U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:34 AM

796 posts, read 776,559 times

Advertisements

You need to check to see if GoodRx is considered "creditable" coverage. I don't think it is. The problem is if you ever want to go back to Part D coverage you will then have to pay a penalty fee added on to your regular monthly cost.

If someone drops Part D coverage you have the opportunity to rejoin within 63 days and not have to pay a penalty. I don't know how long ago you made the switch. There is nothing wrong with using GoodRx in addition to having Part D because there are times it could save you money. Perhaps the best thing to do in your case is to find the cheapest Part D available in your area (I just changed mine to Aetna and pay $17.20/month) and then use GoodRx along with it.

Last edited by dj10; 12-22-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 12:31 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
We would not be using coupons, we'd be paying for membership and we would get a card to use at the pharmacy. I've already spoken to our Pharmacy and they accept GoodRX. My biggest question is why would we need to pay $1440.00 a year for our Medicare part D's Plus pay the Co-pays for our medications with if we can use GoodRX?

The cost for our membership for the both of us would be 9.99 per month and the cost of medications would be about 30.00 a month with GoodRx.
Having checked their website and from what I know about the company they do not SELL plans Most Dr. offices I have been too have the Cards there for the taking, and you can go online and get the coupons either printed or on your phone.
Kroger has a plan that covers about 100 prescription drugs and is $39 per person per year or $79 for up to six members including pets. The cost of prescriptions is then $6.

Who did you talk to about this $9.99 plan?

Old 12-22-2018, 02:09 PM

563 posts, read 266,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Having checked their website and from what I know about the company they do not SELL plans Most Dr. offices I have been too have the Cards there for the taking, and you can go online and get the coupons either printed or on your phone.
Kroger has a plan that covers about 100 prescription drugs and is $39 per person per year or $79 for up to six members including pets. The cost of prescriptions is then $6.

Who did you talk to about this $9.99 plan?

https://gold.goodrx.com/

Old 12-22-2018, 02:13 PM

3,850 posts, read 9,440,143 times
From that link:

GoodRx Gold is not insurance, cannot be combined with federal or state-funded programs like Medicare or Medicaid and does not meet creditable coverage requirements under state law.

So, the others are right, don't cancel your Part D unless you do so knowing you will be penalized if you need it in the future.

DH has Silverscript - see if it's available in your area. He pays about $24 a month with no deductible.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:44 PM

1,641 posts, read 563,626 times
Thankfully, I rarely need to get a prescription but when I do I find that no doctors will give a paper script anymore. They all insist on doing it electronically instead, which means you have to know WHICH pharmacy to tell them to e-send it to.

I always explain that with my bare-bones Part D I need to first find out via GoodRx which pharmacy I want to fill the prescription at, of the half dozen chains in my area. (I do not own a smartphone so it's not like I can check it right there while sitting on the exam table, LOL) So we usually compromise with me asking them to write the exact name of the prescription on the back of a business card and then I will call their office to tell them which pharmacy to e-send the script to. They are always annoyed at me insisting on this, and I am always annoyed that they can't just write out on paper like before and let me bring it to whatever pharmacy I want.

"Progress ain't always", LOL

ETA: The last time I had that conversation, the doctor insisted on sending it to a pharmacy while I was still in the office and that I "could have it transferred to a different pharmacy" if somewhere else turned out to be cheaper. Well of course that didn't work: CVS said they could not get the original script from Rite Aid (where the MD sent it) and I'd need to have my MD send a fresh script to CVS. Of course by that time the office was closed for the day, it was Friday, and they weren't in again until Monday. Meanwhile I kept getting calls from Rite Aid telling me my prescription was ready even though I said the doctor sent it "by mistake" and that I wouldn't be picking it up. Rite Aid pharmacist was mightily peeved at both me and the doctor's office. Sometimes you just can't win.

(The difference between Rite Aid and CVS was $25 for the same prescription, via GoodRx coupons.)

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 12-22-2018 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 06:12 PM

563 posts, read 266,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
From that link:

GoodRx Gold is not insurance, cannot be combined with federal or state-funded programs like Medicare or Medicaid and does not meet creditable coverage requirements under state law.

So, the others are right, don't cancel your Part D unless you do so knowing you will be penalized if you need it in the future.

DH has Silverscript - see if it's available in your area. He pays about $24 a month with no deductible.
I'm well aware it's not insurance. It is a membership for discounts. I would be using a Gold Card from them, not a coupon. I spoke with my pharmacy and I got a price quote from GoodRx Gold for that drug store and I can check online as instructed by them per phone call to get prices for medications and it'll list prices for drug stores in my zip code. Our cost in minimal for our medications and we pay 9.99 a month for the Membership.

I was told by my drug store we can use our medicare part D insurance OR the GoodRx, it's either or.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 AM

319 posts, read 150,872 times
More important than GoodRx is to make sure that your doctors are writing for generics, when there is a generic available for a name brand medication.

Yes, some generics are ridiculously high priced, because of consolidation in the pharmacological industry (it's called a monopoly, and anti-trust laws "used to" limit this), but over all, generics are less expensive than name brand medications.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:01 AM

13,324 posts, read 25,288,295 times
I haven't used GoodRx on myself, but I did with my cat that had kidney disease, and it saved me hundreds of dollars on his prescriptions.

Here's another drug website that supposed to good.

https://www.discountdrugnetwork.com/drug-pricing/

Old 12-23-2018, 11:18 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,438,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Thankfully, I rarely need to get a prescription but when I do I find that no doctors will give a paper script anymore. They all insist on doing it electronically instead, which means you have to know WHICH pharmacy to tell them to e-send it to.

I always explain that with my bare-bones Part D I need to first find out via GoodRx which pharmacy I want to fill the prescription at, of the half dozen chains in my area. (I do not own a smartphone so it's not like I can check it right there while sitting on the exam table, LOL) So we usually compromise with me asking them to write the exact name of the prescription on the back of a business card and then I will call their office to tell them which pharmacy to e-send the script to. They are always annoyed at me insisting on this, and I am always annoyed that they can't just write out on paper like before and let me bring it to whatever pharmacy I want.

"Progress ain't always", LOL

ETA: The last time I had that conversation, the doctor insisted on sending it to a pharmacy while I was still in the office and that I "could have it transferred to a different pharmacy" if somewhere else turned out to be cheaper. Well of course that didn't work: CVS said they could not get the original script from Rite Aid (where the MD sent it) and I'd need to have my MD send a fresh script to CVS. Of course by that time the office was closed for the day, it was Friday, and they weren't in again until Monday. Meanwhile I kept getting calls from Rite Aid telling me my prescription was ready even though I said the doctor sent it "by mistake" and that I wouldn't be picking it up. Rite Aid pharmacist was mightily peeved at both me and the doctor's office. Sometimes you just can't win.

(The difference between Rite Aid and CVS was $25 for the same prescription, via GoodRx coupons.)

I've never encountered a doctor who will not write a paper script if asked. The computer programs that most of them are using now to document patient encounters all include the capability for preparing and printing paper prescriptions, referrals, letters, work excuses, and every other type of communication they need. And they all still have prescription pads.

Ask them why they won't give you a paper script, and if you don't like the answer (I suspect it might be something like they don't know how to account for the paper script in their electronic documentation system), find a doctor who will. You are the consumer; you have a right to get the service that you need.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:30 PM

3,850 posts, read 9,440,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I'm well aware it's not insurance. It is a membership for discounts. I would be using a Gold Card from them, not a coupon. I spoke with my pharmacy and I got a price quote from GoodRx Gold for that drug store and I can check online as instructed by them per phone call to get prices for medications and it'll list prices for drug stores in my zip code. Our cost in minimal for our medications and we pay 9.99 a month for the Membership.

I was told by my drug store we can use our medicare part D insurance OR the GoodRx, it's either or.
Sorry - I thought you were replacing your Part D. I'm in the same boat - I only have one small inexpensive prescription. When I get to Medicare in a couple of years, I hate to pay a premium for a service I don't need but will get penalized for if I do need it later. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement