Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:06 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

I suggest loading that package with a tear gas canister.

Great video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 06:18 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
that type of "booby-trap" is illegal in my state.

a legally 'protected class' of citizens exists which cannot discern
right from wrong: children, mentally handicapped, etc....so
ANY and ALL devices which COULD (not designed to...but could)
cause even the slightest injury are specifically banned and has
Class E Felony implications.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Someone in our neighborhood placed dog poop in an old amazon box and left it on their porch. Sure enough it was stolen, and they got video of the thief tossing the package out the window. Someone had to go pick it up and dispose of it, but at least it was fun for the victim to watch the video, and I bet that thief never steals from that particular house again.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Those robbing jerks were jerks 3 times over.

1. Stealing someone's property

2. Having the nerve to get mad/indignant when they realized what happened.

3. Then littering by just throwing it out the car window.

Aholes every one. And you know they think they are good people.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Those robbing jerks were jerks 3 times over.

1. Stealing someone's property

2. Having the nerve to get mad/indignant when they realized what happened.

3. Then littering by just throwing it out the car window.

Aholes every one. And you know they think they are good people.
Yeah, they think they are good because they are stealing it to give as gifts to other people. Sure, sure.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:09 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
No, they would just open the boxes down the road and dump the trash there when they found out nothing good was inside. Nasty things that explode and stick to them are better.
The box and packaging to prevent damage is bulky thus limiting the amount of loot that can be picked up on any piracy mission. But more importantly should they get searched by the police the box is evidence that the goods belong to someone else and not random stuff they have. I know when the streets on my route get hit by a pirate crew there will be a bunch of cut opened boxes and all I can do is say well at least the pirates already passed through before I delivered my packages on that particular day.

To actual combat the piracy, you need a fence, or something like bushes or potted plants to provide concealment so the pirate's spotter can't ride by on a scooter or bike and call in the location to his pickup man. But then you have to leave any gate unlocked or because of the "leave if no response" endorsement and SOP for packages not requiring a signature might be left at the mouth of the gate so the deliveryman can move on to the next delivery instead of going all the way to what you hope is the hidden delivery point.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Since the people clearly stole the package, I would prefer to see their facial expressions and also it would be helpful to identify them. Because they were in the middle of a criminal act, I hope that they would not be able to sue the inventor.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
that type of "booby-trap" is illegal in my state.
Then the law should be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
... a legally 'protected class' of citizens exists which cannot discern
right from wrong: children, mentally handicapped, etc....so
ANY and ALL devices which COULD (not designed to...but could)
cause even the slightest injury are specifically banned and has
Class E Felony implications.
I prefer life in prison without possibility of parole. Not for the creator of the booby trap, which is designed to teach a lesson rather than create permanent bodily damage -- but for (a) the porch pirate, and (b) the whack-job legislators who pass whack-job legislation thereby demonstrating their perpetual un-fitness to govern.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
To actual combat the piracy, you need a fence, or something like bushes or potted plants to provide concealment so the pirate's spotter can't ride by on a scooter or bike and call in the location to his pickup man.
More sophisticated rings of pirates now employ US Postal Delivery employees and contractors, and UPS & Fed Ex delivery employees as spotters. The delivery person (a) delivers the package, and (b) notifies the pirates.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:11 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
I am no lawyer, but I think some of these ideas would fall under "entrapment".

Don't misunderstand this -- I say MAJOR kudos to the glitter trap inventor!! -- but I also wonder if some of the thieves could sue. In this criminal-as-victim climate, I would think it would be possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1cKM-_CKno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement