U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,691,075 times

Advertisements

I was young 18. BF was 6 years older.

First Christmas. Just dropped by my house and I gave him a small token gift. I think it was an Ozzy album and he loved Ozzy. All wrapped with a card. Seemed happy with it.

We had this office in the house and he disappeared, went in there, came out, gave me a check for like $10 or $15 - I don't really remember but good manners taught me to say thank you and as soon as he left, I ripped it up; I was so hurt.

Should have seen the signs and broken up then. I did finally after wasting more time with him.

One thing I did right in my life. Can't imagine how my life would have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,691,075 times
Smile Mine didn't either

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I find that very odd, unless they paid for the wedding (which would count as a gift of course).
No real wedding gift for me either for reasons I knew.

I had to help my dad financially so I knew. However, he had connections to where I had the reception and I know I got some kind of discount.

Fun night too.

I got married during the World Series (shame) so my dad had the place open the room next door and put a few TV's in there. All the men were going back and forth and all the women were dancing. Just fun.

My daughter just got married, did a lovely 3 day destination wedding her way, first class, everyone so impressed; we gave her a check.

Pretty much all the family went (22 of us) and most of her cousins gave her experience gifts (facials, massages, places to go).

My husband always asks me - let's do it again!

Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 PM

16,417 posts, read 5,352,322 times
Not a Christmas gift, but my birthday is in December. Husband gave me a softcover book, "Tips and Tricks for Word 6.0." How romantic! *eyeroll* In his mind it was a great gift because I'd just bought Word for my laptop. But I never even looked at it and ended up giving it away.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,037,294 times
I got a pretty wrapped and bowed package of wild rice, maybe a cup of it. Not sure why?

Old 12-19-2018, 08:25 AM

6,308 posts, read 3,572,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When I was a senior in high school, my brother and sister-in law gave me coffee mugs. They were both elementary school teachers. Seriously?
A friend who's a music teacher always gives gifts with a music motif. I thought, "How clever of her!" Then the light bulb came on.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:37 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,830,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Do you mean a worst gift than the box of chocolate covered cherries exchanged between grade schoolers when Christmas was still allowed in public schools? God....those were awful candies!
OMG! I loved those chocolate cherries. It was an ongoing thing between me and my mom (may she rest) because I loved them. She would put a box in my stocking every year even until I was in my 30's. I would get her a box for Valentines Day. I miss that so much.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,783,357 times
My grandma always gave us big expensive dolls for Christmas and I would love to touch their clothes the fur collars and such . Well the minute grandma left mom took those dolls away from us and put them back in the box and was at the store the minute it opened and she exchanged the dolls for underwear and socks and said her mother had too much money if she was spending it on sh*t like that . The whole time she was boxing the dolls she kept saying my mother has lost her mind giving you brats dolls like that . So yes we got underwear and socks worst gift ever for a kid . I think after about 3 years my grandma caught on to what my mom was doing and she would take us and let us pick a doll we liked and then she would keep the receipt and my mom was p.o. ed over that . And people wonder why I hate Christmas so much .

Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM

389 posts, read 269,519 times
A former boss of around 15 years was always getting me to do personal shopping and things for him. He paid me but that wasn't the point: I wanted to do my work (managing his company) then go live my life.

He had me pick up his relatives at the airport (for which they really hated him for not doing himself), take his cat to the vet, etc. He ruined a couple of 4-day Thanksgiving holiday breaks by calling me when he had to go to the emergency room. Once for back sprain and the other for an appendectomy. Never wanted to phone one of his brothers. He wasn't married and gals rarely wanted to date him more than a couple of dates.

Back to the Xmas gift:
He always did local (non-internet) shopping for Xmas a few days before and got thoughtless gifts for everyone. He knew I had very bad allergies. One year he gave me a boxed Poison perfume set. One sniff gave me a headache.

I gave the pieces away to the young admin gals. That's when I started planning my exit from his company.

Xmas does seem to out the egocentric among us, doesn't it?

Old 12-19-2018, 04:47 PM

1,186 posts, read 352,375 times
My older sister gave me a plastic flower arrangement with birds in it. When it was plugged in it would light up and the birds would start chirping. Insanity!

Old 12-19-2018, 04:58 PM

1,186 posts, read 352,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I had an aunt that was famous for her misguided clothing gifts.

I was 14, full into the 1980s alternative/punkish scene (Think The Cure) with black velvet and hair hanging in my face and safety pins and ripped black tights with buckled boots etc.

This aunt gave me a bright pink sweatshirt with a lavender poodle on the front that was constructed from 1-inch pompoms. It looked like something a 5-year-old might wear... who knows why they even made it in teenage sizes!

LOL.... Ah, that might have been the beginning of an entire new trend have you chosen to wear it with your ripped tights and buckled boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or