U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)

9,480 posts, read 3,639,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I almost forgot - when I was in grade school, the town school board gave each kid a box of candy at Christmas. Combo of those hard pillow shapes, and ribbon candy. NO ONE liked it. You couldn't even trade it. Awful stuff, with those weird spice flavors, like clove. YUK.
I actually love that kind of candy. I'll take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 1,060,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I actually love that kind of candy. I'll take it.
I'll swap you for your chocolate Santa!!

Old 12-18-2018, 07:43 PM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I have three friends (siblings) whose parents didn't give any of them a wedding gift either. Not even a card.
My parents did not give us a wedding gift when we got married either.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)

9,480 posts, read 3,639,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My parents did not give us a wedding gift when we got married either.
I find that very odd, unless they paid for the wedding (which would count as a gift of course).

Old 12-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
I find that very odd, unless they paid for the wedding (which would count as a gift of course).
really? I find it very COMMON!

and NO they (parents) paid for Nothing, I mean NOTHING! (I had already been caring for them (disabled parents) for 10 yrs BEFORE I got married), and for the next 20+

In-laws? They HATED that we got married, were bitter for the next 30 yrs, No presents / funding desired or necessary

They did make it a point to visit Grandkids for about 2 hrs / yr (when it was convenient).

Sometime 5+ yrs went by. (they really hated us)

Christmas is not my favorite holiday, I pray I live through it (annually).

That is not so rare either.

Life is not a bowl of Cherries (at this Addy).
YMMV, hope so!

Quote:
A spanking on Christmas morning from my sadistic dad. That was an annual event.
Yeah... I was SO happy when at age 15 I started working on Christmas Day!!! (Great escape from a very miserable (and dangerous) home),. My mom was far more physically violent than my dad. (fortunately he was only home 36 hrs / week (Friday at midnight until Sunday noon))

As mentioned.. if not for Grandparents (12 hours away) I would have never made it past age 12.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:17 PM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
My bride was orphaned at 12, her cousins rotated hosting her until she turned 18. We married when we were both 22. We were married on-base at the chapel [which was free]. Her aunts influenced the VFW to donate the use of the VFW hall for the reception, and the K of C donated the booze for the reception.

My father attended. My mother did not attend, nor did any of my siblings.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:31 PM

24,983 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
When I was 4, I think, I got a huge "baby doll" from my grandma. My mom had told her that I did NOT like dolls but she obviously knew better! I immediately gave it to my sister, that very second - I don't think there was even a trade involved. My grandma was really upset and I think I was made to take it back and thank her but it still ended up with my sister - she loved any kind of doll you'd give her.
Mom told me that when my older sister was about 4 and got a life size Patti Playpal doll for Christmas, that she took off its clothes and threw it down the basement steps. LOL She was terrified of it.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 PM

881 posts, read 335,454 times
When I was 7 or 8 my maternal grandmother, who I never clicked with, gave me a pair of slippers. A fairly normal gift, except these slippers were pink satin, made to look like ballet shoes - and I was the most tomboy of tomboys. My family all laughed when I opened the gift. I never wore them.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I almost forgot - when I was in grade school, the town school board gave each kid a box of candy at Christmas. Combo of those hard pillow shapes, and ribbon candy. NO ONE liked it. You couldn't even trade it. Awful stuff, with those weird spice flavors, like clove. YUK.
I liked ribbon candy.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 PM

My dad belonged to the VFW for years. It was a very active post and they had many events. At the annual Christmas party, each young child received a gift from Santa. Mine was obviously intended for a boy. The package had been thrown into the G for girl box by mistake. Mom and dad hunted down the poor, embarrassed, boy who had received the girly toy. They were looking for us, too.

When I was a senior in high school, my brother and sister-in law gave me coffee mugs. They were both elementary school teachers. Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or