U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 10:48 AM

20,673 posts, read 16,702,085 times

Advertisements

Hello. I recently discovered that my mom's old employer takes taxes out of her pension. The total amount is $456 a month, she gets $400. My mother's total income is a little less than $20,000 a year. I stopped getting her taxes done after we liquidated her assets and investments (to pay for assisted living, now all assets long gone).

If we file taxes for her, is her income low enough that she can get those taxes refunded? if so, can we file retroactively for the past few years?

Can I/should I contact the pension company (they do have my POA on file) and have them stop taking taxes out?

Thanks for any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 12:00 PM

513 posts, read 635,017 times
$456 x 12 = $5472. What is the source of her other $15,000 income? If she has taxable earnings of less than $12,000 she should not be paying any federal income taxes. There may be a different threshold for state income taxes.

You generally must file an amended return within three years of the date you filed the original return or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:34 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,179,571 times
I believe you can file amended returns for up to the past three years. My question is what happened to the W2 forms her pension place should have sent here each year? you will need those.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:18 PM

513 posts, read 635,017 times
Actually since no tax returns were filed the rules for amended returns don't apply.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/fs-08-12.pdf

What are the consequences of not filing a tax return?
Losing your refund. There is no penalty for failure to file if you are due a refund. However,
you cannot obtain a refund without filing a tax return. If you wait too long to file, you may risk
losing the refund altogether. In cases where a return is not filed, the law provides most
taxpayers with a three-year window of opportunity for claiming a refund.

Apparently the rules for not filing a tax return are very similar to those for amending a return.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,720,561 times
The pension company probably offers to deduct taxes as a service to your mother. If you tell them to stop deducting I think they will. You should also be able to specify the amount to withhold.

I would file all the back tax returns. Assuming she paid in more than she owed I do not think their is any penalty. But to be sure I would call the IRS and ask.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
$456 x 12 = $5472. What is the source of her other $15,000 income? If she has taxable earnings of less than $12,000 she should not be paying any federal income taxes. There may be a different threshold for state income taxes.

You generally must file an amended return within three years of the date you filed the original return or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
Her other income is from Social Security only. Thanks I am definitely going to do this. If I call the pension company, are they allowed to stop taking taxes out? It would save us the expense of filing.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Actually since no tax returns were filed the rules for amended returns don't apply.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/fs-08-12.pdf

What are the consequences of not filing a tax return?
Losing your refund. There is no penalty for failure to file if you are due a refund. However,
you cannot obtain a refund without filing a tax return. If you wait too long to file, you may risk
losing the refund altogether. In cases where a return is not filed, the law provides most
taxpayers with a three-year window of opportunity for claiming a refund.

Apparently the rules for not filing a tax return are very similar to those for amending a return.
Well, three years is better than nothing. Right now I pay almost $200 a month for her groceries because she doesnít have any money. I donít either but I canít tell her she canít get the food she likes. What she eats is pretty much the only thing she can still control😟

Old 12-17-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The pension company probably offers to deduct taxes as a service to your mother. If you tell them to stop deducting I think they will. You should also be able to specify the amount to withhold.

I would file all the back tax returns. Assuming she paid in more than she owed I do not think their is any penalty. But to be sure I would call the IRS and ask.
Thanks so much. Thank you everyone who answered! I tried to find the information online, but I couldnít quite find the answer that was specific enough to my mom situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or