U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:30 AM

513 posts, read 306,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you have any brains, and get a decent STEM degree, you should not have to work a "grind" job.

This is a very personalized assertion. A STEM degree/job is not a guarantee against a crappy job that's a soul killing grind...... or one that is OK but ruined by having to work with terrible people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:36 AM

11,999 posts, read 17,512,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
I've come to realize that I've hated just about every single job I've had, and I'm not yet 40. Some of you on here mentioned that you hated your whole work life and couldn't wait until retirement from the beginning of your time in the workforce. How did you get through all those years?

I'm not naive enough to think work should be fun or exciting all the time. We work for an income to pay bills and take care of life's expenses. Some are lucky to be able to follow their passion and it produce an income for them. Most of us just have to accept something tolerable and live with it.

After awhile, it seems that all jobs become mentally (or physically) draining. Changing jobs often helps temporarily; but these days, even if you find something great, it never lasts. There are so many company buyouts, mergers, layoffs, management changes, etc. It can be frustrating to jump around and finally get something that's manageable, get settled; then, due to one of the aforementioned things, it comes to an end. You're left to start over, often taking another job you don't really want.

I know the key is to focus on the good aspects of your life and your life outside of work. The problem is that we spend the majority of 5 out of 7 days of our waking lives at work. How did you push yourself through long enough for retirement? We really have no choice, but how did you make it bearable?

As I get older, the more I want to live below my means, have 0 debt except the mortgage, etc. Money buys options if it can't buy happiness. Options give you flexibility to continually change your situation to maintain happiness. Living for Friday afternoons gets old, and the deep Sunday night blues get old too.

It beats the alternative: Unemployment

Old 12-19-2018, 08:47 AM

220 posts, read 32,817 times
It wasn't jobs I hated - it was Government Agency - VA that I hated working for. They don't train their Supervisors and supervisors do illegal things to employees. I left as soon as I could.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:35 AM

157 posts, read 48,631 times
Have spent my adult life in public service (military and civilian). For the first many years it's rewarding and adventurous and can offer a real sense of accomplishment. As the years add up the grind of bureaucracy, apathetic managers and political dysfunction wear you down. Then there's the inevitable public backlash where some segment of the population hates what you stand for. I feel like I'm limping towards the finish line at this point. I also now understand the philosophy behind a 20 year retirement. That's about the time you're ready for something new. Overall however I cannot say I "hated" it and feel I've done some good.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:53 AM

245 posts, read 79,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You are a sad person. I went to school to obtain a degree so that I could work in a field that I wanted to work in. I did exactly that and I enjoy virtually every day of my work. At age 59, I realize my working days are coming to an end. It will be with a heavy heart when I walk out the door for my last time somewhere around age 70.

This world though is full of people who do not plan, do not prepare, and seem to hate the idea of having to make an effort at anything. Such people are generally unhappy and tend not to go far in life. Employers can smell them when they apply for a job and see how many employers they have worked for along with the short time at each job.

I see them everywhere. They are the ones who race out the door five minutes before quitting time. They are the ones who use up all their leave without pay by June. They are the ones who sleep in until 10:00 a.m. on every day off. They are the ones who don't understand why retirement by 55 or 60 doesn't work for most people because of simple demographic issues. They are the ones who regard having to work as a jail sentence rather than an opportunity to learn and associate with others. They are the ones who waste their money on the lottery because all they think about is no longer having to work.

Good luck, people in many countries would give their eye teeth to live as Americans do. Its hard for me to feel sympathy for you.
In a perfect world, we would all have wonderful jobs that interest us and that we consider fun, and we would all have wonderful bosses and coworkers who we truly enjoy spending time with.

Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world. Most jobs are unpleasant in nature, which is why you have to be compensated to perform them. Finding an enjoyable job is very much the exception, not the norm. We also don't have control over who we get to work with when we take a job. Some people we work with are kind, decent human beings. Many are not. On top of that, it's usually very expensive and risky to make a career change, and you very well may have as many problems with the new career as the old one. Work is a necessity for most, so looking forward to getting rid of that necessary evil is logical and very common.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:58 AM

1,782 posts, read 573,575 times
I’m 70 and have had a fair number of jobs. There were only a couple where I was mostly content and liked some aspects. I often wonder how long I might have stayed at those particular places if they hadn’t gone away. Anyway, most of my jobs for most of my life, I really hated. I could hardly wait for the weekends and by Sunday evening I was dreading Monday.

To me, that was just the reality of working. If it was fun stuff to do, they wouldn’t need to pay people. The best money, for me, was in the jobs I hated the most. I just looked at it as I needed/wanted the money and this is what I have to do to get it.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 AM

23,647 posts, read 17,615,071 times
It's been awhile since I've had a job I truly hated. The worst one was for a company that looked great on paper. Horrible people. Most have been tolerable.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:03 AM

9,220 posts, read 9,289,216 times
[quote=AlwaysBeachin;53924659]Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for what I have. I just have extreme frustration with the corporate culture, the games, the fakeness, the politics, the stupid rules, etc. I am, by a long shot, not the only person on this board that's felt this way. In fact, I believe there's a great majority that have the same feelings. I'm a fast-paced, productive, and results-driven person. I see no need to put in "butt in seat" time for 40 hours just because that's the rules. Give me something and let me knock it out quickly or give me some kind of purpose besides making someone else rich. It takes money to make money most of the time, and if I could do what I want, I would have more control over making decisions. I would buy a couple of those self storage units--low overhead, high profit. I knew someone that did very well owning those things. I would do a job or a few different things that gave me variety and didn't chain me to a desk for 8+ hours a day. I'd have a part office/part field type job if I had to work for someone else. I've had them before and liked them, but there aren't many options for that. I'd love to do real estate appraisal--perfect office/field balance; but I'd have to find someone willing to train their replacement, go back to nothing pay for about 2 years, etc. In addition, the Feds got involved after the housing crash, and that career area is not as exciting as it once was. Many appraisers are not happy doing their job anymore.

I thrived in smaller companies where I could see my contributions meant something. I didn't waste my day going through redundant paperwork and sitting through meaningless meetings, and FWIW, I'm working on changing the situation. No, I don't want to work tons of hours unless I am self-employed and it benefits me. I have no problem doing my best, but as long as I work for someone else, I'm not going to put in ridiculous hours. There are plenty of jobs out there that don't require that. I will work to provide myself and my family a comfortable living, and when it's time to go home, I will. I draw the line at that. What you also don't realize is that when you do find these good jobs, many times they don't last. Buyouts/mergers, reorganization, layoffs, etc. Then, what happens? You're stuck trying to take whatever job to pay the bills and avoid the ax.

Look, I may have been a little rough in my first post.

You might consider these things:

1. Job or career counseling.

2. Developing a hobby outside of work that feeds your soul.

3. Looking for work with one of these smaller companies that you mention.

The reality for most people is that retirement is simply not in the cards until you reach at least age 60. Many people want to discover some "great secret" that will enable them to quit their job in their forties, but that is pie-in-the-sky for all, but a very small percentage of people. The reason why early retirement is so expensive is because we can't have a world where 25% of the people are supporting the other 75%. That just wouldn't work out economically or in any other way. Some very driven and creative people use their spare time to create a business or a product and if you watch a t.v. show like Shark Tank you may get some ideas. But most people are not organized, imaginative, or driven enough to create something like that.

When you got your degree in Finance, you really should have had some good idea what jobs were available to you and how you intended to use the degree. If you didn't like what you heard, you should have considered alternatives.

I think all of us are frustrated with our job at times. No one I've met likes office politics, yet they seem to infest almost every organization. There is a downside to every job. The question is how you deal with adversity. Some deal with it better than others.

You aren't describing anything that most of us here don't have to live with daily or that we got out of when we finally were able to retire.

There are no magic solutions.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:37 PM

14,271 posts, read 44,963,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
This is a very personalized assertion. A STEM degree/job is not a guarantee against a crappy job that's a soul killing grind...... or one that is OK but ruined by having to work with terrible people.

Yeah, I have had a couple of not so good jobs during my 40 years or so in the workplace - but with a good STEM degree, and decent work habits, I have always been able to move on from the bad ones, and have for the last 27 years been in a good one.

So, yeah, a strong STEM degree and some experience does not guarantee against ever having a crap job, it just guarantees you have the horsepower to move on if/when you desire.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 AM

3,948 posts, read 3,268,218 times
In my case the idea was to look ahead and focus on the overall picture of work being something that paid the bills, filled my savings sock, allowed me to help my daughter, and gave me some satisfaction for being a societal contributor. I liked the work but disliked the drama in the workplace, some of the people, the bosses, customers, etc.

I'd owned and operated my own business, managed for others, had some months long downtime just to enjoy life, so I wasn't slugging it out every day of my life, but enough slugging to stop the minute I was able to. I worked as a tradesman so the work itself had some aspects of personal success and brought pride into the mix not to mention lots of peer recognition.

I wasn't cut out to be a cubicle rat so the fact that I didn't have to do something too terribly distasteful was a real plus. My work required some hard physical aspects but I started young and left it at forty three to become a corporate slave for a substantially bigger payout, less real work, way better bennies, and, a great retirement. I don't think life was ever too easy for us humans..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or