U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 AM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times

Advertisements

I've had both good and bad jobs. It seemed that every time I had a job I loved, the company either went under or management changed and people were paid off.

It was during one of those lay offs and while I was working temp assignments in between 'deal's jobs that I temped at a nonprofit and realized I liked the attitudes and dedication of the employees.

My family was shocked when I took a large salary loss and began working for a nonprofit. Through the years I changed organizations but always remained in the nonprofit world.

Yes, I would have more money now if I had stayed in the corporate world but I had enjoyable employment and looked forward to work and helping others. Having that lifestyle isn't for everyone but I liked it and have a lot of good memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 AM

13,660 posts, read 8,577,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
I've come to realize that I've hated just about every single job I've had, and I'm not yet 40.................As I get older, the more I want to live below my means, have 0 debt except the mortgage............
I think you are on the right track, but pay off the mortgage, too. Start this month and pay it off in 15 years.
Study the lives of people who live debt free and see if you can find a model you like. There are a zillion places to live and 2 zillion ways to live your life.
We're debt free living in a low cost of living area. Our property tax is 1000/year and that's the largest expense we have that is not optional.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:59 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,281,254 times
OP, I had a career I loved from about ages 25-55. Then at about 53, I started hated my job. I was bored, and burned out. I'd grown older, and the job/career field had changed. We were like married people that grew apart. But even so, I still had 80% of the 100% perfect life. At 56, I left that 80%, hoping to pick up the other 20%. (I also wanted to moved back to my childhood home and be closer to more family and friends.)

But, now I still only have 80%. the only full-time job I could find -- I hate that also. It pays less than half what I was making before. AND I have no vacation seniority, and I'm only earning two weeks a year. Before I earned five weeks a year, and had 21 year's seniority.

How do I make it through my day hating my job?
1) I TRY not to second guess my decision to leave my previous career. I hated it, was bored and burned out. I can't keep revisiting that. Mentally it doesn't me no good, and it gets me no where.

2) I cry at least a couple of times a week. I stay depressed. But I try to remind myself I have a job, I have health insurance. There are people you have less than I do. I tell myself there must be some gift at my job that I'm not seeing. Basically I just try to force myself to stay positive. Staying depressed sure isn't going to help me.

I DO love being closer to family. The only thing I hate about how things have turned out is my job. I also went from a very white collar educated environment, to a blue collar not-as educated workforce. That's a shock also.

My job is only 8 hours a day. ButI can't stop focussing on that 8 hours. It's like an elephant on my chest. A record that's stuck in my head. All I can do is try to force those thoughts out of my mind, and stay grateful for what I do have. But it's a daily sometimes hour-by-hour minute- by-minute struggle. Thank G-d for my friends who help me stay sane. They keep me going mentally.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:02 AM

7,656 posts, read 4,705,800 times
I never stayed in a job I hated. I was never very good at working well with others.

Job-hopping meant sacrificing some upward mobility and usually taking less pay, but I didn't care. I'd do it again. It gave me the incentive to quit the work world and start my own business. I don't have to see my customers or even communicate with them.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:05 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I never stayed in a job I hated. I was never very good at working well with others.

Job-hopping meant sacrificing some upward mobility and usually taking less pay, but I didn't care. I'd do it again. It gave me the incentive to quit the work world and start my own business. I don't have to see my customers or even communicate with them.
WOW, that is an interesting business you have.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:00 AM

10,133 posts, read 12,385,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I loved my military life!

Maybe you need something more exciting.
I am 70, still working full time and for 43 years I've designed fire sprinkler systems you see in buildings.

We are in a position where I could retire now to a very comfortable retirement but I don't want to retire, I don't want to quit work because what I do is a lot of fun for me. It's a puzzle and I get paid pretty good money to play with puzzles all day, I like it, it's fun and after 43 years I am pretty good at it.

It defines who I am.

This mindset might not be the right one for all of us here but it is the right one for me.

I can easily see myself working another 5 years and probably more as long as my health continues. Nothing wrong with working to 85.

My hero is a tech that does what I do who is 85 years old still working full time in Memphis. With our social security benefits along with a full time payroll we have more money than we need so we just save the excess while doing whatever it is we want to do.

About half the time I work at home and the hours are my choice to make. If I want to go to work I go and if I don't want to I stay home and work. If I don't feel like working Monday I don't. It's a perfect life.

Last edited by nicet4; 12-22-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 10:28 AM

203 posts, read 74,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, I had a career I loved from about ages 25-55. Then at about 53, I started hated my job. I was bored, and burned out. I'd grown older, and the job/career field had changed. We were like married people that grew apart. But even so, I still had 80% of the 100% perfect life. At 56, I left that 80%, hoping to pick up the other 20%. (I also wanted to moved back to my childhood home and be closer to more family and friends.)

But, now I still only have 80%. the only full-time job I could find -- I hate that also. It pays less than half what I was making before. AND I have no vacation seniority, and I'm only earning two weeks a year. Before I earned five weeks a year, and had 21 year's seniority.

How do I make it through my day hating my job?
1) I TRY not to second guess my decision to leave my previous career. I hated it, was bored and burned out. I can't keep revisiting that. Mentally it doesn't me no good, and it gets me no where.

2) I cry at least a couple of times a week. I stay depressed. But I try to remind myself I have a job, I have health insurance. There are people you have less than I do. I tell myself there must be some gift at my job that I'm not seeing. Basically I just try to force myself to stay positive. Staying depressed sure isn't going to help me.

I DO love being closer to family. The only thing I hate about how things have turned out is my job. I also went from a very white collar educated environment, to a blue collar not-as educated workforce. That's a shock also.

My job is only 8 hours a day. ButI can't stop focussing on that 8 hours. It's like an elephant on my chest. A record that's stuck in my head. All I can do is try to force those thoughts out of my mind, and stay grateful for what I do have. But it's a daily sometimes hour-by-hour minute- by-minute struggle. Thank G-d for my friends who help me stay sane. They keep me going mentally.

I agree 100% with this. When I retire I want to move closer to family, but right now I am staying put in my job. I don't like it, but it has advantages. I have income, I add pension credits, and I have health insurance. I am 60, and I have friends that already retired. I envy them, but what keeps me going is that I know myself now. I did not when I was younger. If I left my current job before I was totally secure income wise, it would be a mistake. I would go to the town closer to family and have to job hunt at my age. The thought alone makes me sick. I have excel spreadsheets down to the dime. When I am 62 I am taking SS. I have done all the charts. When I have that income stream, and combined with the pension and savings I can make it. But I'm not jumping right now. I won't make the mistake of my younger self, thinking there is a better job with better people. There isn't, at least not for me.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:58 AM

6,313 posts, read 5,055,910 times
I thought about this thread while witnessing the same bitching and moaning at Christmas eve celebration.

same people - three teachers - all go and sit in a corner and whine about their jobs, their supervisors, the parents, the school board etc. They are the only ones. Wonder if it makes a difference that none went through the regular teacher education program but are teaching under those other certification routes. Two basically hate people and would rather be loners. I think that makes a difference.

It just really irritates me to hear them.

thanks for letting me ***** and moan - lol

Old 12-26-2018, 11:54 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,281,254 times
^^ Why did it irritate you to hear them? If they think their job sucks they have every right to commiserate with each other.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:11 PM

6,313 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Why did it irritate you to hear them? If they think their job sucks they have every right to commiserate with each other.
Because they do this at every single family gathering.

They are the only group that does this. No one else mentions work etc. And if they do, it is just fun things.

And because they are not cut out to be teachers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or