U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-23-2018, 03:40 PM
 
Location: SoCal
6,071 posts, read 9,535,742 times
Reputation: 5816

Advertisements

The thing with requiring that everyone on Medicare has a Part D coverage is the same idea as the required insurance under Obamacare. If only sick people paid for insurance, the insurance would either be massively expensive or would have huge deductibles.

The whole idea of insurance, which most Americans seem to have completely forgotten (including the insurance companies), is that everyone pays in a little bit. If you're lucky you never or rarely need to collect on insurance, but if you're unlucky there's a pool of money you can access to relieve your losses.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2018, 08:10 PM
 
1,676 posts, read 786,197 times
Reputation: 2849
GoodRX is offering a benefit for either free, or very little in return. They are gathering your personal information for some reason known only to them. I would never use them, since I have no idea what they want my information for. And, pharmacists I know hate them, as it adds an additional workload at a time when the big pharmacies are cutting down on staff.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 01:05 PM
 
15 posts, read 5,366 times
Reputation: 21
Just jumping in here, since I'm doing a little research on online pharmacies to try and off-set my premium increases coming up in 2019...

Are there real savings in mail order plans with online pharmacies compared to the conventional prescription plans from a local CVS or Walgreens?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm on a few chronic prescriptions for non-psych illnesses and some that are also available otc (my doctor insists on writing a script for these thinking that they could be a little cheaper with my current med coverage, but I think some of that is also changing in 2019)

Mostly looking for 90-120 day supplies, I haven't heard of any online/mail order plans that do longer than that

Many thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 03:25 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 572,349 times
Reputation: 3127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
GoodRX is offering a benefit for either free, or very little in return. They are gathering your personal information for some reason known only to them. I would never use them, since I have no idea what they want my information for. And, pharmacists I know hate them, as it adds an additional workload at a time when the big pharmacies are cutting down on staff.
I don't know anything about the paid-membership Gold Card that the OP referred to, but as for using the website coupons GoodRx asks for absolutely no information at all. It is the same as if I were to print out a screenshot of this forum thread page, for instance.

@Moonlady, I know what you mean about the annoyance of having to pay for Part D coverage "just in case". I always take the lowest price Part D available, which this past year has been $12.60/month with Envision. They raised their premium to $16.50 for 2019 but even though I could switch to a new company (WellCare) they are more expensive than Envision for anything but a generic. So IMHO it's not worth bothering to switch companies just to save $12 a year in premiums.

As long as you check each November to see which company is offering the best deal for the upcoming year, you can keep your Part D expense as low as possible for your own medical situation. But always compare your Part D plan's out of pocket cost for a prescription to the price if you use a GoodRx coupon instead.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 03:35 PM
 
1,183 posts, read 762,904 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
GoodRX is offering a benefit for either free, or very little in return. They are gathering your personal information for some reason known only to them. I would never use them, since I have no idea what they want my information for. And, pharmacists I know hate them, as it adds an additional workload at a time when the big pharmacies are cutting down on staff.
they also charge the pharmacy a fee
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 04:28 PM
 
11,141 posts, read 8,551,921 times
Reputation: 28141
So, on average, Part D is less than $250 a year for most people and paying that bugs people? I pay more than that for my hair appointments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Texas of course
564 posts, read 267,406 times
Reputation: 2902
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So, on average, Part D is less than $250 a year for most people and paying that bugs people? I pay more than that for my hair appointments.
Ours is much higher than 250.00 a year. Does it bug me? No, it concerns me. My husband pays right at 60.00 per month Part D with the latest increase effective Jan. 1st. That equals 720.00 per year and my cost is the same as his for a grand total of 1440.00 per year Plus we pay a co-pay each time we get refills so yes, we are looking for a way to cut back. Maybe some retiree's have unlimited funds but we don't.

The reason for the question...I wanted to know if anyone here has the GoodRx Gold like us and if they use it for anything. As of now GoodRx will cover our current medications very cheap, just not sure if they would have anything we might need in the future. Right now we're on the 30 day free trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
they also charge the pharmacy a fee
It was our pharmacist that told us about GoodRx and I looked it up online when I got home.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 05:43 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,763 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Reputation: 14300
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
The thing with requiring that everyone on Medicare has a Part D coverage is the same idea as the required insurance under Obamacare. If only sick people paid for insurance, the insurance would either be massively expensive or would have huge deductibles.

The whole idea of insurance, which most Americans seem to have completely forgotten (including the insurance companies), is that everyone pays in a little bit. If you're lucky you never or rarely need to collect on insurance, but if you're unlucky there's a pool of money you can access to relieve your losses.
Medicare recipients are not required by law to have Part D or any other prescription drug coverage, unlike the until recently rescinded laws under Obamacare requiring everyone (except some people exempted under specific circumstances) to purchase health insurance or face a penalty come tax time.

A Medicare recipient can go without prescription drug plan coverage his/her whole life without penalties. The difference is that should said recipient change his/her mind and decide to enroll in a Part D plan some time after he/she is first eligible for it, or after he has dropped another "credible"drug plan, he will face a surcharge in addition to the premiums he pays for the Part D plan he chooses. The longer he has gone without this prescription drug coverage before he enrolls in a Part D plan, the higher the surcharge.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 10:23 PM
 
1,676 posts, read 786,197 times
Reputation: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I don't know anything about the paid-membership Gold Card that the OP referred to, but as for using the website coupons GoodRx asks for absolutely no information at all. It is the same as if I were to print out a screenshot of this forum thread page, for instance.
They get the information from the pharmacy when the prescription is filled.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2018, 04:34 AM
 
173 posts, read 65,062 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
They get the information from the pharmacy when the prescription is filled.
Can I ask how you found this out? I have posted in another thread that I've decided to try a Canadian pharmacy. They actually have a brick and morter store here in town that made me feel better about using them for my prescription. It will hopefully come in a about 3 weeks.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top