U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:58 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
It seems a lot of your posts mention your girlfriend being a drag on your life. Might want to make some changes starting there. Not my place to advise you but I think you already know the problem and solution.
We had a fight yesterday.

I came over after work, then receive a work page as I'm walking in the door. I wasn't on-call this week and shouldn't even be getting them. Supposedly urgent and has to be handled immediately.

I'm trying to fumble through connecting work servers on my phone, and she says I'm "hateful." Well, I'm sure I wasn't pleasant, but after having gotten off work, then receiving a page, and having to deal with clumsily, no one would be happy.

She sits there with arms crossed looking like she wants to rip my head off. I try to calm her down and have a good day, but she just sits there mad. I leave. She calls me back wanting to come back over, but I didn't want to after as mad as she was. All we would be doing is fighting some more.

I'm just very frustrated overall. A relationship is supposed to be a two-way street, but this is just caregiving for me. I understand she doesn't have any money, but she was making me something for Christmas, started in the first of December, and couldn't even complete it by Christmas Day. Meanwhile, I've given her all sorts of presents. She got a brand new iPhone XR (although hers was free when I upgraded my phone), new sheets/comforter from my mom, a writing set from my aunt, a lap desk for her arts and crafts and dress from me, etc.

She sleeps until at least noon most days. Half my day is done by then. She was wanting to go to Knoxville or Asheville last night, but she won't wake up until 12-1, then expects me to do a 1.5-2 hour drive each way.

We had a good time last year, but she needs to either shape up or I'm gone. Between her, the long work hours, a longer commute after May, etc., I'm just worn down to the nub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 AM

7,256 posts, read 4,143,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Between her, the long work hours, a longer commute after May, etc., I'm just worn down to the nub.

Look at the bright side...in about 35 years you can retire and take it easy.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:09 AM

7,664 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
We had a good time last year, but she needs to either shape up or I'm gone. Between her, the long work hours, a longer commute after May, etc., I'm just worn down to the nub.

Time to announce you're taking a break from the relationship, then do it. Nothing will change until you do.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Look at the bright side...in about 35 years you can retire and take it easy.
LOL, only 35 years.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:17 PM

1,277 posts, read 289,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What are your plans for 2019?

My plans are to win the lottery, buy a log home in the mountains on a thousand acres, have sex with Jennifer Lawrence, and get the brakes done on my Jeep.
So what are you going to do on Jan 2nd?

Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 PM

563 posts, read 266,604 times
Quote:
We had a fight yesterday.

I came over after work, then receive a work page as I'm walking in the door. I wasn't on-call this week and shouldn't even be getting them. Supposedly urgent and has to be handled immediately.

I'm trying to fumble through connecting work servers on my phone, and she says I'm "hateful." Well, I'm sure I wasn't pleasant, but after having gotten off work, then receiving a page, and having to deal with clumsily, no one would be happy.

She sits there with arms crossed looking like she wants to rip my head off. I try to calm her down and have a good day, but she just sits there mad. I leave. She calls me back wanting to come back over, but I didn't want to after as mad as she was. All we would be doing is fighting some more.

I'm just very frustrated overall. A relationship is supposed to be a two-way street, but this is just caregiving for me. I understand she doesn't have any money, but she was making me something for Christmas, started in the first of December, and couldn't even complete it by Christmas Day. Meanwhile, I've given her all sorts of presents. She got a brand new iPhone XR (although hers was free when I upgraded my phone), new sheets/comforter from my mom, a writing set from my aunt, a lap desk for her arts and crafts and dress from me, etc.

She sleeps until at least noon most days. Half my day is done by then. She was wanting to go to Knoxville or Asheville last night, but she won't wake up until 12-1, then expects me to do a 1.5-2 hour drive each way.

Life is too short to be miserable.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:36 PM

910 posts, read 465,223 times
"What are your plans for 2019? "

Not to make any plans!!!!

Old 01-01-2019, 04:22 PM

4,840 posts, read 4,956,944 times
Plans for 2019?

- Always put the shopping carts back
- Drink only great craft brews
- Take a nap every afternoon
- Listen to more music
- Ignore the news

Old 01-01-2019, 04:47 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Plans for 2019?

- Always put the shopping carts back
- Drink only great craft brews
- Take a nap every afternoon
- Listen to more music
- Ignore the news

I wish they had places where you could taste the different craft beers. I like beer, but not all of it. And I don't want to buy a 6-pack if I don't like it.

BTW, you have good plans!

Old 01-01-2019, 05:23 PM

4,840 posts, read 4,956,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I wish they had places where you could taste the different craft beers. I like beer, but not all of it. And I don't want to buy a 6-pack if I don't like it.
This is an opportunity for a liquor store to sell craft beers by the bottle.

It's so obvious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or