U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 AM

8,833 posts, read 7,728,859 times

Advertisements

I retired at 63. I had everything goung good except energy and enthusiasm. Thats when I knew it was time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 09:24 AM

245 posts, read 79,464 times
The top of the game for me was when I financially reached a point where I could say good bye and GOOD RIDDANCE to work!!!

There was no other "top" in my working life. Setting myself up for an early retirement was the only thing that I really cared about.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:50 AM

11,285 posts, read 8,455,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I retired at 63. I had everything goung good except energy and enthusiasm. Thats when I knew it was time.
I expect that will be about it for me too.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:41 PM

4,295 posts, read 7,160,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Spent 37 years in an industry and became some what of an expert. Guest speaker at numerous conferences and association meetings. Served as an expert witness and quoted in numerous periodicals. My replacement was a nice fellow that spent 2 days with me. I presented my forecast and a strategy going forward. He trashed it the day I left, thought he knew a better way. He didn't and lasted 18 months. Company asked me to consult, gave them a price....too much money. Next guy lasted 6 months, lost them millions.

Doing well with my consulting business helping competitors of my ex employer. They went cheap...the sweetness of low price is over shadowed by the bitterness of poor quality.
Ha! Great story. Nobody remembers "penny wise, pound foolist!" I guess.

I worked in a school for a couple of years, with troubled youth. There were three counselors but they were so bogged down in scheduling that they had no time for counseling other than swapping classes around. Some system. So I was the go-to guy there for errant youth.

One of my co-workers wanted to retire. She'd been there since the earth cooled. EVERYONE in schools and in town and in the business knew her and respected her. She was worried about making enough money in retirement, she had an elder mother to care for.

I said, become a consultant. You'll make more, work less, enjoy it more, stress less. She did, it did, she was a very happy retiree and part-time consultant.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:56 PM

95 posts, read 26,729 times
Was top in experience. Was sliding in terms of enthusiasm, creativity and willingness to put in the long hours. However, experience sure makes up for a lot especially when dealing with those who don't have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or