U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 09:47 AM

6,307 posts, read 4,755,565 times

Advertisements

None of this comes easy but here are some steps I believe are important:

Decide on the type of work and activities you enjoy. You need to know yourself and your skills. This can be really tough and you will probably have some false starts. Some questions to consider. Are you an introvert or extrovert? Do you want to work with others or mostly by yourself? Are you more technically oriented, or social, or artistic? Do you want to teach, lead others, manage?

Invest in the skills, knowledge and developing the abilities to succeed and excel in your field. That can mean years of education or apprenticeship or experience. Once you begin to excel in your chosen field, you will gain pride, be paid better, have more opportunities and you are much less likely to be a victim of circumstances.

Pick jobs that fit your career choices and your personality. Pay especial attention to the corporate culture (assuming you work for a company) and be even more careful in picking your boss. If the fit is not good, say no and move on to look for something else.

Many career paths and job choices might require you to move and possibly move several times in your career. If that is not acceptable realize that you have greatly limited your possibilities and consider what will fit within your limitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 AM

21,344 posts, read 21,922,845 times
I hated my years as a flight controller in a busy Northeast control center. It wasn't really the stress, as I was mostly able to ignore all of that. What annoyed me mostly was that I came to realize that I just hated people, not all people, just people in airplanes!

I had a well-deserved break and took the time to learn and enter a whole new trade and career and now maintain, calibrate and test railroad crossing arms...so far, so good, fingers crossed...

Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 AM

56,191 posts, read 54,662,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I think I've had hills and Valleys in my working career. I actually loved my jobs when I first started out. I'm in research and development and truthfully when I first entered the career, companies actually wanted to develop new things and research. now it's 100% totally about the return to stock holders, at least with large chemical/pharmaceutical companies. lol we call it research by stockholder.

Now to be totally fair it's not just that the job has changed, I've also changed. like @mightyqueen801 I've always had a job that involved an hour commute. it's the choice I made for a bigger salary but now I'm finding that what I did at 28 I no longer want to do at 58. Also I've had 30 years of dealing with corporate BS, again when I was younger I didn't mind doing the BS dance to get good ratings and good raises. Now I've learned the game (and it's rigged against the worker) so my patience with it is gone.

I have been blessed that I've never had a really horrible boss and my coworkers are some really good friends.

As to how I make it bearable? I have a great life outside of work, I realize that what I do does not define me.
Good way to state it.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 AM

1,700 posts, read 4,067,736 times
Have work-life balance, minimize contact with negative aspects of your job, and focus on doing your job well.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:03 AM

4,852 posts, read 1,856,441 times
I didn't hate my jobs, but as I look back over my life, one of my biggest regrets is wasting ten years of my life with one company (in a myriad of jobs). It just feels like it was all a huge waste of time in terms of the value I would like to place on my days on the planet.

I do believe you can find work that is gratifying or that propels you quicker towards your goals.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,688,776 times
I never hated my jobs, it was usually the idiots for whom I had to work I couldn’t stand.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 AM

11,153 posts, read 8,563,629 times
Learn to accept YOUR CHOICE to have the job you have. If you hate your current job, make the choice to move to a different job.

Accept that you have chosen to give up eight hours of your day to earn income. Use the remaining 16 hours a day for the things that delight your heart.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 AM

2,918 posts, read 1,594,641 times
Most of the time when I didn't like my jobs it was usually due to the poor personality of managers who made the days unpleasant to one degree or another for no reason other than their negative attitudes, luckily these (2) were few & far between because I left after a short time for better places.

I pretty much liked what I did for a living even though it evolved over the years & certain places valued my skills more than other jobs. Luckily I ended up at 40yo at an ok place with good benefits & working conditions so I stayed there until the "bitter" end. I also was "Mr. Yes" - I didn't say no to anything they asked me to do no matter how long the day(s), how bad the conditions or where I needed to travel to do it. I wanted to be known as the dependable go-to guy. It was only the last year or so, when I was about 60yo, that I finally demurred at a unpleasant out of town job I had done previously for many years when my manager made the mistake of asking me if I wanted to do it. "No... not really." Luckily I had enough job cred by then.

There are always compromises & hopefully one can end up in a place with bigger pluses than minuses. It also helped that I went through a hellish long period with little work & was glad for the final job & that was definitely an attitude adjustment for me as well., a somewhat flawed something was better than nothing.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:22 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,663,642 times
How'd I make it through all those years? The same way you eat an elephant. One bite at a time.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:25 AM

14,424 posts, read 7,939,946 times
I stayed at a job for 13 years that sent me to the ER on the verge of a stress related heart attack. The ER doctor forced me to take ten days off to detox from the stress. That meant ten days without pay. I was working in a big box hospital as a respiratory therapist that was always notoriously under staffed with unrealistic work assignments. It was not unusual to cover an ICU which had the sickest of patients and two other floors. There was 8 ICU's in the hospital plus an ER that accepted level 1 trauma patients from Chicago. The stress was unbearable every day. I was treated like crap because I was in the registry and made more money than regular staff, thus I got the toughest assignments. Why did I stay? I knew I would always get hours and I had financial goals that kept me laser focused. The turn over was great at that hospital and it paid the best at the time.

I quit that job in 2002 and it felt like a prison sentence had been lifted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or