U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:58 AM

63 posts, read 21,246 times

Advertisements

Growing up I remember not only Woolworth but also Roses 5 & 10 (now it's just Roses) McCrory's, Ben Franklin, Grants, Kresge's, Kress, and G C Murphy. In Greensboro NC, the F W Woolworth has been turned into a museum to commemorate the site of the first civil rights sit-in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,293,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The $ stores don't have the lunch counters. I miss those.
I used to eat at Kresge in the 60's and Woolworth's Harvest House in the 70's.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:46 AM

8,181 posts, read 11,900,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Last night I was thinking about dollar stores and I realized they are basically like the old five and ten's I knew as a child.
That got me wondering how many on here remember the five and ten, and also stores like Woolworth, Grants, Kresgees. Those were around where we were and came before the stores like K-mart and Bradlees which are also now mostly gone.

How many remember the old stores?
Kresge is Kmart. Or, Kmart is Kresge, depending upon how you look at it, lol.

I guess you don't remember the old stores as well as you thought! (j/k)

Old 12-17-2018, 06:54 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Kresge is Kmart. Or, Kmart is Kresge, depending upon how you look at it, lol.

I guess you don't remember the old stores as well as you thought! (j/k)
Correct.
The "K" in Kmart stands for Kresgee.

I know this because my aunt belonged to the same church as the Kresgee family did, and the Kresgee 's donated a lot to the church in $ and in building parts of the church hall and other church building projects.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 AM

6,345 posts, read 7,821,225 times
McCrory's, Neisner's.
As a child, I lived only a few walkable blocks from Kresge's and Woolworth's. Saturday, dime in hand, we spent an hour picking out paper doll books; coloring books.

I worked at Neisner's in Washington D.C. as a young teen. They put me in the candy department and told me I could eat whatever I wanted. You know how fast you can get sick of the smell of candy?? I soon got transferred to Infant Wear. lol

McCrory's was in my local shopping center for years and it was a go-to for just about every small need. This was before dollar stores. The entire center burned down in a huge blaze and many of the stores never returned but McCrory's did, although it wasn't the same and closed down a couple of years later.

Our local Woolworth's lasted until about the mid-90s, although it wasn't the Woolworth's I knew as a child.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
Growing up I remember not only Woolworth but also Roses 5 & 10 (now it's just Roses) McCrory's, Ben Franklin, Grants, Kresge's, Kress, and G C Murphy. In Greensboro NC, the F W Woolworth has been turned into a museum to commemorate the site of the first civil rights sit-in.

I had many of the same in my town, two favorites were Murphy's and Woolworth's, where I ate grilled cheese sandwiches and drank cokes at their counter.

They both, back then, had wood floors that were always highly polished and smelled wonderfully of wax. It was ever so fun to spend time in their aisles as a kid. And a young adult...then most closed.
I see a Roses on rare occasions and Ben Franklin, but they aren't the same as the old ones...

Dollar stores are kinda fun...but they don't have quality like the old 5 and Dime stores.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:48 AM

1,696 posts, read 747,918 times
Along with the 5 and 10s I remember the Horn and Hardart Automats where you saw your food behind little glass doors, put your money in the slot, the door opens, you get your food and sit down and eat.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:49 AM

583 posts, read 907,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
Yes!! I remember they had the best pizza I tasted as a kid back then.
Years later, I worked at an MC's right before I went into the military (USAF) after graduating high school.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:52 AM

3,584 posts, read 4,929,197 times
I've also thought about dollar stores being the "new" 5 and 10s. I grew up with Murphy's, Kresge's, Woolworth's, McCrory's and Neisners. One big difference is that the old stores were separated into specific departments, each with its own manager. Plus they usually had lunch counters. They had a much bigger selection, including a music department, clothing and even pets. And everybody in town shopped there, even the people who shopped at the department stores. They were all downtown, so you could spend your teenage Saturday morning going from store to store.

The new dollar stores have everything in rows and no separate departments for anything specific. Far fewer employees per store, and just one cashier to check out. Not as much of a thrill.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:55 AM

13,728 posts, read 9,836,437 times
Back when funny munny was worth more, yup, I remember. Dimes and nickels bought good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement