U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:25 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,154,572 times

Advertisements

I never lasted a single day in a job which I hated simply because I have never hated any of my jobs.

I have had quite a few types of jobs throughout my life (house cleaner, typist, assembly line worker, accounting clerk, tutor, teacher, lab technician, chemist, lab supervisor, engineer and scientist). Of course, I was bored at times in some of the menial jobs and had moments of frustration and high stress in some of the demanding jobs. However, I was always glad to have a job, to receive a paycheck, to be healthy to work, to have an 'inquiring mind' which always find ways to make a job more enjoyable, to learn new things which could lead to a better job, to search for a better job opportunity.

In seeing and reading that many workers dislike their jobs and many retirees are glad that their working days were over, I think I have been very lucky. I attribute my luck to inheriting resilient and optimistic genes from my parents: "always look on the bright side of life". To me, life is what you make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 04:18 PM

6,310 posts, read 5,053,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So did I.

Alas, the military is for the young, so my career could not last as long as I needed to work for a living.
main reason I retired. I was getting too old and slow to keep up with the youngsters in the deployed environments. I didn't want to hold them back - like come and help me get over this bunker- .

Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Well, no matter how I felt about whatever job I had it was always a means to an ends. The ends was a paycheck. The paycheck was to live on and to support the things I really wanted to do after the work day was over. So it was never a big deal to me to try to find the "perfect job."

I think that's why I am enjoying retirement so much. I have eliminated the middle man. It's all "after work" time for me these days.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:30 PM

3,982 posts, read 2,540,487 times
I was a machinist during the hey day of aerospace in southern Calif. I liked being a machinist, it was often rewarding.
I did work for a company for 10 years where my immediate forman hated me, a personality conflict. Not everyday by any means but there were days that I dreaded going to work.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 PM

6,309 posts, read 3,574,248 times
I can make nearly anything interesting so that hasn't been a problem the times I've had to work at a job that wasn't a good match for me.

There is always the people that you work with and getting to know them. That "We're all in this together" thing can make the most miserable job tolerable. If I've got a support system I can do the work and even be in good cheer.

What I've always detested about a steady job is having to set an alarm and show up at a certain time every day. That has always been agonizing for me. It's pure monotony and if I could have put in my forty hours a week when I wanted to even my favorite jobs would have been more pleasant.

In fact, in my retirement I make it a habit to stealth volunteer because I don't want anyone to catch me and pin me down to a spot ever again.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:19 PM

56,048 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I think for many people it's their co-workers that are the most difficult part. Not necessarily the job.
Could be. For me, it was the opposite. My coworkers made life easier.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:18 PM

6,249 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The vast majority of people doing the 9-5 have never and will never be doing anything engaging or fun or exciting or interesting. There isn't that much engaging, fun, exciting, or interesting work to go around.
I would disagree. I can find numerous occupations that I would find engaging and interesting. Some are exciting, few would be considered fun. It is all a matter of finding what interests you and preparing for it. With virtually zero unemployment that is easier than ever.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:19 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
I did what I had to do to pay the bills and have a decent life. Sure I applied for my dream jobs whenever I saw them(LOL) but no one ever wanted to hire me to be a billionaire playgirl or a rockstar. Darn it!

I HAD to work. No choice. If I wasn't working at one crapbucket job, I would be working at another. So I just found the best one I could that paid me the most money. That was legal! I had my standards!

Work was not my life. Work paid for my life. It wasn't pleasant. It wasn't what I wanted to do. I had a good job with good pay and benefits. I was lucky. I have seen people work much harder than I did and make much less. There are not many dream jobs out there so it makes sense most of us just slog off to work every day to pay the bills. There is a reason why it's called work!

If you can be one of the lucky few, great for you! But I think it is usually a mistake to let your job BE your life. Jobs tend to up and disappear when you least expect it. A healthy dose of work hatred makes it easier to move on. Now if I had been a billionaire playgirl I'm sure I would have been quite content to let my work be my life.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:21 PM

There seem to be plenty of complaints about bad bosses. First step is to avoid accepting a job if you don't like the company culture or your specific boss. The number of bad bosses should be an encouragement. If those are the best that companies can hire for management positions, it should be easy to advance and become the boss.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
...... There are not many dream jobs out there so it makes sense most of us just slog off to work every day to pay the bills. There is a reason why it's called work!

If you can be one of the lucky few, great for you! ........
It is rarely luck that leads to rewarding careers or jobs. Most of us do indeed have to work, 40 hours a week, 48 or so weeks a year, for decades. In proportion to all of that time, how long did you work at finding and being hired for a job you really wanted? 1%? That would be 600-700 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or