U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What age group are you?
20's 3 1.03%
30's 8 2.74%
40's 8 2.74%
50's 75 25.68%
60's 138 47.26%
70's 53 18.15%
80's 7 2.40%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM

7,899 posts, read 5,031,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I hate to admit it but I think you池e right. 40-50, not too bad, 50-60, I could tell I知 losing some of it, 70+, I cannot believe how hard things have become, how easily I seem to injure myself, how long it takes to recover, and how tough it is to make any physical progress in my exercises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I always lusted for a genuine sports car also, never had the excess cash. Now I have the cash to buy any car I want. Still lust for one, but if I bought one and managed to get in, I probably couldn't get out and this goes double for my wife, she got old too. Like I said earlier, live fast
But don't overdo it.
I'm beginning to understand. To paraphrase, and to somewhat wax-poetic, our health, vigor and physiological capacities begin to decline upon reaching adulthood... which for purposes of discussion, we'll place at age 20. But this decline, while inexorable, is initially slow. For a person who was unathletic as a kid and young-adult, it is entirely possible to be more fit at 40, than at 20. By this I mean say one's 5K time, or maximum bench-press, or lap-time in the pool. Discipline, diet, proper training regimen and appropriate attitude can mask the physiological decline... leaving one to wonder, that so little has changed.

In the following 10 or 20 years, the decline accelerates, so that even good discipline and fanatical interest in fitness and so forth, is no longer enough. Even so, one isn't all that vigorous than what one remembers having been. It's still straightforward to climb into a sports-car, even if one's back aches more readily, and the necessary contortions of entry and egress are more of a chore than a form of entertainment and showing-off. It's at this point that our culture starts to seriously take "early retirement"... meaning, concluding one's career at an age where hair is gray, but the body is still sufficiently vigorous to enjoy the rigors of life.

But after yet another 10 or 20 years, matters so accelerate, that ability has markedly declined, and the pursuits that one has perhaps been putting off, from interest of frugality or concentration on one's career, or perhaps child-rearing, are either no longer possible, or involve so much exertion, wincing and difficulty, that the pleasure's all gone. That's when consciousness of mortality obtrudes, and we come to regret having perhaps lived "too slowly".

Perfect timing is impossible. But one gathers from these rather obvious elocutions, that whereas it might be spendthrift to splurge on that sports-car at age 30, while one's finances are dicey and one ought instead to concentrate on future compounding, the venture becomes much more sensible at 50... because by 70, it might be too late. However, many are already ill and debilitated by 50, while others are still keen and vigorous at 70. This makes timing difficult. Splurge too early, and sustain feeling of guilt, that one has wasted too much money, too soon. Desist until too late a time, and there's regret of opportunity missed. Who's sufficiently fortunate and wise, to time with deft perfection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 AM

1,765 posts, read 563,309 times
Regarding the sports car. I知 70, bad back, hips bothering me, and I have the sporty roadster that I literally have to lower myself into and raise myself out of and I知 still at it. What worries me most is my reaction times because I still like to get on it. Here痴 a little generic vid of how to get in and out (not me).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-XTO7...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-19-2018, 09:54 AM

42 posts, read 14,811 times
I have reached the magical mystical age of 69. I notice a significant drop off of respondents from 60's to 70's. I wonder,
why? Hmmmm, yikes.......... i'm hoping i can make to the 70's

Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,697,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
I have reached the magical mystical age of 69. I notice a significant drop off of respondents from 60's to 70's. I wonder,
why? Hmmmm, yikes.......... i'm hoping i can make to the 70's
I don't know about the rest of the geezers on here, but I'll be 72 next month and am planning to live to at least 150.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:52 AM

1,765 posts, read 563,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I don't know about the rest of the geezers on here, but I'll be 72 next month and am planning to live to at least 150.
LOL. I remember I used to say something like that. 的知 going to live to 110 and drive a 427 Cobra. Of course back then I felt like I could, now...not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement