leaves blossom, grow, turn, fall, get absorbed into the soil. Another year! So what? They all blend into each other, plodding along so achingly slowly.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:56 PM

1,766 posts, read 566,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
No idea of your age, but get back to me when you are 81 or so and let me know how fast you aged. Time doesn't seem to be linear from about 70 on.
I hate to admit it but I think you’re right. 40-50, not too bad, 50-60, I could tell I’m losing some of it, 70+, I cannot believe how hard things have become, how easily I seem to injure myself, how long it takes to recover, and how tough it is to make any physical progress in my exercises.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:27 PM

5,219 posts, read 3,633,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Like most teenagers, I wanted a fast and responsive sports-car. I still do… and 30 years of efforts in that direction have been met with uncertain and dubious reward. Likewise with so many of life’s aspirations – professional, personal, social… tastes, mores and values have little changed, and little progress has been made. “Maturity” has meant a reckoning with one’s limitations, a blunting of appetite in the face of beholding risks, reversals, threats, costs, nasty surprises. But the appetite still lurks below. The lessons-learned were those of circumspection, rather than accumulated knowledge for how to actually get things done.

I always lusted for a genuine sports car also, never had the excess cash. Now I have the cash to buy any car I want. Still lust for one, but if I bought one and managed to get in, I probably couldn't get out and this goes double for my wife, she got old too. Like I said earlier, live fast
But don't overdo it.

"Fast Women, Slow Horses and Wine" Lyrics

Charlie Walker
(Rusty Harp)

I used to have money a home and a car
A horse and a dog and my old guitar
A pretty young wife just as sweet as could be
Now all I've got left is a family tree.

Fast women, slow horses and wine
Have made me an old man ahead of my time
My hair once black now with silver does shine
On account of fast women slow horses and wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement