U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:17 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,324,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
On a brighter note, wife and I play (basically) 'Worst Christmas Gifts' game. We independently go to dollar stores, and find the most stupid thing we can buy for =<$1 , then wrap it up.
Two years ago, best gift: I gave her a fired-clay ashtray with a skull on the back, looking down into the tray. She doesn't smoke.

Last year's best gift: wife gave me a plastic wine glass shaped like a skull as payback. I have to drink out of its mouth! Yuck!!

We typically have about 20 stupid gifts each around the tree, and they are hilarious to open. Most find homes at Goodwill or other shops, but a couple of the worst find a home here- and adorn Christmas Dinners.

My whole family does this. For a couple bucks each, we literally laugh until we cry. The dumb things you can get at a dollar store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:54 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
One year in the '90s the word got out with the inlaws that I liked Vanilla Fields cologne. Well guess what I got 5 of for Christmas!

They would get on a roll like that to the point that one Christmas my 7 year old niece announced at the Thanksgiving gift draw, "No more Hello Kitty!"

Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 PM

34 posts, read 22,642 times
One year my husband, who is the king of bad presents, handed me a present to open. When I opened it I looked into the box, screamed, and threw the box far from myself. I thought there was a live mouse in the box. It was actually a cat magnet made with fake fur. Do you remember those magnets from back in the late 90's? Later that day I took that mousey looking cat magnet to our family dinner and surreptitiously put it on my parents fridge. It didn't take long for someone to notice it. (They said, "Ahhh!") For a few years that magnet made the refrigerator rounds (sneakily) until somewhere down the line someone didn't keep it going.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:53 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
A Bible.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:51 AM

10,322 posts, read 9,372,412 times
A package containing the most foul smelling hand lotion and bath soap. . . it ended up in the trash where it belonged in the first place.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:29 AM

881 posts, read 335,454 times
For Christmas one year my husbandís sister and brother-in-law gave us two used Oktoberfest mugs. With dried beer in the bottoms.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:53 AM

6,551 posts, read 1,344,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
For Christmas one year my husbandís sister and brother-in-law gave us two used Oktoberfest mugs. With dried beer in the bottoms.
Okay, I think you "win" -- at least for worst present listed on THIS thread.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:59 PM

881 posts, read 335,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, I think you "win" -- at least for worst present listed on THIS thread.
Yay?! lol

My husband and I felt pretty weird about the gift. They were low income, had three kids, and we certainly didn't expect them to give us anything. It wasn't the only weird thing those two did over the years, and we never spent much time with them. Luckily we opened it up at home alone and not in front of the family, because we laughed in surprise. And tossed them.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:07 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,660,491 times
My wife just told me this story tonight.

One of the Teachers in her elementary school building, and the Teacher's Aide in the same classroom, each received identical Belated Christmas Gifts this week from one of the students in the room.

They each received an aerosol can of "Cootchie Shave Cream". Sold by the Pure Romance company.

Everyon in the building is now convinced these gifts will be recycled between Teachers as a prank for year!.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM

6,779 posts, read 3,857,072 times
My friend received a paper plate with free condiment packets taken from taco bell and McDonalds. It was from her landlord, who was quite wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or