U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 AM

56,187 posts, read 54,662,203 times

Advertisements

I sent this to my sister and my niece, both of whom had incidents in their family this week.

In the one incident, they think it was an inside job, maybe a Verizon worker. A guy approached the UPS guy when he was in the neighborhood and he had the tracking number for an iPhone my BIL's cousin had ordered for her son. The idiot UPS guy not only gave him the package without asking for ID, he said, "Oh, I have a second package for you" and gave him another one. Then the thief actually delivered the second package, which I guess he didn't want, to the house of my BIL's cousin, and their security system got him on video.

In the second, my niece was in her garage getting her kids' gifts she had put there to bring in the house and wrap. She turned around and there was a man in her driveway who said, "You shouldn't be giving your children all those gifts when there are so many unfortunate children." She said, "Please get off my property" and locked the garage and went in the house and told her husband.

They have a video camera outside and later her husband saw the guy trying to get into the garage and called the cops.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 AM

11,102 posts, read 12,491,223 times
Although "booby traps" are illegal in most states, clever. Or you could just have a delivery notification send to your smart phone and be home. Retirement, where the cool kids hang out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:44 AM

6,652 posts, read 1,377,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Although "booby traps" are illegal in most states, clever. Or you could just have a delivery notification send to your smart phone and be home. Retirement, where the cool kids hang out.
Love your sense of humor, Jim!

Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 AM

7,328 posts, read 4,174,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am no lawyer, but I think some of these ideas would fall under "entrapment".
No. Leaving a package on a porch in no way constitutes entrapment.

Quote:
Don't misunderstand this -- I say MAJOR kudos to the glitter trap inventor!! -- but I also wonder if some of the thieves could sue..
Anyone can sue for anything. Doesn't mean they have an actual case.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:20 AM

5,458 posts, read 2,846,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Iíve toyed with the idea of setting out a bait package mailed to myself from a different town, reusing a like-new box printed with the name of a desirable objectís manufacturer. Say, maybe a box that a computer was shipped TO THE STORE in, getting it from the store before they cut it up (tell them why you want it). And then putting a worthless object inside and UPSing to my home. Then move it to where a thief would feel emboldened enough to trespass and steal it...while being videorecorded by at least two cameras.

Betchat someone would steal it. Could offer clues to who is committing similar crimes in the area.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 AM

5,798 posts, read 4,851,439 times
The "sad that we need it, but it will probably become common" answer to this is a lockable box on your porch, or nearby, that can't be removed. Sort of like a large metal box that's bolted to the porch or somehow anchored in the ground. The delivery person puts the packages inside and locks the latch. You return home, unlock it, and retrieve your package. Neighborhoods with the cluster mailboxes have one or more larger mail boxes that they put your package in and then put the key in your locking mailbox. That's fine, but doesn't work for Fedex or UPS.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 AM

5,458 posts, read 2,846,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I sent this to my sister and my niece, both of whom had incidents in their family this week.

In the one incident [CUT]

In the second, my niece was in her garage getting her kids' gifts she had put there to bring in the house and wrap. She turned around and there was a man in her driveway who said, "You shouldn't be giving your children all those gifts when there are so many unfortunate children." She said, "Please get off my property" and locked the garage and went in the house and told her husband.

They have a video camera outside and later her husband saw the guy trying to get into the garage and called the cops.
Dontcha just love hypocrites who spout politically-correct nonsense to rationalize stealing?

We had a lot of hippie-crites in our previous town. Some of them weaseled their way into positions such as County Commissioner and City Council.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:44 PM

295 posts, read 221,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The "sad that we need it, but it will probably become common" answer to this is a lockable box on your porch, or nearby, that can't be removed. Sort of like a large metal box that's bolted to the porch or somehow anchored in the ground. The delivery person puts the packages inside and locks the latch. You return home, unlock it, and retrieve your package. Neighborhoods with the cluster mailboxes have one or more larger mail boxes that they put your package in and then put the key in your locking mailbox. That's fine, but doesn't work for Fedex or UPS.

Few problems why this hasn't taken off yet.

1. multiple deliveries on same day
2. large or overly long packages
3. won't work for apt or condos
4. eyesore

Old 12-20-2018, 01:48 PM

594 posts, read 859,495 times
I wonder if he could mass market them for sale. He could probably sell them on Amazon. Call Sharktank and pitch the idea.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:38 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,927,697 times
It appears that some of the filmed reactions were faked without the creator's knowledge.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/21/glit...-confirms.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement