Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:37 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

I think the very worst gift was a diamond heart necklace that a boyfriend gave me.

I was SOOOOO over him, and had tried to discourage him from making the 2 hour drive to see me...but he talked to my oblivious dad, who told him "Sure! Come on down!" And so he did.

As he was giving me the necklace, he made some kind of speech about how he'd never given a girl diamonds before, but I was special.

I'd seen the exact same necklaces in the mall. It was a $40 necklace. Not the equivalent of an engagement ring, which I felt like he was trying to imply.

Ugh. I HATED that necklace. One reason was that I was about ready to break up with him, and I had wished I'd had the nerve to just say so before Christmas, so I felt a little guilty about the necklace.

Another "huh?" Christmas present was from my grandma, when I was about 10 I think. It was a pants and vest (I think) set that was...well...my mom and I weren't sure if it was supposed to be pajamas...or street clothes. the pants and vest were made out of bright, floral, quilted material. Like maybe a bed spread, or a housecoat might be made out of.

I tried once, to wear the vest to school...but I looked at myself in the mirror and was like "nope. can't do it." LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 02:12 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
A spanking on Christmas morning from my sadistic dad. That was an annual event.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
A spanking on Christmas morning from my sadistic dad. That was an annual event.
my dad always took that day off

Old 12-18-2018, 02:56 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Oh, I forgot -- one year I got an anvil for Christmas. It was a chunk of railroad track that someone cut into 18-inch pieces (somehow) and gave out as gifts. It weighed a ton...It seemed. Years later I took it to a recycling center when I sold my house. Guess what... It's illegal to recycle anything removed from railroad property. I got a lecture and went back home with my anvil. It is still in the old house. Maybe the new owner needs an anvil.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
[quote=Ghengis;53919803]My dad always took that day off

I wish mine had...

Old 12-18-2018, 05:39 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
At a job I had two years ago, I had to work 13 hours on the Friday before Christmas and received no gift at all.

Years ago, I had a collection of gifts I never used, so decided to regift them all to get rid of them. Unfortunately I wrapped them and then wasn't sure what was what, so I just guessed and my dad ended up getting a very cutesy pink hand towel set with kittens on it.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
There've been a few.

A nose hair scissors.

A wine decanter. I don't drink wine.

And a plastic wallet that I heard the benefactor later bragging that she had gotten at a garage sale for fifty cents.

I'm not sure what the hidden messages were but I could make a few guesses.

Seeing this thread I immediately thought of my son when he was about six. They were to bring an inexpensive gift for a member of a group he belonged to.

He went shopping with his father and Dad told me that it took him forever to pick out just the perfect gift. He was so excited about it!

His dad was there when they opened their presents. My son got a rusted hammer head, no handle, wrapped in a newspaper and tied with string. Dad said it was all he could do to keep from crying when he saw the look on our son's face.

The only thing we could think was that someone's parent's didn't take time or money to help the kid buy a gift and he scrounged around for the best thing he could find. I didn't know if I felt more compassionate for my son or for the little boy who didn't have a present to give. I do know that I was angry as only a young mother can be at parents who would let this happen. (If they even noticed.)

Old 12-18-2018, 07:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Do you mean a worst gift than the box of chocolate covered cherries exchanged between grade schoolers when Christmas was still allowed in public schools? God....those were awful candies!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-18-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-18-2018, 07:26 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I almost forgot - when I was in grade school, the town school board gave each kid a box of candy at Christmas. Combo of those hard pillow shapes, and ribbon candy. NO ONE liked it. You couldn't even trade it. Awful stuff, with those weird spice flavors, like clove. YUK.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I wouldn't say "worst" gift but I've had bad Christmases, overall.

If I get gifts I don't like I just re-gift them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement