U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,430,600 times

Advertisements

I loved Woolworth's. I sometimes would have lunch their while sitting at the counter. I also liked having lunch at kmart in the back of the store. I miss the good old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 05:34 PM

9,162 posts, read 3,007,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
^^^^ I remember getting a sweet parakeet at Woolworth's at the mall.

My favorite "dime store" was the downtown J.J.Newberry, which we called Newberry's. Like Woolworth's, it had a lunch counter, as did most department stores when I was a kid. I loved eating there with my Mom.

I got my Dad a special pocket hand warmer at Newberry's so he would feel comfy when he went duck-hunting. I had an ulterior motive. One of my favorite dinners was crisp-skinned wild duck.

We had a Rexall drugstore near our closest grocery store. I don't remember it as a drugstore, though, but rather another place to get novelty items, cosmetics and comic books.

There was so much variety in those dime stores, and you could handle most of the inexpensive merchandise easily, as nearly nothing was sealed in plastic.

I was wondering when someone would mention Newberry's. On our main downtown street, Woolworth's and Newberry's were located side-by-side. It was an unusual duplication, because I could never tell any difference between the two. The small cafes in them provided the cheapest lunch-date you could find in town.

But the store of this type I visited most, was Tiffany's, a local chain of about five stores. They sold just about everything and were open on Christmas. I was such a procrastinator, that I'd put off buying gifts until Christmas morning, get up early and head for Tiffany's. Somehow, I always managed to find something appropriate for everyone on my list. Once, I bought myself a wonderful set of four French Chef stainless-steel cooking pots there, with aluminum heat disks, for less than half-price, at $25. Thirty years later, I still use them daily.

Every few months, they'd have a special event on Saturdays, where they'd sell hotdogs in a bun, for 5 cents. For hungry young men like myself, that was something that couldn't be missed. I won't tell you how many I ate, but they said I had the all-time record.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:58 PM

35,499 posts, read 10,514,156 times
Woolworth, Grant's, Kresge's, Neisner's...I loved and miss them all, especially the lunch counters. And I loved their makeup counters. I remember going with friends to Woolworth after school to check out the makeup.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,342,609 times
As a teen I remember taking the train from NJ into NY in the early 70s, and getting a $5 hamburger at the Woolworth's counter in Manhattan. That was "expensive", and we referred to that crazy price long afterwards. Back in NJ, I also remember going to a Woolworth's and you would pick a balloon to determine how much you paid for a banana split (small piece of paper inside).

Old 12-19-2018, 09:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
Loved the old five-and-dimes; love the Dollar Tree!

Old 12-19-2018, 02:31 PM

23,790 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That's wild, my hometown Woolworth's also became a CVS. I loved Woolworth's. It was the only place I could afford to buy Christmas gifts for my family of 9 on my babysitting earnings. Dad was always grateful for that new comb!
Ah, the last Woolworths on our 3rd street promonade is now a Apple mega store...never been in it. Yes, I loved the 5and10 and one could even buy a canary in the bird section. So much has been lost that was so great...truly. And the food counter????!!!!

Not a fan of the Dollar Stores, junk made in China.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:34 PM

23,790 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I was wondering when someone would mention Newberry's. On our main downtown street, Woolworth's and Newberry's were located side-by-side. It was an unusual duplication, because I could never tell any difference between the two. The small cafes in them provided the cheapest lunch-date you could find in town.

But the store of this type I visited most, was Tiffany's, a local chain of about five stores. They sold just about everything and were open on Christmas. I was such a procrastinator, that I'd put off buying gifts until Christmas morning, get up early and head for Tiffany's. Somehow, I always managed to find something appropriate for everyone on my list. Once, I bought myself a wonderful set of four French Chef stainless-steel cooking pots there, with aluminum heat disks, for less than half-price, at $25. Thirty years later, I still use them daily.

Every few months, they'd have a special event on Saturdays, where they'd sell hotdogs in a bun, for 5 cents. For hungry young men like myself, that was something that couldn't be missed. I won't tell you how many I ate, but they said I had the all-time record.
Ah yes Newberrys on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica..loved it.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:29 PM

5,250 posts, read 5,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Many a present was bought from Woolworth’s. It was easy to find something for everyone on a kid’s allowance.

I always used to buy gifts from there as a kid.

Imagine my surprise when I walked down a random street in Germany a few years ago and there it was---Woolworths!

Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 PM

1,177 posts, read 973,161 times
Oh, I wish they were the same. Neisner's in Rochester, NY had pizza and a pet department...with real pets! It was my favorite place downtown.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:41 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
Just went to the local Dollar Store & bought 20 Christmas cards w. envelopes ( don't laugh, one time I bought something like this & there were no envelopes!) for $1.09 tax included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement