Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:47 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Time to announce you're taking a break from the relationship, then do it. Nothing will change until you do.
Yep. I remember walking through my front door after a long day at work, and having a plate explode on the wall next to my head. I announced I was taking a break from my marriage.

Six years later, I found my second wife, and have been married happily 35 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:29 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Yep. I remember walking through my front door after a long day at work, and having a plate explode on the wall next to my head. I announced I was taking a break from my marriage.

Six years later, I found my second wife, and have been married happily 35 years.
I have never had a problem with plates. Now frying pans are another story. I always wear a helmet around the house

Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This is an opportunity for a liquor store to sell craft beers by the bottle.

It's so obvious!
They sell those at our grocery store. You can mix and match a six pack.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Do yourself a favor SCand get out of that relationship. Go find yourself

Don’t be almost 60 years old and still in this situation

I spend about an hour a day listening to a long time friend go on and on about her boyfriend. We were all high school classmates. The drama is incredible. I don’t understand it

But I have time to listen and hope she will see the light.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Have to keep positive about 2019 goals

Both husband and I started 3 days before NYD so for once, got a head start (LOL). Maybe that will make the difference this time.

Day 8 - Already feeling some positive effects but wow, do I need to do this. Cannot even do a sit up without help and I did learn how to plank. I asked the trainer - does he ever see people in such bad shape and in 6 months, will I be able to do this? (He said yes). That would be exciting.

Both husband and I are on the same page which is encouraging.

He is a CPA. The new tax law will take effect. Will he lose clients over this? Not sure.

He just got an inquiry from a firm in NJ that is buying CPA firms. This one claims to buy them for 3 times the gross (which is way over what is expected). Usually, you are lucky to get 1 time gross. But 3 times gross would definitely make us stop and think; we could relocate somewhere else and start again if he wanted to just have some income coming in. But, that's on the table obviously.

Our lease is up April 2019 (end of the month). He has been here 26 years. Brick and mortar locations are considered 1 of the 4 pieces you need when you sell. Our space would be considered Class A.
Our rent is high but it's centrally located and has many pluses - and we could walk to our home which is 2 miles away.

We've looked at other places - the big buildings shut the air off at 7 PM and don't run it on weekends.
Plus, those buildings are often harder to get into for clients (underground parking, crime potential, etc).
We have no elevators where we are. Lots of parking.

Have a lot to think about in 2019.

But, then, I have a business and I rent from him. Neither one of us can really work out of our home as we have clients visiting us all the time. (Zoning laws do not allow this in our neighborhood).

We are anywhere from 5-8 years from retirement and I'm sure he will still do some tax work - maybe a challenge here or there or some easy stuff that comes his way. But, I know the decisions we make this year will be important. (I feel it).

We also need to renovate our home. Whether we're there for 25 years or 5 years more, it will have to be done anyway.

Lots to think about for sure.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:00 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
He is a CPA. The new tax law will take effect. Will he lose clients over this? Not sure.

He just got an inquiry from a firm in NJ that is buying CPA firms. This one claims to buy them for 3 times the gross (which is way over what is expected). Usually, you are lucky to get 1 time gross. But 3 times gross would definitely make us stop and think; we could relocate somewhere else and start again if he wanted to just have some income coming in. But, that's on the table obviously.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Why would someone pay gross x 3 when gross x 1 is the norm?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Lots of traveling for 2019. I am going to Africa in May. DW and I are going to Oregon and Washington in August. Then we are going to Spain in October. Other than that, surfing, yard work and my new hobby which is carving tiki totem poles.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Exploring my new state. Camping. Hopefully traveling to new states and exploring them. It all depends on if I decide to trade in my wonderful car, Nissan Cube, which has helped me travel this far. From Minnesota to Arizona. I would want something bigger if 'I'm going to boondock. Maybe get a van.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Do yourself a favor SCand get out of that relationship. Go find yourself

Don’t be almost 60 years old and still in this situation

I spend about an hour a day listening to a long time friend go on and on about her boyfriend. We were all high school classmates. The drama is incredible. I don’t understand it

But I have time to listen and hope she will see the light.

You are truly a good friend and she is fortunate to have you. Sometimes we do need to vent for a while before that light comes on in our heads that we need to move on.
Years ago I knew a woman who was non-stop about her broken relationship. Never mind he was alcoholic, never mind he gave her a permanent STD. She did finally break away, found another guy who was much better off and moved to another state with him, leaving a good job before her FRA. But once messaged me for info on the first dude and I did not respond to it. She did not tell the second man about the STD; I'm pretty sure he knows about it now.
Sometimes people are just nuts and even the so-called intelligent college educated people cannot see the forest for the trees.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Agreed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Why would someone pay gross x 3 when gross x 1 is the norm?
I know, right? I agree. I saw the proposal and I checked them out. They are in the process of making acquisitions - just acquired a firm 2 hours north of us. Have several locations in NY, NJ, PA, one in FL.

My client has a client who has been looking to sell for a year or so. Got a huge offer in the millions - life changing; now, he's getting cold feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement