U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:33 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,375 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to solve a property line issue dating back to before 1939, with the local irrigation district (fed land) and then, put up my massive estate for sale. Then.... if everything goes as it should.... move to Prague, CZ, to hook up with a long lost love from about 30 yrs ago. No kidding. My only dilemma is how to ship 2 ancient dobermans to Prague w/o them dropping dead from fear being in a cargo hold in an aircraft for 24 hours. I vaguely wonder the cost of a private jet - if not too deadly $$ - imagine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 PM

23,775 posts, read 8,259,495 times
Change the date on some checks to 2019, otherwise the same as 2018, manage health and work to improve my joints.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:56 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,313,958 times
I will continue enjoying retirement with my husband. We will be buying a new Vehicle sometimes next year. Also we will have some landscaping done around our new pond. We generally travel on the spur of the moment, so no concrete plans as yet. We love having visitors and enjoy showing them this beautiful area. We already have two sets of visitors scheduled for January. We stay busy with several local organizations and of course our art projects. I will be stepping down from my volunteer administrative position with one group, leaving a little more time to actually enjoy just being a volunteer. Love that being retired means we don’t have to abide by a rigid schedule or plan.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:21 PM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Looking at a possible trip to Ireland in the fall. Daughter wants to hike around Dingle peninsula so I need to be in better shape with my new hip. I'll probably make a trip back home (St. Louis) in the late spring (by train?). House exterior woodwork needs painting. Get back to some quality fly fishing. I'll continue with my hobbies and hanging out with my old pub-crawl friends (We've given up on morning coffee).

Old 12-19-2018, 01:31 PM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
2018 was a mix of good and bad.

The good part is I found someone I really care for. The bad part is that I don't think things are going to be compatible for much longer. Four months after hip surgery, she is still just walking around the house. I'm still taking the wheelchair on virtually all trips. She's still not driving. She's not making an effort to either go back to school or take steps to get a job. It is a HUGE weight on my shoulders having to do everything and I cannot keep on going like this for much longer. I plan on sort of giving her an ultimatum going into 2019 - "either you need to take steps to .... or I'm leaving." We'll see.
Lordy -- my wife broke both hips the same year but she managed a trip to Italy (on a cane) at about five months. I had mine replaced in August. It takes time to get back but if she isn't noticeably better in another month there might be something else. I had a brief depression after hip surgery related to the pain meds that slowed me down then insomnia for a while -- brain chemistry gets messed up. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:51 PM

221 posts, read 116,076 times
Breathe.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:57 PM

4,840 posts, read 4,956,944 times
Stay above the grass.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,172,300 times
My plans are to somehow try to get the credit card debt I now have paid off. We had filed for Bankruptcy about two years ago, trouble was even with no debt, our SS income did not and does not totally cover the monthly bills, so started to supplement with credit, didn't want to but there it is. Now I have to get it paid back down again, but still in the same boat I was in. No savings, only SS,both husband and I are too ill to work at all.
So this year I plan to try to sell whatever I can to try to make ends meet, after all that is sold I am really up the creek.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 PM

21,857 posts, read 16,696,582 times
I plan to start 2019 off by becoming another year older. My birthday is in early January. Other than that, I plan to become a little wiser, a little more knowledgeable, and a little more tolerant.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:01 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Lordy -- my wife broke both hips the same year but she managed a trip to Italy (on a cane) at about five months. I had mine replaced in August. It takes time to get back but if she isn't noticeably better in another month there might be something else. I had a brief depression after hip surgery related to the pain meds that slowed me down then insomnia for a while -- brain chemistry gets messed up. Good luck.
She's just 24. She has other underlying medical problems, but the first hip replacement was in June. The second was in September. I didn't expect her to be running marathons, but I did expect more improvement than this by now. She's barely walking fifty feet without needing to sit down.

I'm tired today. I've worked a full day. I had to deal with a 45 minute traffic backup this morning with a nearly thirty mile one way commute. Because she's not driving, I have to rush over to get her at a friend's business before it closes at 6. Oh, and she doesn't feel like walking, so I have to go to her house, get the wheelchair, THEN we'll be ready to do something. I'm doing all the loading, paying for everything, etc. I leave the office at 5. It will be at least 6 before I get her and the wheelchair. I'll be doing well to be home by 9, then it's back after it again at 7.

I love her and enjoy doing things with her, but she needs to show some initiative to improve her health without waiting on me to do everything. It really ticks me off when I call at lunch and she's still asleep at 1 in the afternoon. She lost her SS card and driver's license weeks ago, and hasn't even started the process to get those replaced.

I'm exhausted and don't look well. I'm constantly on the go, eating a lot of fast food, etc. I lost some weight earlier this year, but then gained it all back plus some. I'm sitting too much/too sedentary. I can't do much for her if I'm falling to pieces.

I need a less stressful job (I worked 50 last week, two team members worked 85 hrs last week) and someone who can actually contribute and help me, rather than needing me to do everything. I need a change of scenery - new friends, new relationship, everything.

I haven't had a week long vacation since I started here in 2016. That's something else I plan to do this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or