Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 02:21 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,626,988 times

Advertisements

As long as they have an active mind, people can remain pretty sharp into the 9th decade. I even know one guy over 100 who still is fun to talk to about current events. He voted for FDR and fought in WWII, then was tagged as a Communist by McCarthy for being a union organizer. He's quite a guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 03:36 AM

8,247 posts, read 8,599,140 times
Since I live in a 55+ I know quite a few, a couple over 100.

They all seem to have a good attitude. They don't mention their ailments. They all seem to drink lots of coffee. They laugh a lot.

I know some of their children who aren't in good shape so it's not genetics. Must be the coffee and sense of humor.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:31 AM

18,672 posts, read 33,290,630 times
My aunt is 93 and lives home alone with a daytime health aide coming in. She is almost blind and has pain issues but as far as her mind, she does process things more slowly (and can only take so many inputs at once) but has no dementia that I can see. I don't know if she's done anything so correctly. Quit smoking in her 40s, unable to walk for exercise for some years now, never very overweight. I think its genetic- her mother lived into her 90s and was pretty crazy and never did anything healthy that I know of.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:24 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,779,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Just curious. What have your experiences and interactions been? Please share any diet tips, life advice, etc and other nuggets you've gained from them.

Living in Florida, as I do, I interact with a lot of older people. I learned a long time ago that there are YOUNG 90 year olds, and OLD 90 year olds. Not sure why some people age better than others, but I encounter a lot of very old people who are still sharp, active, and healthy.

I think mental state has a lot to do with it and staying active.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:26 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,719,928 times
Yep. I know several sharp folks in their 90's and even 100's in my family alone. Also know a former Army General that just turned 100. Fit as a fiddle, mentally and physically. He even still drives.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:36 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,824,527 times
Friend of mine is 93 he just climbed up his 70 foot ham radio tower the other day to repair an antenna, can transmit Morse code at around 40-60 words per minute. His secret is bourbon and cigars. I am following his secret.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
If we are going into the eighties, there are quite a few people in my building who are mentally sharp in that age bracket. Not all are good physical specimens though but they get around okay. Many eat in our cafeteria which would please neither a foodie nor nutritionist and many order take-out from nearby restaurants but that doesn’t seem to make much difference in their health at this point. Not to say they don’t eat well all the time, they just don’t follow strict health regimes unless they have to have prescribed diets.

I see all kinds of people of all ages from 60’s to late 90’s in all kinds of shape. I firmly believe the secret of those in great condition is there is no secret. It’s a combination of genes, lifestyle and a little luck.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:46 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,589,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, my father just turned 91 this week and is as sharp as he has always been.
Things are lookin' good for you then, MMoB.

I just posted somewhere else that my grandpa was 94 when he remarried. Sharp as ever. He was fat too and ate a lot of sweets. My personal belief is that it is mostly genetics. He was very involved in life though and active until the end. That probably contributed.

His son, my uncle was 99; just passed away. He too was very active. Still driving, still golfing. Not in a "home" but his own, MN and Sun City.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:26 AM

28,111 posts, read 63,536,638 times
Most of the sharp 90 to 100+ individuals I know are amazing.... but physically... some are not doing well at all the last year or two.

Here is a sampling... 98 year old widower... still drives and plays golf... 103 year old retired school teacher that was still going to Hawaii Condo alone up to age 100.... 94 year old and his 92 year old wife that still drive and spend a lot of time "Helping" seniors... 101 year old with her live in 85 year old boyfriend of 20 years... 90 year old that just moved to a retirement home after keeping her home gardens like a park for 50 years.

Lots of very sharp independant people around 100 here in Oakland California...

They have the most interesting histories... the 103 retired school teacher taught in a one room school house when she was 18... she was also the first person in the county with a private car as a child... she sold the most subscriptions to the Nevada Newspaper in a year and won the car... they made their way to Reno to pick it up... her father never drove a car either... anyway... at 13 she was driving to school...

The 94 year old got his driver's license at age 14 becuase his father was injured on the farm and they had no way to bring the crop to market... he is 94 and still qualifies each year for his concealed carry... 60% wash out rate.

The 101 was the grand marshal for a Basque celebration in Nevada... she had many fascinating stories of Basque traditions...

All of these individuals grew up early... all from ranching/farming stock and all in rather isolated communities...

They all had good appetites… non smokers, loved a good steak, good cooks and shunned most meds...

Old 12-15-2018, 09:28 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,953,696 times
Both of my parents were mentally sharp up to a few hours of their death. My mom at 95 and my dad at 90. My father had been bedridden for a few months. But my mom was totally mobile and could take care of her personal needs. She passed away in her sleep. Hoping I follow her path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement