U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:58 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,458,802 times

Advertisements

When I was three, I got a large, plastic rocking horse. When you pulled the string, it neighed, whinnied, said, "How 'bout some hay", or "I'm Mr. Ed". It was black with white legs...it looked nothing like "Mr. Ed". I'd put on my red cowboy hat and ride it, pretending I was "Sally Starr". Those of you who grew up in the Philadelphia area in the early 1960's know who Sally Starr was.

I also got a Skipper doll (Barbie's little sister). She had on a red and white party dress, red velveteen coat and hat, little white gloves, white ankle socks, a purse, and red flats. I still have her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM

992 posts, read 380,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Hey! I had that same metal service station, or a nearly identical one, when I was a kid. Yours also had an 'elevator' that raised the cars from the lower level to the roof, right?
That was my brother's toy so I really don't recall. I had a vague memory of that but can't be certain.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:10 AM

10,667 posts, read 21,340,667 times
I don't remember any Christmas without looking at photos. I remember my dolls but not when I got them. A bride doll, giggles, dancerina, velvet and barbies. Loved my dolls. Still do and have velvet and dancerina.

I do remember wanting a buffy doll and Mrs. Beasley but my mother didn't like them so refused to get them.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,505,046 times
A green bicycle with training wheels around age 4. That is what comes to mind. The rest I don't remember.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:51 AM

6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
I don’t recall those very early Christmas gifts but sometime around age 6 or 7, Santa brought me a pogo stick. I never asked for one or really knew what it was until it showed up. I’m sure I looked puzzled or even disappointed at the time. I’m never really mastered the skill and often I bought it was the dumbest Christmas gift ever.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:49 AM

970 posts, read 603,310 times
I absolutely loved the puppet mouse Topo Gigio from the Ed Sullivan show and was elated the year when Santa brought me my own Topo Gigio puppet.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:42 AM

13 posts, read 3,259 times
I got lot of chocolates, toffees, cakes as my first christmas gifts from santa on my 5th christmas celebration.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:52 AM

6,179 posts, read 2,852,918 times
around age 5, My Mom got me a Huge Raggedy Ann and Andy Doll. I adored it ! The fact that on their chest was embroidered "I Love you", made it all the more sentimental. I kept that doll for five years....Then during a family transistion.....It was left behind.

So around the age of 47....My Dear Mother sought out the collector dolls and found the original that she had acquired sooo very long ago. That christmas she wrapped it up and when I opened it....again I felt the sentimental love .... My Mom would pass three years later....and I keep those dolls on display now. No longer will I hide that side of joy that it brings every time I look upon it. No one is too old to be told..They are loved....

Old 12-26-2018, 04:50 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
I cant remember a specific "first toy", but tyere were LOTS of memorable ones.

Legos, a red flyer wagon ( my father still has it though its been "rebuilt" several times), my own cassette recorder, my revolver cassette tape holder, a ride on tractor, a tricycle, my own transistor radio, my own am/fm radio, erector sets, matchbox cars ad nauseam, hot wheels racing tracks and "service garage", etc etc.

My father fortunately worked for a fortune top 10 company ( still in existence today and y'all know its name), so i was fortunate.

I guess the MOST memorable "toy" was a marx 027 guage steam train. That was followed by a diesel train set the following Easter!

Thank you for this stroll down amnesia lane....

Old 12-26-2018, 06:53 AM

12,683 posts, read 14,063,903 times
What was the first Christmas present you remember?

Unfortunately, because of another thread....what I remember is finding that Santa had "padded" my stocking with an orange and kumquats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or