U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What age group are you?
20's 3 1.03%
30's 8 2.74%
40's 8 2.74%
50's 75 25.68%
60's 138 47.26%
70's 53 18.15%
80's 7 2.40%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 PM

5,221 posts, read 3,633,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
If our 80s gang is healthy and online, why not a 90s gang? Especially if they're somewhat isolated, and Internet-savvy. 90 is the new, what, 70?
That will be 8 1/2 years for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 PM

7,921 posts, read 5,037,155 times
There's evidently a large concentration of people born in the early 1950s to early 60s.... the second half of the Baby Boom. 1957 was the year with the largest number of births, not to be eclipsed until much more recently. That fact seems to be reflected in the age-distribution of this poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Well, my older, wiser advice, for what its worth. Live fast, you are going to get old a lot faster than you think.
With all due respect, I disagree... completely. I was given the same advice 20-25 years ago. It's been a long 20-25 years. Getting older takes a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks for sharing that. Mom lived in NJ about 30 miles inland (still does, about half a mile from where she was born.) There was a plant that built military planes about ten miles away. I read about how they covered it with huge black tarps to make it invisible from the air.
We should perhaps start a thread on parents' recollections of WW2 (unless one exists already?). My parents were born in the 1930s, and lived on the opposite side of the Atlantic... actually, the opposite side of Europe. Their stories included Stuka dive-bombers and barrages from heavy-caliber guns. The enemy got to within a few miles of the city-limits, occupying the suburbs and immediate countryside, digging in. That was the summer of '41. It took two and a half years to dislodge the invaders. My mom was evacuated eastward, but dad was in that intermediate age group... too young to be drafted, but old enough to be low-priority for evacuation.

Back on topic... presumably, a large part of retirement is preparation for a relaxed and unharried life, with security in lodging, health, nourishment and companionship. We spend the better part of a lifetime trying to achieve this. Long-range planning might begin quite literally in our teens. And some people do retire early, whether by military pension or just good savings/investment habits. So, it stands to reason that we'd have quite a smattering of people in their 40s etc.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:05 PM

16,417 posts, read 5,353,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Curious, how old is everyone here?

20,796 years old.

No, wait. One of us just had a birthday.

20,797 years old.
I hope you meant days and not years!

Old 12-15-2018, 02:36 AM

2,165 posts, read 1,265,978 times
She was adding all the years of all the members together, a literal answer. Hiwever, her answer is too high for thr number if respondents at the time. But then again, she may be anticipating the final tally. Still, a clever response.

I was surprised by the poll. A lot younger overall than I had assumed. A lot more early retirees, too.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:32 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,958,966 times
Soon to be 59 and will retire at 62.

I love all the insight and anecdotes of those already retired and those who have a bit to go.

Lots of questioning attitudes and lots of great advice here.

Some stories have made me sad and reflect the hardships some of us go through and others I marvel about how well prepared some of us are.

I will have a pension and a 401k and I have tried to prepare years ago by disciplining myself to pour my raises into my 401k and other small investments.

I truly believe I have lived a very full and content life........I won't say I have any regrets as I always reflected on my mistakes as learning experiences.

I don't have any high expectations entering into retirement other than wanting good health for myself and family.

Regardless of what anyone says these last ten years have flown by and to me it is not until you get this close to retirement do you realize youth and your health is the greatest richness in the world.

As someone who has had children late in life, at this age I have a greater respect for each day or moment that passes. With my twins I have realized how important each day is and I know that memories last a lifetime. Each day we spend with them they will carry forever.

Merry Christmas everyone and wishing everyone a happy healthy and prosperous New Year

Old 12-15-2018, 05:46 AM

10,460 posts, read 5,926,819 times
I kind of skewed the results as I'l be 60 in less than 2 months but had to check 50's.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:59 AM

4,432 posts, read 2,611,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mom is 90 and remembers air raid warning sirens going off during WWII and they had to turn off all the lights and pull black shades down. Her sister was mentally disabled and screamed the whole time in the dark. I guess they did this up to a certain number of miles inland when suspicious aircraft were spotted.

She also remembers that it was snowing on February 2, 1934, the day her sister was born.

And remembers her mother sending her young uncles to go down to the pond and look for turtles to put in the vegetable soup during the Depression.

Make sure to tell your stories to someone.
(This is NOT at all meant to offend anyone)

My MIL (departed 2013, [86] REst her soul) was German. (My OH was born to German mother and American father in Germany in 1959).

Not only did she live through the war and survive the bombings of Germany, she also, to save her soul, HAD to be enrolled as a Hitler youth, though she secretly denied a total liking for the Hitlers policies and proceedings. Had she NOT become enrolled, her fate would have been much much worse.
Her family also had to do old fashioned family tree research ( lol... way before any ancestry.com was thought of) to prove they were "pure white" and had no juden blood. They are of Persian decent.

They had to scavange food, anything edible to eat during the bombings, and create whatever meals they could. She said it sometimes made for strange dinners.

She was, naturally, lucky to survive....

Among other things, I found half of an unused Rations Book in some of my American grandmothers things after she passed and we cleaned out her house. I kept it for posterity. I had heard of them, but never seen one.
I may donate it to a small museum near here if they are interested.

Ah, strolls down memory lane that the millenials probably have zero connection to....

Old 12-15-2018, 08:24 AM

5,221 posts, read 3,633,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

With all due respect, I disagree... completely. I was given the same advice 20-25 years ago. It's been a long 20-25 years. Getting older takes a long time.

No idea of your age, but get back to me when you are 81 or so and let me know how fast you aged. Time doesn't seem to be linear from about 70 on.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 AM

29,779 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Folks be careful responding to this thread by writing you age in a post. You are telling others who you don't know the year you were born. Reveal in another thread where you were born and currently live and you have the seeds for identity theft.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 AM

1,345 posts, read 469,657 times
57, plan to "retire" at 60 and continue doing what I do, but only 6 months per year, vice full time, (until I get tired of it) as a contractor. The work takes me all over the world, in part time "retirement" it would be in 2 week to 3 month stretches at a time, and I would call the shots to where I would go, and for how long. I am fortunate to have the opportunity.

My wife and I are the same age, so we can stop at age 60 with 37 years for me, and 23 years for her of federal emploment if we want. She is ready to plant permanent roots, more so than I. We have been moving every two to four years from the mid 80's until now, have lived all over the world. She is starting to get tired of it, wants to settle closer to family.

I'm lucky, my job requires physical input a lot of the time, but I'm still up to the task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement