Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 AM

10,473 posts, read 7,610,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've never had a game to be on top of.

That's me. I never took work seriously enough to think about such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 09:42 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,581,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've never had a game to be on top of.
Scrabble? Monopoly?

Me, neither. I was making the most $$ I ever had there, but that translated into more unemployment the boss had to pay (seasonal job) so once they realized that....

Old 12-20-2018, 08:19 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,939,309 times
"How about you, did you leave the workplace at the top of your game, or were you slipping?"
oh yes, i was slipping....but still good enough to get by and be better than most of the rest.

"If you were not on top of your game in the years just before you retired, why did you hold on?"
i did not recognize it at first. it took ~2 years until it became evident to everyone including my wife.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, Jim you're scary me. I saw you post on the plans for 2019 thread.
This is a typical mistake that ESL students make. You don't say, You're scary me. You say, You're scaring me.

Scary is an adjective.

When you say you're scary me, it's like you're saying, You're beautiful me. Or, You're happy me. Or, You're green me.

If you can't see how the above makes You're scary me incorrect, then you need to review.

I'm now an ESL tutor, so I recognized the mistake immediately.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,372,847 times
I think the OP should qualify the difference between being "at the top of one's game" and being hirable.

I am still at the top of my game as far as my mental capability, knowledge of the business and laws, etc. But, that doesn't make me the most desirable candidate, as most employers would be looking for someone young, regardless of whether or not they were as knowledgeable, etc., as me.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,197,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is a typical mistake that ESL students make. You don't say, You're scary me. You say, You're scaring me.

Scary is an adjective.

When you say you're scary me, it's like you're saying, You're beautiful me. Or, You're happy me. Or, You're green me.

If you can't see how the above makes You're scary me incorrect, then you need to review.

I'm now an ESL tutor, so I recognized the mistake immediately.
While this is interesting, having read any number of Eliza's posts, I think "the mistake" is likely the result of a typographical/autocorrect issue or a quick post/didn't proof issue.

Last edited by CatzPaw; 12-20-2018 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 10:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,251,999 times
I'm not reading past the 1st page. Depressing.
I, being female, was in my prime probably in my 30's. But I'm at thetop of my game now. I have at least 4yrs until retirement. I love my job.Been here since August.
They interviewed 30 applicants and picked me. In 4 months the commander of the base presented me with a personal coin (not a command coin) as recognition. All this to back up my being on top of my game. I'm good cuzI love it - I love it cuz I'm good.I make my organization look good and I make my customers happy. Life is good and I am blessed.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,582,456 times
I was at the top of my game until I acquired shingles. Started in my left eye (no sight damage luckily) and across my head. During the illness it hit me harder than normal. The pain was controlled quite well by gabapentin, but I was "out of it" for a while.

When I got better it quickly became apparent that something not related to shingles had happened. I was (still am to a lesser extent) a math wiz. after the bout with shingles I could not add 19 and 42 in my head. My wife thinks I may have had a few TIAs. It has come back over the last 9 years, but it's still not like it was. There were other problems with memory and "connecting the dots" as well.

At the time I was a self-employed computer consultant. My wife had to sit me down and have the "talk" with me three times before I finally admitted I had to retire. At some point it was likely that I would screw up a computer system at one of the businesses I serviced.

So right at the end I wasn't. And I wasn't happy about it. I truly loved the work i did.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:51 PM

16,063 posts, read 10,644,178 times
I guess so...I had a reputation of non-smelling poop in my work and production (expressed differently). That word came back to me on several occasions from different sources. I worked with government agencies and the legislature. I retired early at 52 rather than cook the data for an incompetent boss who wanted fake numbers to justify bad planning and policy. I gained over $58 million in grants for that department before I left. I worked as a part-time city planner in retirement after that which was enjoyable but never much of a challenge. I volunteered as a historical researcher at the state archives for a challenge. My schedule was my own by then.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:11 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,133,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Retired View Post
....How about you, did you leave the workplace at the top of your game, or were you slipping? If you were not on top of your game in the years just before you retired, why did you hold on?
I was waiting for the game to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement