U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 06:34 PM

900 posts, read 1,524,163 times

Advertisements

For my wedding 37 years ago my two brothers and my sister chipped in and bought us a 19" RCA color TV with a remote the size of a shoe. Cost $500, a nice gift! Just shipped it to the recycler, all 70 pounds of it. Replaced it with a 55" flat screen weighing 20 pounds. Paid $399. Inflation, I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 PM

13,175 posts, read 20,816,002 times
I love this thread! It made me look around to see how many wedding gifts we still have, after 37 years, and it's quite a few. I have a lot of Waterford crystal, most of which has never been used. I have two decanters, also, never used. Some other crystal stemware that was used enough that I no longer have service for 8, and several smaller pieces. A full sterling flatware service for 12, from my husband's grandmother, maybe used once. And I have three sons, no daughters, so one day I'll have to donate it all. The most appreciated gift is still used daily, and that is a set of knives. They've been sharpened many times, and we did replace a couple of them, but the bulk of the set has held up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
For my wedding 37 years ago my two brothers and my sister chipped in and bought us a 19" RCA color TV with a remote the size of a shoe. Cost $500, a nice gift! Just shipped it to the recycler, all 70 pounds of it. Replaced it with a 55" flat screen weighing 20 pounds. Paid $399. Inflation, I don't think so.
My siblings got us the same gift!

Old 12-22-2018, 09:12 PM

8,997 posts, read 2,782,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
In September I celebrated my 50th wedding anniversary. I was wondering how many of you who have been married a long time still have any of your wedding presents ?
I still have ONE small fry pan and One pillow case from a set we got. Everything else has vanished over the years and the MANY moves we made.

How about you?
Yes, a set of steak knives from a dear soul 42 years ago.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:01 AM

2,464 posts, read 2,106,982 times
Married 39 years ago and I would say we probably have MOST. Definitely still have the fancy china (service for 12. some pieces have broken but not too many actually). Over the years have gotten rid of the corningware which had become grossly discolored (but was probably good for at least 20 to 30 years!). I guess any appliances and or gadgets have not lasted (othere than an electric handmixer which is still going strong and I used yesterday.
As we recently downsized, a fair amount was decluttered (freecycled mostly. a few items were ebayed.
Which reminds me, stil somehow have a few lenox pieces that I need to list on e-bay.
But to answer the question, I would say QUITE A LOT of our wedding presents are still with us.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:19 PM

12,746 posts, read 14,101,964 times
Quote:
In September I celebrated my 50th wedding anniversary. I was wondering how many of you who have been married a long time still have any of your wedding presents ?
I still have ONE small fry pan and One pillow case from a set we got. Everything else has vanished over the years and the MANY moves we made.

How about you?
No, but I still have the first metal spoon and fork that I used as wee thing, so they would be almost eighty years old.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:27 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,820,966 times
Soon to be 50 yrs, back then gifts were for the most part monetary, we got household gifts at our
Wedding Shower, which was an event at a hall, catered with dancing and music, those gifts were used through the years then donated to Good Will shops, where they would sell them for charity.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:27 PM

243 posts, read 120,463 times
We had a really small wedding and only a family shower.

I registered for all the stuff (china, flatware, crystal) at the local jewelry store in the small town my ex was from. Almost all of our presents were from family, and they universally opted for the flatware.

It's Oneida Dover, and it was expensive then and expensive now. But I added to it over the years, particularly when I was working retail, and I have 16 place settings. We don't need that many for entertaining, but that means we run the dishwasher when we want to. We have a similar number of plates in our Corelle, but that came years later.

Anyway, it was one of the few things I took in the divorce. My ex was bad about using the knives as improvised screwdrivers.

No, no, no!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,446,577 times
Absolutely!!!! I was married in 73, and still use a set of pottery type dishes, corning ware, etc, etc. I LOVED all my wedding presents. My husband from way back then is long dead. Second marriage - I eloped, thus no presents. He is dead too. But at least I still have all the presents. I love my stuff - it reminds me of various times in my life.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:39 AM

982 posts, read 607,771 times
Quote:

How about you?
When my late husband and I got married in 1986 his parents in addition to a money gift gave us a set of Pfaltzgraff dishes. The pattern is Windsong which was discontinued around 1992, and knowing they would be difficult to replace they have remained displayed as decoration pieces in my hutch for now 32 years. And being a very sentimental person I cherish these dishes as much today as I did when we received them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement