U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:02 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,368,509 times

Advertisements

it has been fine for me.
i am usually 2 or more generations behind
so i get on board for almost nothing in terms
of prices, and the bugs have been dealt with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 PM

44 posts, read 13,919 times
I think jmp61616 described the mid-70s to a T. I was 20 yo in 1976 and away at college, and I remember thinking back then, technology-wise, is THIS all there is? Not really that much different than 1960. Lousy roads, crappy cars - actually REALLY crappy cars - wall phones with long distance charges, very basic TV, the difficulty of obtaining useful information (there were no reviews anywhere, you opened the Yellow Pages book and took your chances), and so on. It was very underwhelming, and I have no nostalgia for any of that stuff.

I personally welcome the advent of personal computers, smartphones, and especially the internet. It is so incredibly easy to find information (including the YouTube DIY videos that one poster mentioned!) these days compared to the dark ages. Cars are far better and much safer. The roads could still use a lot of work, but they're much better than they were then.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:44 PM

1,514 posts, read 681,517 times
Default What has it been like for you seeing technology advance so much?

On the whole, delighted! PCs, the internet and email... what a great transformation they've wrought.
We can look up anything, any time, from home... not just when the library is open. We can communicate
all over the world, at no cost. These are early-21st-century innovations, of course. What's come since then
hasn't seemed as useful: Facebook -- what's the point? Smart phones -- why?

Old 12-17-2018, 09:46 PM

7,254 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Unlike many older people, I embrace new technology.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,368,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Being a die-hard introvert I adore smartphones. Imagine being able to wait in a doctor's office or *anywhere* without having to make eye contact! Paradise.
While I agree with your general sentiment, it isn't like you couldn't just read a newspaper or book or... just sit and look down at your lap...

Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcflezflng View Post
I think jmp61616 described the mid-70s to a T. I was 20 yo in 1976 and away at college, and I remember thinking back then, technology-wise, is THIS all there is? Not really that much different than 1960. Lousy roads, crappy cars - actually REALLY crappy cars - wall phones with long distance charges, very basic TV, the difficulty of obtaining useful information (there were no reviews anywhere, you opened the Yellow Pages book and took your chances), and so on. It was very underwhelming, and I have no nostalgia for any of that stuff.

I personally welcome the advent of personal computers, smartphones, and especially the internet. It is so incredibly easy to find information (including the YouTube DIY videos that one poster mentioned!) these days compared to the dark ages. Cars are far better and much safer. The roads could still use a lot of work, but they're much better than they were then.
The pace at which things change to do is blinding.

I was playing a video game last night from 1999. The differences between today's games and that are phenomenal. I think there was an even bigger leap from the late 80s to the late 90s there.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,077,853 times
I was born in 1938, so "technology" is rather like "The Eggplant That Ate Chicago" in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Lc0Lra9cI

Radio to television. The Friday night my father brought our first television set home I was meeting a friend for the movies. Being able to go to the movies at night was a new privilege. When I got dressed and went to the movies my father was furious. My mother told me he said he was going to take it back to the store. I knew it wasn't going anywhere. This has pretty much been the story of technology and me.

City University of New York was creating its first central computing facility in 1973, and I was the temp. clerical assistant to the newly hired Director and two associate directors. In the fall they had a skeleton tech staff and were ready to move into a West Side rented facility...would I like to come along? In one form or another it lasted twenty years. We worked on terminals with green lit screens and the size and shape of early television sets.

1980 was Usenet with newsgroups, and by 1983 I was regularly participating in several and with people all over the U.S. and Europe too that I had never laid eyes on. And that turned into desktop computers and the web and internet came along in the late 80s. None of my personal friends had any involvement with such stuff. Periodically someone from these newsgroups would visit NYC from Europe or some other state and we would have a dinner in village for twenty or thirty, sometimes more. It was a strange world that had zero contact with the rest of my life.

And when home computers became available I didn't buy one at first. I bought one in the 90s when I was part of a big lay-off, and because I had had a major accident and couldn't work this was the first I had used the net on my own time....though I still read and wrote more.

I think I got my first Nokia when I moved to Europe in 2000. I still have it. The case is duct-taped together. Finally this year I bought the simplest Nokia I could find to replace it. My phone is always turned off unless I want to make an outgoing call, or unless someone insists because of a delivery. It is weeks before I turn it on and check it. Look, the PC is one most of the day, send email and don't bug me. (Similar to eff the TV, I'm going to the movies.)

I had two smart phones, I gave them back. I carry a book or books to read. (Back to Friday night at the movies attitude again.)

I think the smart phone is greatest advancement in medical technology that I have seen. People used to have to risk serious spine injury sticking their heads up their a-holes, now they can just hold them in their hand and paw their hemorrhoids all day - and in any public place.

Back in its earlier days I joined FB for three weeks and then quit. It was worse than what had happened to the net. Last year I wanted to be part of FB group in Ireland, so I reluctantly joined again. I went through the whole process and three or four hours later my account was killed. I explained how I had responded, and then they had asked for a photo, etc....my Irish friend laughed his ass off via the net. "You can't do it like that." "Like what?"

Did I tell you about my iPod Touch? It enchanted me for about six weeks, maybe eight. It is in the same bag with my turned-off Nokia I think. It probably has fully discharged and died by now. I have a neat little Plenue. Just me, my Plenue and music. And earphones, so I don't have to listen to people playing with their plastic digital rectums.

I have more than a thousand books, almost as many CD's, I used to make tapes - when I was in my 70s in Cyprus a guy who owned a club used to buy them (okay, thirty years too late for the NYC big time) - now I make playlists and share stuff with a Russian guy in his early thirties and a Brazilian girl who is twenty-one. We talk, like with words. The guy in Ireland emails me stuff from the FB group I would have joined.

I'm not tech pervy, because like with the TV way back in the mid-twenties century, there's always a Friday night at the movies that gets in the way.

Last edited by kevxu; 12-18-2018 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-18-2018, 10:51 AM

9,757 posts, read 7,035,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
Many here have seen it rapidly advance and I am just curious what your thoughts are? Does it bother you? Do you like it?
I'm amazed everyday by it. That's in a good way.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:16 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
Many here have seen it rapidly advance and I am just curious what your thoughts are? Does it bother you? Do you like it?
If anything, I think that technology and scientific advances are neither fast enough nor widely implemented.

I had expected at least 10 years ago to have a magnetic levitation bullet train system throughout the US. Self-drive 'flying' cars assigned to different vertical lanes thus solving all traffic jams, gridlocks and eliminating accidents. I had expected the US to stop using fossil fuels by now. I also expect to have foolproof food distribution system to screen out contaminated, bad products, an instant health alert system and readily available/shared database to isolate contagious disease, effective vaccinations, better cancer/illness detection, more effective cancer cures etc. We put men on the moon in 1969 but very little space exploration progresses have been made since then. I was expecting space colonies in Mars by 2000 ;-)

People don't like changes in their life but I don't think many people stop and think about how technological and scientific advances have vastly improved their life in comparison to the life of the people say 50-100 years ago.

If some of the so-called 'great' technological advances like smart phones, internet communications (facebook, twitter etc.) bother you, just don't use them and accept the fact that they are other people's choices. Nothing stop ones from using dial up landline, writing letters and sending out snail mails. If you want to 'see' the grands, you just have to learn how to use facetime or other video chats!

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-18-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-18-2018, 01:46 PM

6,313 posts, read 3,576,034 times
I'm a secret Luddite. Have never met a machine or a piece of technology that I liked or that worked the way it was supposed to for me. (They know!)

It's easy for me to see all the negative influences technology has had on our culture and I'm concerned about those changes. But I have to grudgingly admit that I thoroughly enjoy my computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or