U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,809,103 times

Advertisements

A record player when I was four years old. I came down stairs on Xmas morning at 6:00. It was there ready to go with a record on it. I turned it on and put the needle on it and it started playing loudly.

The next think I remember was being spanked over my father’s knee for waking him up.

I remember that Xmas was not a lot of fun, and its the first memory I have of how crazy my father was. We learned early to be very quiet until my father was downstairs eating breakfast.

Last edited by slyfox2; 12-17-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,809,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Every Christmas carried the threat that Dad would come home drunk and try killing Mom and we had to run out of the house. It didn't happen every year, but enough so that was mostly in my thinking.

So any presents I may have received are not remembered.
I remember speaking to a child in counseling who’s father got upset and said he was going to kill them all(siblings and mother) one by one. He took them outside in their pj’s in the snow on the side of the trailer with his shotgun, made them kneel against the side of the trailer, and put a shell above each of their heads. Each kid thought that their mother and siblings had been killed since they were ordered to keep their eyes closed. Then he rounded them all up and took them back into the trailer and told them the next time it would be for real.

No one in the neighborhood called the cops since everyone was scared cr@ pless of him. It happened over Christmas vacation. I’M SURE THAT CHILD doesn’t remember any xmas gifts either.

The child was crying as he told me, and I was crying with him.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:54 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,010,111 times
An electric train, I could not have been very old, because they stopped making them during WW2. That was my favorite toy.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,660,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Sounds like a "Wonder Horse"- my cousins had one and I was envious - would rock and "gallop" continually whenever I visited them.

You can find photos of the Wonder-Horse online in sites about vintage toys.
I think you are correct regarding the initial spring hobby horse being a "Wonder Horse". It has been decades since I saw those old photographic slides but my memory recalls the initial horse having a detailed mane, and the support springs were nearly horizontal.

The replacement horse had a simpler mane and angled springs, and I used it for years. Our kids ride the daylights out of the replacement horse when they were toddlers - particularly the youngest who was a wild man at that age!

Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 PM

15,207 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I remember speaking to a child in counseling whos father got upset and said he was going to kill them all(siblings and mother) one by one. He took them outside in their pjs in the snow on the side of the trailer with his shotgun, made them kneel against the side of the trailer, and put a shell above each of their heads. Each kid thought that their mother and siblings had been killed since they were ordered to keep their eyes closed. Then he rounded them all up and took them back into the trailer and told them the next time it would be for real.

No one in the neighborhood called the cops since everyone was scared cr@ pless of him. It happened over Christmas vacation. IM SURE THAT CHILD doesnt remember any xmas gifts either.

By god - that is hideously, ingeniously sadistic - completely premeditated and intended to control their every action from that moment forward.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I think it was this wind-up tin drummer boy, 1942, I was 4.

https://dtrantiques.com/media/catalo.../sold_11_9.jpg
A huge stuffed blue poodle. It was almost as big as I was. I think I was 4 or 5, judging from the picture I still have.

I remember seeing it that Christmas morning. We walked into the living room, which was dark except for the lights on the tree. All the presents were under the tree, and we went "Oooooooooo!" It was a beautiful sight to us. Magical. And there were two large stuffed poodles...one pink for my sister, and one blue one for me. I took mine and hugged and hugged it.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,355,757 times
Tommy-Gun.
watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeBOF4j7Rk

Old 12-17-2018, 09:10 PM

6,302 posts, read 3,569,825 times
The first I remember being really excited about was when I was about four. It was a Marx Bar M Ranch Set and figures. Dad had laid it all out on a large piece of plywood and put it on the back porch. When we were all done opening presents he said he had forgotten something and brought it out.

https://picclick.com/Vintage-1950s-M...540652747.html

We lived a small walk from the county garage where there were piles of gravel for the roads and in the summer I'd take it all down there and build roads in the "mountains" to play with it. I must have spent a hundred hours playing with it.

That led to a "cowboy" phase with me. My Grandma sewed me my "pony shirt," a flannel shirt that looked like it was made of pieces of horse skin patched together. Someone gave me a pair of leather cowboy boots and for my birthday I got a leather holster with a very realistic metal gun.

The other "Big Christmas" was when I was in seventh grade and I got my first pair of high (not-so-high) heels and make-up under the tree.

My dad was a fun gift giver. One year he gave me a pogo stick. One year he gave my son a unicycle.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
My favorite was Lawn Darts. We kids threw them at each other.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.PAuRMXY7a8o

This was well before the Consumer Product Safety Commission was created in 1972

https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Educatio...-We-Do-for-You

Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,239,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I remember speaking to a child in counseling whos father got upset and said he was going to kill them all(siblings and mother) one by one. He took them outside in their pjs in the snow on the side of the trailer with his shotgun, made them kneel against the side of the trailer, and put a shell above each of their heads. Each kid thought that their mother and siblings had been killed since they were ordered to keep their eyes closed. Then he rounded them all up and took them back into the trailer and told them the next time it would be for real.

No one in the neighborhood called the cops since everyone was scared cr@ pless of him. It happened over Christmas vacation. IM SURE THAT CHILD doesnt remember any xmas gifts either.

We will never know the horror some people live with. I do not believe I have ever heard a worse story. I can't imagine how those kids and their mother lived through all that cruelty. It certainly had to leave a huge mark on the rest of their lives. People never get over something like that. And unfortunately, some carry that behavior into their adult lives.

You and others whose work is to help others through their stories are needed and provide the support these people need. But it can't be easy to listen to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or