U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:08 AM

2,524 posts, read 995,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I remember speaking to a child in counseling who’s father got upset and said he was going to kill them all(siblings and mother) one by one. He took them outside in their pj’s in the snow on the side of the trailer with his shotgun, made them kneel against the side of the trailer, and put a shell above each of their heads. Each kid thought that their mother and siblings had been killed since they were ordered to keep their eyes closed. Then he rounded them all up and took them back into the trailer and told them the next time it would be for real.

No one in the neighborhood called the cops since everyone was scared cr@ pless of him. It happened over Christmas vacation. I’M SURE THAT CHILD doesn’t remember any xmas gifts either.

The child was crying as he told me, and I was crying with him.
Not to derail I hope but I experienced a similar thing at age 9.

My sadistic Mother drove to the bay there in Brooklyn just a few blocks from our house one day after picking me up from Catholic school and said as soon as it got dark she would drive the car into the water with us both in it. Kept me there for hours, -til it was indeed dark- I was begging and pleading but oddly, when other folks either in vehicles or walking along came near, I quieted down and acted normal; I was terrified and embarrassed for anyone to "find out".

That theme continued until I left at age 18.

I did, however, always get lavish Christmas gifts like 14kt gold jewelry, Gucci scarves/wallets (in 6th grade), Steiff stuffed animals and trips to FAO Schwarz on the regular so outwardly it looked enviable.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 12-18-2018 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,243,341 times
^^^^^^^^^^ Very sorry for your horrible experience with your mother.

Some mothers have actually done this...... years ago wasn't there a woman Susan Smith??? who had 3 kids?

I am glad you are here and posted your experience. Hopefully you have gotten some help and can move past the terror.

Another thing I thought..... don't we all want to appear normal even when going through these terrible times? That is why it's so important to not judge someone by their outward appearance. We don't know what's going on inside.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 AM

3,890 posts, read 1,651,610 times
I was probably six or so. I got up really early and snuck out to see what Santa brought. There was a beautiful bride doll waiting for me. She was enchanting. I didn't touch her, just looked, then went back to bed.

I don't remember ever playing with her, and don't know what ever happened to her. Just that one special moment.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:33 AM

14,391 posts, read 7,921,507 times
A remote control tiger that had the wire attached to it, but it walked. I still think of it and wish I had kept it. I think I may have been around 5 because we were living in Chicago. It was the last Christmas I remember there.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:09 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
I don't think this was the first gift I got, but I remember when I was about 4, I and my two sisters (3 and 1 at the time), each got kid-sized rocking chairs, a different color (colored vinyl) for each of us. Our other gifts were piled in the rocking chair, and my parents said Santa had brought the chairs and the toys/gifts in the chairs.

Somewhere around here I have pictures of the three of us girls sitting in those chairs, and I'm holding my baby brother, who didn't get his own chair as he was only a few months old at the time. It's a cute picture.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Tiny Tears.

Doll you fed water
and the water came out the doll's bottom...
I remember those dolls!

I remember some of us figuring the doll could go "number 2" if we fed it apple butter.

Didn't work so well. Yuk.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Every Christmas carried the threat that Dad would come home drunk and try killing Mom and we had to run out of the house. It didn't happen every year, but enough so that was mostly in my thinking.

So any presents I may have received are not remembered.
(((NY Gal)))))).

I understand how such memories darken any good ones that might be lurking in one's subconscious. I think my parents tried to make the holidays good ones for us kids, but my dad was an alcoholic who could become violent when he was drinking, and it often happened on the holidays.

Peace to you.....

Old 12-18-2018, 11:37 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,243,341 times
^^^^^^^^^ Thank you Travelassie. Sending ((((())))) back to you.

I think there are many of us.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^^^^ Thank you Travelassie. Sending ((((())))) back to you.

I think there are many of us.
I think you are right. Peace to us all.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:47 PM

996 posts, read 385,162 times
This is probably from around 1963 or 1964. We'd leave a bottle of coke out for Santa!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or