Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:41 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times

Advertisements

Stay retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:05 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What are your plans for 2019?

My plans are to win the lottery, buy a log home in the mountains on a thousand acres, have sex with Jennifer Lawrence, and get the brakes done on my Jeep.
Come on man, be honest with yourself, there is NO WAY you're going to get the brakes done on your Jeep! 😂

Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Live through it to 2020...then repeat...

Old 12-19-2018, 11:17 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,643 times
Motorcycling with my daughter through Canada and Alaska this coming summer is my fun plan.

However...

I just tipped the scales at 396 in my physical this week. I figure I have about 20-25 years left of decent health, and then hit the inevitable significant health decline in my eighties. This year, I need to lose a hundred pounds for health and mobility (looking good on the beach is looonnnggg past a consideration) and increase my daily activity level so I have an active retirement, and not a a very limited future waiting for the inevitable... heck, I could just move to Florida if my only desire was to veg out in God's waiting room...

Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,354 times
All the things that I was supposed to do in 2018 and never got done?

Acutally I got quite a bit done in 2018 but not as much as hoped. Lost a good amount of weight and explored much of the southwest. And did a little decluttering and work on my house.

This spring will be trips to Zion, Arches, and Canyonlands National Parks as well as some nearby National Monuments. Then an early summer trip to Rocky Mountain National Park and the Colorado Springs area. Continue on my health improvement program and get serious about decluttering/fixing up home to put it on the market. I'd like to sell my house before the end of the year and move to Oregon.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Have about 7 camping trips in our 21' trailer planned between March-September (the reservation window is 9 months out, so Oct & Nov will have to wait until January). Probably will add a beach house rental in there somewhere over the summer.

Did some of my favorite big trips end of 2017/through 2018 (Hawaii, Chicago, Washington DC museums). Probably will plan through 2019 to go to London, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, maybe Prague and Budapest in spring 2020.

Have several house projects ahead, some of which MIGHT get done next year.

Mostly - work on projects, camp, go south to visit our son, work on my various craft projects, take my dog for walks, spend a lot of time with the spouse, play a lot of pickleball, go out and listen to music, play music with friends and generally be happy being retired.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-19-2018, 11:32 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
I'm gonna do a little dance, make a little love, and shake my bootie! (Shake my bootie!)

Also, 2019 is The Year of The Pig. So I see some BBQ in my future.....

Old 12-19-2018, 11:45 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Motorcycling with my daughter through Canada and Alaska this coming summer is my fun plan.

However...

I just tipped the scales at 396 in my physical this week. I figure I have about 20-25 years left of decent health, and then hit the inevitable significant health decline in my eighties. This year, I need to lose a hundred pounds for health and mobility (looking good on the beach is looonnnggg past a consideration) and increase my daily activity level so I have an active retirement, and not a a very limited future waiting for the inevitable... heck, I could just move to Florida if my only desire was to veg out in God's waiting room...
I was 300 pounds when i found out i was diabetic while in the hospital for pneumonia, and lost 30 pounds quickly once i had a diabetic med started. I think that was water weight as i drank a bottle of water every half hour and had a bottle bedside in case of midnight or 2 am thirst.

I lost another 45 pounds down to 225 over the following 7 months.

I stuck to my 5-7 carb allowance and 1800 calorie diet, though i strove for 1600.

I substituted oranges ( tangerins) and bananas for snacks. I ate a "free food" such as broccoli often with dinner. Cut out pasta quick meals. Cut out sugar and potato in any form ( a favorite of mine). Stuck to chocolate oatmeal for breakfast, only 1/2 a cup. Then a tangerine for mid morning snack. A 1/2 sandwich for lunch...no side unless i wanted veggies as a side. Then a banana for afternoon snack and small dinner. Nothing after dinner. No midnight snacks. Salad a lot too.

I had a 58" waist, needing a 60 really. Now down to 46". I wore 4&5XL shirts and pants, down to 2xl.

It CAN be done, but youve got to set your mind to it. And maie the changes necessary.

Im stuck here for a year, but ive laxed a little. Next year after the holidays ill get serious again.

I wont ever punish myself for being lax and enjoying the holiday food as long as i dont go overboard. 5 weeks isnt going to kill me.

Best of luck to you and other "loser hopefuls" in 2019!!!

Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
2018 was a mix of good and bad.

The good part is I found someone I really care for. The bad part is that I don't think things are going to be compatible for much longer. Four months after hip surgery, she is still just walking around the house. I'm still taking the wheelchair on virtually all trips. She's still not driving. She's not making an effort to either go back to school or take steps to get a job. It is a HUGE weight on my shoulders having to do everything and I cannot keep on going like this for much longer. I plan on sort of giving her an ultimatum going into 2019 - "either you need to take steps to .... or I'm leaving." We'll see.

I want to move. I desperately need change. My job is getting more stressful, and I don't see any improvement on the horizon. I'm sick to death of living in the Tri-Cities, even a move to Knoxville or "over the mountain" to Asheville would do me wonders. Even though it's my hometown, I was gone for a number of years, and most of the friends I had before I moved have themselves moved or have kids and busy lives, so it's hard to get together. There are days I feel like a prisoner, between not liking the area, few friends, having to do stuff for my girlfriend, and my job/commute. It feels like someone or something else is penciling my schedule in for me without my consent. 2019 needs to be the year I take my life back.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:24 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Come on man, be honest with yourself, there is NO WAY you're going to get the brakes done on your Jeep! 😂

Thanks for crushing my dream...geeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement