Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:37 AM

245 posts, read 152,876 times

Advertisements

Just think of work as a means to get to retirement. You go through the motions, collect and invest money you get from the job, and plan for the finish line.

Retirement is when you finally have the freedom to do what you want, when you want, and with who you want. It is a beautiful thing. "Work" is just the crap you have to put up with to get there. Life isn't puppy dogs and rainbows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 10:48 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I never hated my jobs, it was usually the idiots for whom I had to work I couldn’t stand.
You picked the wrong jobs and the wrong bosses. Many people apply and interview for a job and the only consideration seems to be to get the job. Selecting and interviewing should also be about what the employee is looking for.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:57 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Learn to accept YOUR CHOICE to have the job you have. If you hate your current job, make the choice to move to a different job.

Accept that you have chosen to give up eight hours of your day to earn income. Use the remaining 16 hours a day for the things that delight your heart.
Do you actually work? When I was working I was at work for 8 1/2 hours. It is common to have the 1/2 hour lunch not count. Plus I had to commute. In my case that took a couple of hours a day but the average is still probably half that amount of time. Then there are meals, cleaning, bill paying, all sorts of chores and obligations. Finally there is bathing and sleep. There is not much, if any personal time left at least for the weekdays.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:14 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
Just think of work as a means to get to retirement. You go through the motions, collect and invest money you get from the job, and plan for the finish line.

Retirement is when you finally have the freedom to do what you want, when you want, and with who you want. It is a beautiful thing. "Work" is just the crap you have to put up with to get there. Life isn't puppy dogs and rainbows.
break it down smaller than that. Think of your job as a means to get out of life the things you want. If you are young that retirement end point can be far down the road.

Do you have immediate goals? It can be some thing super simple like just being able to pay off student loans really quick.

I know when I was on a crappy assignment, thinking like that helped me get through the time. I first started my career I worked in an oil refinery. It was dirty, male oriented and classically "he man' mentality, smelled like asphalt all the time and it was shift work/ 365 days a year meaning some years I worked major holidays but my husband and I wanted to start a family and I wanted to be able to stay home for a year + so I sucked it up to save and do that.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
I hated my job and my boss for years but helping our end users really made it worthwhile. I also took the long view knowing that my boss would retire "someday". That day came and went two years ago, everyone else either retired, look other jobs or moved to the new location for our operation back east. I'm so close to retirement that, I was left behind.

Suddenly, I fell in love with my job. I know it like the back of my hand, HR addressed my "salary compression" issue with a nice raise, no more commute since I work at home now and, best of all, I get to decide when to retire. Since I'm in the driver's seat, what's the rush? If they want me to leave, they can pay me an incentive. Unless I cheat, lie or steal, I'm pretty much untouchable otherwise.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I never hated my job. It was always interesting and a productive effort. I hated that my last boss didn't know what the job was and perverted it for her own purposes. I didn't even hate my boss...she was in over her head (political appointee) and needed someone to prop her up with fake statistics. Sorry, not my job.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:39 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I needed the medical insurance. And I had a friend to play a game with. Each Friday we would ask each other what we had spent money on that week that make working worthwhile. It could be the rent or some sewing machine needles, but if we wanted it and were able to afford it, then that week at work was worthwhile.

I'm still working, BTW, making not enough, but have a major home repair set to start in several weeks. After that's paid for, ask me again.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:45 AM

774 posts, read 1,049,236 times
I don't think there are any jobs that I've hated, but there were certainly times when I was stressed out hated things at that moment. One thing that has always helped me is a simple philosophy - I work to live instead of live to work.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:50 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I think for many people it's their co-workers that are the most difficult part. Not necessarily the job.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:51 AM

774 posts, read 1,049,236 times
I don't think there are any jobs that I've hated, but there were certainly times when I was stressed out hated things at that moment. One thing that has always helped me is a simple philosophy - I work to live instead of live to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement