U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:10 AM

6,325 posts, read 3,583,841 times

Advertisements

I no longer give a red cent except to a couple of nearby rehab centers whose work I am familiar with.

Instead I go out there and do my charitable acts up close and personal. I love it. That way I get to see the thankfulness on the person's face (or not) LOL.

It's a gift that gives both ways. They feel good, hopefully. I feel good. And I don't have to feel like some cog in the machine wondering if my work is worth anything.

And really it doesn't matter whether my effort was appreciated or not because I have fulfilled my need to try to make a difference.

Typical introvert, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 10:12 AM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did the same. Also worked in the public sector and they pushed for United Way. But, since I lived in one state and worked in another, the United Way donations were not going to any of my local charities. I stopped doing that years before I retired.

There were three issues that kept me from donating to the United Way.

First, I did not appreciate the amount of coercion that some employers placed on employees. At one time, the DW was a department store manager making about minimum wage and was told that she should contribute no less than 5% to the UW. Of course, she declned.

Second, some very worthy charities were excluded from UW because the leadership did not have the expertise to fill out all of the forms required to be considered. With all of the corporate support the UW has, couldn't they lend a volunteer to the Boys' Club to help them.

Third, in at least one case, there were charities that were given funds that were NOT on their advertised list.

In Lieu of using UW, I made contributions to some of the charities they were supporting.

-------------------------

I contribute to churches but NOT for church building campaigns.

I contribute to human service campaigns as long as they are not lobbying or getting involved in politics.

I prefer local charities.

I give to schools and organizations supporting schools. I also give to tuition support organizations that promote school choice.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:15 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,708,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I see a couple of different questions.

No I do not feel guilty when I can only write a small check. I volunteered with my local animal rescue one year and I saw first hand how every little dollar helps.

Next, I've also spent time with the LLS (leukemia and lymphoma) in Philadelphia, again saw first hand how much work the regional director put in. When they have their "light the night" events she was pulling 14 hour days for months. She deserved every nickel. for some reason people think that because the organization is not for profit that it some how runs on pixie dust and fairies. Generally, they are businesses very similar to a for profit business.

Gift giving imo whether it's a Christmas gift, wedding gift, donation to a religious organization, donation to a cause you support is to be from the heart but using your head.
If you can only give 3 bucks, they will appreciate it.
I don't care how many hours, days, or nights she was putting in. People in those positions do not deserve $340,000, or $240,000, or even $140,000 per year.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:19 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,708,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There were three issues that kept me from donating to the United Way.

First, I did not appreciate the amount of coercion that some employers placed on employees. At one time, the DW was a department store manager making about minimum wage and was told that she should contribute no less than 5% to the UW. Of course, she declned.

Second, some very worthy charities were excluded from UW because the leadership did not have the expertise to fill out all of the forms required to be considered. With all of the corporate support the UW has, couldn't they lend a volunteer to the Boys' Club to help them.

Third, in at least one case, there were charities that were given funds that were NOT on their advertised list.

In Lieu of using UW, I made contributions to some of the charities they were supporting.

-------------------------

I contribute to churches but NOT for church building campaigns.

I contribute to human service campaigns as long as they are not lobbying or getting involved in politics.

I prefer local charities.

I give to schools and organizations supporting schools. I also give to tuition support organizations that promote school choice.
I'm with you all the way on the amount of coercion put upon employees at all levels to donate a certain amount to the United Way. It is no longer charity or voluntary when they force you to donate x number of dollars.

Churches and human services campaigns are great, but the problem is that too many of them are involved in politics today.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:31 PM

827 posts, read 216,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I don't care how many hours, days, or nights she was putting in. People in those positions do not deserve $340,000, or $240,000, or even $140,000 per year.
Agree --

Compensation is not based on effort/hours but based on job requirements. Many executives in not-for-profit want salaries/perks/travel comparable to their private sector counter parts but the job requirements are not the same. There is little in the way of accountability -- no corporate quarterly reports, no analyst expectations, shareholder demands, regulatory compliance. THe business of these charities is fairly one dimensional -- fundraising and awarding money.

Last edited by Maddie104; 12-22-2018 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 02:08 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,073,957 times
I think I give about 20-25% of my income to charities. I sponsor 3 kids at an orphanage in Africa. I like that organization because they actively try to reunite the kids with their birth families whenever possible. I also have a fixed monthly amount going to Doctors without Borders.

Others I give to several times a year. I keep a list in my desk drawer so I can see when I last gave. Also, there are about 10 charities on the list, I don't have to keep looking them up on Charity Navigator to see if I want to give. If they are on the list, they have been vetted by me.

I am on the begging letter mailing list. BOY am I on the list. But I open my mail at the PO and unwanted mail goes straight into THEIR recycle bin. On the plus side, I have enough address labels to last the rest of my life.

I do look at the salaries of the executives in a charity. I know they work hard, but if you are looking to make a lot of money from a job, you should be in the private sector IMO. If you work for a charity, I would hope it is because you believe in what they are trying to accomplish.

And I volunteer, but I get so much out of it, I feel like I should be paying them. It saved my life after my husband passed away.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:40 PM

30,691 posts, read 49,476,475 times
If you do not have any other guideline to follow, I think that giving roughly 10% of your income is appropriate. I get heartburn when I see charities wasting money.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:25 PM

3,421 posts, read 3,973,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Let me guess- the United Way? I was SO glad that after I retired I didn't have to pretend to care about the United Way. The domestic violence shelter to which I donate is a United Way participant so I know there are good organizations within the UW, but the UW rakes off a percent and, from what I've read, if you specify that 100% of your UW payroll deduction should go to Organization X, that just means that less of everyone else's goes to Organization X since UW determines the allocations.

United Way apparently doesn't know I exist since I never hear from them. I like it that way.
Back in my early career days, the bank I worked for pressured auto donations to UW, but we could choose where our donations went. I chose Abused and Neglected Children, and I DID receive notification (thank you letter?) that my donation was greatly appreciated. But, when it came out that their CEO got an obscene amount of compensation/perks/bonuses and everyone was in an uproar nationally, I vowed I would never dontate to UW again. And I haven't.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:51 PM

3,589 posts, read 1,388,880 times
agree with Lodestar:
"Instead I go out there and do my charitable acts up close and personal."

there are people within a 200-yard-circle of our home who could use a little extra....
and they are not addicts nor crazy nor handicapped. essentially, my money will not
help those 3 enough to make much of a difference, however "showing up" might
just be enough to make a little difference for those who are on the edge.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:01 PM

600 posts, read 182,570 times
I primarily support an Animal Rescue organization (BestFriends.org), and also some local stuff when it comes up. Unlike a previous poster, I do NOT give directly to panhandlers, there are too many folks on street corners who have chosen that field for a "career", and I believe it IS my business what will happen with any monies I provide; I have no desire to support Johnny Walker or Phillip Reynolds.

Now that I'm retired and on a "fixed income", I'm tracking my expenditures and expect to have some residual left at the end of each year (ten to twenty percent, I live fairly modestly). Half of that residual will go to charity, and the other half to a "rainy day fund", because "charity begins at home", it's my responsibility to make sure I don't need to live off charity myself. If and when I croak, that rainy day fund residual will go to a charitable organization. Since I have more free time now, I plan to volunteer with a local organization (animal rescue, Wounded Warriors, etc.) in the near future, I want to see the good I'm doing up close and personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement