U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 06:23 AM

127 posts, read 43,599 times

Advertisements

We have been married 33 years and some of the wedding gifts are still in their original boxes unused. We have regifted some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 02:57 PM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times
I have a few things from my long ago wedding shower. A decorative glass cake plate, a Corning Ware pie pan, a milk glass sauce dish, a glass relish dish, a couple of pieces of decorative glass, and some hors d’oevre forks and tiny spreaders.

Its been 48 years for us.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:24 PM

7,287 posts, read 15,339,626 times
I have been married 39 years - completely skipped the wedding shower and specified "no gifts" on the invite for the party for the following weekend. Had no wish for stuff then (and absolutely nowhere to put it, as we were college grad students living in a studio apt) or now. My MIL tried to give me her good silver about 15 years ago and I had no interest in it, nor her fussy china (this was after her daughter and neice also turned it down).

I have some of my mother's (and grandmother's) cast iron pieces and Le Crueset, a teaset that my mother loved (it is slightly mismatched).
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-21-2018, 05:35 PM

575 posts, read 636,816 times
We've been married almost 40 years. We were a couple of poor hippies right out of college and our wedding was small, simple and very homemade. Not too much left from that time, but our absolute fave is an ancient Braun coffee grinder that's a bit on the noisy side but still works like a charm....

It's a warm reminder of simpler times and the wonderful couple who gave it to us. Try and find an appliance that would last half that long today.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:36 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,832,596 times
We have been married 44.5 years and I do still have my china and a couple glass serving dishes. The china is currently packed up and will be given to our DD when she gets somewhere to put it. She specifically requested that she wanted it.

Had a lot of silverplate serving pcs that got given away and of course the sheets, towels, vacuum, and money are all gone!

Old 12-21-2018, 09:12 PM

1,815 posts, read 2,241,646 times
I have a toaster my maid of honor gave me in 1989. I use it every day and am amazed it’s still working

Old 12-22-2018, 07:58 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What do I still have from our wedding? Well, I have my DH>>>>
You beat me to it, sort of.

I was going to say 18 years later, i still have the best wedding present i got: my other half (OH)!

Oh, sure, we have had ups and down, and nearly ended it 3 years ago ( very long story, if you havent read the "cliff notes" in other threads), but we are still sticking it out.

I always refer to my other half as "my OH", as neither of us is better than the other, so there is no "better half ". My OH refers to me as "my OH " too.

We got few presents as we got married in a very small ceremony, so we didnt expect any. Plus, i had a houseful of schtuff ( my word for "$h*t" and "stuff"), and my OH had a houseful of schtuff, so we didnt really need more schtuff.

Years ago, probably 18 years after my parents got married, my mother, who was handicapped, said " lets go look in the cedar chest ".. there were all manner and color of beautiful towels, never used and mother said " we can use these, no sense in letting them sit in here when we need new towels. " so they got used. She could not even remember who gave them to them.
That struck my 17 year old self, and so i look at any present differently now. That is, that years layer you might not remember who gave you what....

Have a great stroll down amnesia lane...

Old 12-22-2018, 09:43 AM

1,185 posts, read 661,897 times
1972. I still have the crystal stemware, china, and sterling flatware which I still use. I also use the Pyrex, Corningware, Revere Ware pots and pans, and gold handheld mixer. Plus the fondue pot! We get that out every once in a while. My Betty Crocker cookbook from a wedding shower is still valuable for certain recipes.

I could give up the pewter pieces now - that was a "thing" in the early 70s but I still use some vases. Also the silverplate trays and candy dishes are a pain to polish and I really seldom use them. I tend to like older pieces including mahogany candlesticks which were a wedding gift to my grandparents in 1916.

We have a store nearby with older pieces like these and my adult kids love to point out all the possessions I have when we poke around. Some Pyrex and the Vera tablecloths/napkins, for example, are worth some money now (but DH is priceless!). The Boomers are downsizing and it is kind of fun to see all the familiar things from days gone by.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:31 PM

30,064 posts, read 47,304,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
In September I celebrated my 50th wedding anniversary. I was wondering how many of you who have been married a long time still have any of your wedding presents ?
I still have ONE small fry pan and One pillow case from a set we got. Everything else has vanished over the years and the MANY moves we made.

How about you?
I have the original ironing board we got. As. A wedding present from one of my husband's boyhood friends
It has rusted on top from all the water sprayed to iron clothes and I don't use it anymore because have a built in one in utility room--but I keep it...
We had our original refrigerator from our first house--bought it about a year into the marriage--and kept it for over 15 yrs...
Have a cooking pot from the cooking set and the Corning wear set, have a potato masher---think one of us already had that pre-marriage--

the pottery dishes (Golden Hacienda I think) we put on our wish list--- a full set for 8 with a tea pot and salt/pepper shakers, serving dishes, and two butter dishes...
Mainly because we kept it for our "good dishes" and didn't use it
My daughter would love to have it and I might pack it up next Christmas and gift it to her except she has no place to store it...
Have some embroidered table linens an older woman in my church did for us we never used--but they are in the back closet in good shape...

We married in 72--so not quite 50 yrs

Plus I also have my Betty Crocker cookbook

Old 12-22-2018, 05:33 PM

1,483 posts, read 413,312 times
We’ve been using our Dansk wedding dishes everyday for 45 years. Only broken a couple of cereal bowls in the interim. They are dated or retro depending on your point of view! But I have never seen the same pattern at a garage sale or a Goodwill no matter how hard I look..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement