U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 01:36 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Actually HIS "scientific" studies were published 20 years ago and were pretty sketchy. There have been a few rebuttals, but basically little or no confirmation of his findings. He seems to have benefited most with some level of fame and fortune.

There is no doubt that weight reduction and exercise are of benefit, but supposedly healthy diets are way, way more uncertain.

As well as mist people find Ornish's routine very hard to follow.

My philosophy in recent years has been "everything in moderation." That is advice that is 2000+ years old and still seems to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:30 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,171,440 times
I have 3 stents from two heart attacks, and I also have diabetes and I do not eat any special diet. I eat what I want because it is about the only pleasant thing left in my life that I can do.
I also don't make my own food someone makes it for me so having a special diet would be that much harder to do, if I wanted to.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,429,934 times
You can only control yourself.
The guy I left in CT has had 2 heart attacks and I think 1 our 2 stents. He pretty much eats like a pig. Seems self destructive.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:51 PM

1,040 posts, read 485,290 times
I find the fact that people downplay the importance of diet when it comes to conditions like obesity, strokes, heart attacks and diabetes absolutely comical.
Talk about deep denial and stubbornness.

A whole foods, plant based diet can clearly help immensely with all these conditons and even if people had it most of the time my bet is they would see tremendous positive results.

and the whole "it's in the genes" excuse reminds me of the defiant alcoholic or addict that says "hey its in the genes------ nothing I can do" hahahaha
c'mon people.....

Old 12-19-2018, 05:45 PM

2,788 posts, read 996,614 times
I haven’t gotten any stents yet. But do suffer from AFib and have a high degree of calcium in my arteries so I know at some time I’ll have to get some. I eat healthier than I used to, try to exercise more, keep blood pressure, stress down but I do not like fish so while I eat some now is minimal and I still eat foods I like in moderation. Don’t think I can go on a strict heart healthy diet and still enjoy eating.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:50 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
Our food choices and diet can reverse cardiac damage
A REMEDY for damaged hearts has never been so sorely needed.

Tue, Aug 16, 2016 https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-healthy-heart

“In the 1990s Dr Dean Ornish devised a year-long lifestyle modification program for heart disease sufferers. The Lifestyle Heart Trial looked at the impact of a low-fat vegetarian diet, moderate exercise, no smoking and stress management training.

The participants who made these changes did not take cholesterol lowering medications. The results were impressive. Not only did the program lead to a 91 per cent reduction in the number of chest pains reported but it also found a 4.5 per cent reduction in the narrowing of coronary arteries after a year and a 7.9 per cent improvement five years later.

By contrast the arteries of heart disease sufferers in the control group, who received standard medical treatment including cholesterol-lowering medications, had almost a 28 per cent increase in the narrowing of their arteries after five years.

They also experienced more than twice as many cardiac events, such as heart attack. Since the initial research scientific studies have revealed that the Ornish approach can benefit more than our hearts.
Studies have found that the lifestyle changes can also reverse Type 2 diabetes and early stage prostate cancer, plus change gene expression in more than 500 genes.

This means that if you’ve inherited “at risk” genes you can change how they act in terms of disease. The programme can even lengthen telomeres (ends of chromosomes) which are crucial to how our bodies age.”

Perm J. 2013 Spring; 17(2): 61–66.
doi: 10.7812/TPP/12-085
Nutritional Update for Physicians: Plant-Based Diets
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

Abstract

The objective of this article is to present to physicians an update on plant-based diets. Concerns about the rising cost of health care are being voiced nationwide, even as unhealthy lifestyles are contributing to the spread of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. For these reasons, physicians looking for cost-effective interventions to improve health outcomes are becoming more involved in helping their patients adopt healthier lifestyles. Healthy eating may be best achieved with a plant-based diet, which we define as a regimen that encourages whole, plant-based foods and discourages meats, dairy products, and eggs as well as all refined and processed foods. We present a case study as an example of the potential health benefits of such a diet. Research shows that plant-based diets are cost-effective, low-risk interventions that may lower body mass index, blood pressure, HbA1C, and cholesterol levels. They may also reduce the number of medications needed to treat chronic diseases and lower ischemic heart disease mortality rates. Physicians should consider recommending a plant-based diet to all their patients, especially those with high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or obesity.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-19-2018 at 06:01 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 PM

4,698 posts, read 2,546,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And.. to get back to the OT- I live in an area with mixed demographics and I hate to see people who are grossly overweight and on scooters in the grocery store, filling their baskets with LIttle Debbies, 6-packs of 7-Up and fatty meats. Why is it my business, you ask? Well, when I'm going to be paying over $200/month next year in extra Medicare premiums (IRMAA adjustments) to keep Medicare solvent, yes, people incur extra medical costs because they have preventable conditions and aren't taking care of themselves ARE my business.
So, your individual income is between $133,501 - $160,000 and you feel entitled to snoop into the grocery carts of other people who likely earn less than you to see what they are buying?

And what does "mixed demographics" have to do with anything?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:49 PM

7,664 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And.. to get back to the OT- I live in an area with mixed demographics and I hate to see people who are grossly overweight and on scooters in the grocery store, filling their baskets with LIttle Debbies, 6-packs of 7-Up and fatty meats. Why is it my business, you ask? Well, when I'm going to be paying over $200/month next year in extra Medicare premiums (IRMAA adjustments) to keep Medicare solvent, yes, people incur extra medical costs because they have preventable conditions and aren't taking care of themselves ARE my business.

Get in line. There are a lot of us paying high Medicare premiums.

It never occurred to me that doing so would entitle me to pass judgment on what other people do and eat, though. Those things seem wholly unrelated to the fact that we are mildly well-off.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 AM

3,494 posts, read 1,916,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Actually HIS "scientific" studies were published 20 years ago and were pretty sketchy. There have been a few rebuttals, but basically little or no confirmation of his findings. He seems to have benefited most with some level of fame and fortune.

There is no doubt that weight reduction and exercise are of benefit, but supposedly healthy diets are way, way more uncertain.

You are what you eat!

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...t-inflammation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or