U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 3,484 times

Advertisements

The last 40 years of work has been a struggle. Long commutes, terrible bosses and coworkers, dysfunctional employers, boring work and long periods of unemployment due to terminations. What a ride it has been. My only success was a twenty-year job with a government agency that will pay me a pension with no impact on my Social Security.

Just turned 62 years old and retired this month. I will be getting my first pension and Social Security checks, via direct deposit, next month. Combined these checks will give me enough money to live a good upper-middle-class lifestyle without having to work. It seems like a dream.

I have had a number of nightmares that my pension and Social Security checks were canceled. The people in charge changed their mind and they want me to suffer in the office for another ten years. I wake up in a cold sweat after having a loud argument with the people in charge of my pension and Social Security after it is canceled. Then I can't go back to sleep.

Do they really pay people who turn 62 a pension and Social Security? Or is it all a dream?

Last edited by Just Retired; 12-19-2018 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,096,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Retired View Post
The last 40 years of work has been a struggle. Long commutes, terrible bosses and coworkers, dysfunctional employers, boring work and long periods of unemployment due to terminations. What a ride it has been.

Just turned 62 years old and retired this month. I will be getting my first pension and Social Security checks, via direct deposit, next month. Combined these checks will give me enough money to live a good upper-middle-class lifestyle without having to work. It seems like a dream.

I have had a number of nightmares that my pension and Social Security checks were canceled. The people in charge changed their mind and they want me to suffer in the office for another ten years. I wake up in a cold sweat after having a loud argument with the people in charge of my pension and Social Security after it is canceled. Then I can't go back to sleep.

Do they really pay people who turn 62 a pension and Social Security? Or is it all a dream?

Its more like a dream in that few employers provide a pension more provide a 401k with some sort of match over ones career. If you have health insurance available in retirement too you hit the trifecta which is a dream for most.

Congratulations on surviving it all. Work is a four letter word for a reason lol

Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 AM

65 posts, read 21,624 times
Congrats! It can feel unreal. I was able to retire at 62 with full pension (30 years at a gvt job) and social security. Retired nearly two years and yes my retirement "income" is more than my take home pay. As a bonus, employer offered a health care retirement savings plan and I have enough in that account to pay COBRA until 65. ENJOY and find fun and other fulfilling things to do.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:31 AM

1,627 posts, read 746,845 times
No. "They" don't pay most people a pension.

Just how many times have you retired now?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:37 AM

8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
No. "They" don't pay most people a pension.

Just how many times have you retired now?
You'd think that after all this time and after all these SNs, he'd start to do a better job of hiding his identity better. But no, he creates a new SN, and then immediately starts creating new threads in separate fora on the same topics and using the same writing style as always. So far, it's been 3 threads in his first 22 minutes as a member this morning. I guess it will be a race to see if he gets to 10+ threads before the obligatory "Not A Member" message shows up under his SN once again.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:40 AM

2,904 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Retired View Post
The last 40 years of work has been a struggle. ....
I also retired at 62 & had a permanent grin on my face for over a year in disbelief at not having to go to work anymore. It began on Jan 1 too so it was magnified by watching people struggle to go to work during cold wintry days as I sat & enjoyed another cup of coffee inside & warm.

I got a severance pkg & not a pension & have put off taking SS for a few years for the added monthly revenue, have you considered this? (Innumerable threads here discussing that.)

ETA: Huh? Bogus thread here?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 706,293 times
Congratulations! I joined the "idle rich" at age 61. Lived off investment income, a $900/month pension and DH's SS, then filed for my second $900/month pension a couple of years later (different employer, neither with COLA). Now collecting those two plus DH's SS as Survivor benefits, waiting till age 70 to maximize my own.

In some ways, I feel more relaxed about finances- no longer saving for retirement, a few years of good investment results under my belt (OK, 2018 will be an exception), and I know what it costs to live post-retirement. A large % of my spend is purely discretionary (travel and charity), so there's wiggle room if things get bad.

It's a gift to be healthy, financially solvent and not have to go to work every day. I hope you find good ways to use it!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 3,484 times
Considering 85% of my income in retirement comes from institutions I have no control over (Pension and Social Security) maybe I should not be so comfortable. They could decide not to pay me and I would be able to do nothing about it.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:26 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You'd think that after all this time and after all these SNs, he'd start to do a better job of hiding his identity better. But no, he creates a new SN, and then immediately starts creating new threads in separate fora on the same topics and using the same writing style as always. So far, it's been 3 threads in his first 22 minutes as a member this morning. I guess it will be a race to see if he gets to 10+ threads before the obligatory "Not A Member" message shows up under his SN once again.
I have wondered where all these NEW people were coming from all of a sudden, seems to be many first timers with weird posts.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:27 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
By golly after spending my entire life paying into a retirement system and social security I too am amazed I get money now for not working.

Oh wait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or