U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:05 PM

563 posts, read 266,261 times

Advertisements

in_newengland said someone should start What is the worst Christmas gift you ever got? So here it is.

You won't believe this but I can't think of anything that I disliked. I always felt it was the thought that really counted.

I guess I'll say it was the gift I didn't get from half sister that took pleasure in tormenting me. I was 8 years old and I remember her showing me what she planned to give me, I was so excited I could hardly wait. It was plastic high heel shoes. We always went to our great aunts on Christmas Eve and exchanged gifts with my half sister, aunt and uncle after supper. My aunt and uncle gave me a new pair of white gloves, my sister gave me nothing. She told me later she gave them to her cousin since I already knew what it was. When I look back on it, it was silly that I cried over something like that.

The shoes my half sister bought were clear but I found this picture and they are similar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,099,758 times
This should be a fun thread.

I wouldn't call it the "worst" gift I ever had, though it seemed like it to me at the time. When I was about 18, I was not the least bit interested in cooking, knew nothing about it, and had no interest in it whatsoever, a co-worker gave me a gift at an office Christmas party. When I opened it, I assumed it was a gag gift--a bottle of cooking oil. I made a face when I opened it, and laughed out loud. I thought she must have just grabbed something from her kitchen cupboard as a joke and wrapped it up as a gift.

Many years later, I realized that it was a very nice bottle of expensive olive oil, and it wasn't meant as a gag gift.

Last edited by oldgardener; 12-17-2018 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 PM

221 posts, read 115,962 times
Boss at my final workplace received an annual, mail order, cheese gift box. Far too much content for a single person, it was portioned out to several of us in the department. Gave mine to her good friend because it had meat portions. After several years she told me it was a spite gift as the boss knew I didn't eat meat. Saying she cut the cheese was our inside joke.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:32 PM

1,635 posts, read 563,626 times
I'm not sure if it qualifies for "worst", but I do nominate it for Most Inconsiderate:

In the late 1970s my then-MIL gave me a pair of pierced earrings. Thinking (silly me) that she'd never really noticed my ears and just 'assumed' (or that the earrings were given to me accidentally) I said "Thank you, but unfortunately I can't wear these because I don't have pierced ears."

To which she breezily replied "Oh yes I know, but you can get your ears pierced at the kiosk in the mall" ... as if it was a given that I'd do so. I was flabbergasted and didn't know what to say. What I wanted to say was "The reason my ears aren't pierced is because I don't WANT them pierced and it will be a cold day you know where before I do." But of course I didn't and simply gave a kind of weak smile and hastily changed the subject.

I did say those words to my husband after the in-laws went home, though. He just shrugged and said "Do whatever you want with them." They were in a Macys box and so I decided to return them. According to the sales clerk, though, it wasn't their merchandise.

So I asked my friend Janet, who does have pierced ears, whether she wanted them. She said okay. About a week later she called to tell me that when she wore the earrings to work one day she had to remove them because they made her ears all red and swollen. Apparently my MIL had bought a pair of cheap earrings, probably at a local flea market, and plopped them into a Macy's box.

Thus, two strikes against that gift: One for giving me those earrings in the first place, and another for trying to pass off a piece of junk as a better gift than it was.

(ETA: My in-laws were by no means financially strapped; he was a retired stockbroker, they had a 28 foot cabin cruiser, and they spent every winter snowbirding in Florida. So the cheapo gift wasn't for any budgetary reasons. She was just that kind of person.)

Old 12-17-2018, 09:39 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Back in the 1970's pullover crocheted sweater vests were popular. I got one as a gift for Christmas and I never wore it. There was a huge target, bulls-eye, on my chest right over my boobs. I would drag it out now and than as a joke. And it never failed!

What were they thinking?

Old 12-17-2018, 09:50 PM

15 posts, read 5,657 times
One year, the Principal at our school gave each classroom teacher a Christmas card (generated from the office copy machine) and a box of Tic-Tac breath mints. Prior to receiving our "gift," each of us had donated $20.00 to buy her and the assistant Principal, gift cards ($300.00 & $150.00) to Ann Taylor.

The following year, her gift to us wasn't much better. Same copied card, but this time, she included a $100,000. candy bar with a tag attached, telling us that's what we were worth to her.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:51 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,659,218 times
In recent years, a box of Keurig coffee pods — hazelnut flavor. I despise the “brewing” contraption and would never own one. Hazelnut flavored coffee is awful however it’s made. It went into the trash.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:29 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,749 times
I was called onto the manufacturing floor, and a manager told us the company was shutting down, and we were all out immediately. This was second shift, Christmas Eve, trying to make monthly shipments for end of the year. We didn't get paid.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:57 AM

5,941 posts, read 5,298,958 times
Tin of sunflower seeds, bow tie, kitchen towel from the dollar store.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:20 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,652,500 times
LOL, there was the year my whole family learned re-gifting can come back to haunt you.

My brother gave me a book that he swore he bought "especially for me." He even told me a whole saga about going to a few different places to find it.

Unfortunately, he didn't realize I would recognize it. I had given it to my dad the year before. There was even a bookmark inside that I had made for him.

Apparently my dad didn't especially like getting a book, so he re-gifted it to my brother, who also didn't want it. So he re-gifted it to me. Ooops!

Fortunately my family has a sense of humor about such things, so it's become one of those classic family stories. Great for when we feel like teasing each other, and handy for reminding each other of important things to know when it comes to gift giving:

1. My dad and my brother don't like getting books

2. If a gift comes from one family member, never re-gift to another family member!

and, perhaps the most important:

3. If you're going to re-gift, at least be honest about it. Making up a story about how you bought it has a way of backfiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or